U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Which offers a better quality of life?
The US 102 45.74%
Canada 100 44.84%
It's a tie 21 9.42%
Voters: 223. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-08-2018, 03:37 PM
 
Location: Vancouver
12,696 posts, read 8,765,998 times
Reputation: 7313

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Be Proud View Post
There are many other factors like Black achievement
Which country has the wealthiest blacks ?
Which country has better treatment of Indigenous people?
Which country can a person of color be more engrained in the culture and history of their perspective countries?


Which country is a black person more likely to be detained by police?

Canada has what 5 major cities?In which only maybe 3 or 3 have significant black populations?For that matter the same with LBGT.
An individual has only one choice to live at one time would you choose a country where your personal options are limited to a handful of places with greater freedoms or a country where you have more options to fit your QOL as you need it?
Lets be real honest.
The only reaso so many people migrate to Canada rather than the US is because it so hard in the U.S.
I have a very good friend from France who tried really hard for 3 months to move to the U.S.
He settled for Montreal.
He likes it but he loves the US.
I only mentioned blacks because you did. Blacks in Canada. Which county has the biggest income gap for blacks?

Both countries have to answer to the treatment of indigenous peoples, but that again isn't directly connected to QOL for the country. It's down to personal again.

The percentage of LBGT in both countries , I'm pretty sure is the same. The question though, in which country are LGBT people more protected by law? Which country has afforded total equal rights to LGBT? In which country can you still get legally fired for being gay? Hint. USA In which country were gay people allowed to adopt almost 2 decades before the US? Hint. Canada. Which country has common-law marriage for same-sex couples across the whole country? Again, Canada.

As for immigration, you'r wrong. It's harder to immigrate to Canada.

"Almost everyone who immigrates to Canada has to first apply from overseas, and before they’re granted entry they’re subjected to extensive vetting by Canadian authorities. Those who make the cut have to wait months or years for their turn in line before being let in. Over the past 20 years, about 5 million immigrants chose Canada. But the vast majority only entered the country after Canada also chose them."

"Despite Canada’s open-door reputation, the country has some of the world’s most restrictive visa rules. A World Economic Forum survey of travel and tourism professionals ranked Canada among the worst in the world—120th out of 136 countries—for the restrictiveness of its visitor visa requirements. It’s a quiet but effective means of preempting irregular immigration."

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/ar...uccess/564944/

Last edited by Natnasci; 11-08-2018 at 03:47 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-08-2018, 03:45 PM
 
Location: Vancouver
12,696 posts, read 8,765,998 times
Reputation: 7313
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
This. Which country has a better quality of life for low-income people? That measure would be very revealing, I think. Are Canadian low-income neighborhoods as crime-ridden? Is medical coverage and service better? Schools? Public transit?
Life for low-income is probably higher in Canada because of yes, access to medical care doesn't cost them extra.

Poorer neighbourhoods have less crime than poorer US neighbourhoods.

Public transit is good.

Schools are funded differently than the US. They are provincially funded, so a school in a poor neighbourhood is funded the same as a schooling a wealthy neighbourhood.

Here's an American perspective.

" The United States can learn a lot from the education systems in other countries, and in the case of school nance, U.S. state governments have a lot to learn. Alberta, British Columbia, and Ontario, the three Canadian provinces explored in this report, provide models highlighting how one type of education-funding system—a provincial-level system, or in the United States, a state-level system— might work. is model is just one way and certainly not the only way to imple- ment a more equitable method of funding schools.
Ultimately, what ma ers most is that all schools receive the resources they need to successfully educate their students. e current system in most U.S. states— a joint local-state funding scheme—has o en failed to achieve this goal, even a er years of improvement e orts and numerous reforms. When the status quo isn’t working, despite repeated a empts to x the situation, it may be time to try something new."

https://www.americanprogress.org/wp-...nadaReport.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-08-2018, 03:46 PM
 
Location: Boston, MA
11,755 posts, read 8,316,820 times
Reputation: 5802
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
So many points to counter...but I'll start with quality of life compared in relation to just talking about another country. As Pierre Trudeau once said, a mouse living next to an elephant.

Every twitch the US does, affects Canada. The reason we are keen observers of the US is because we are your second largest trading partner, most of us have family and friends that live in the US, most of us have been to the US, and a lot of people in Canada pay attention to politics. Heck, even Europeans talk about the US and they aren't even next door. You are not a benign country. Just look at the last NAFTA talks. What would be considered strange in Canada, is Canadians NOT paying attention to what's happening in the US. These discussion Canadians have are not related to QOL.

I'm not sure where this 50 percent income tax comes from, but it's not accurate Everyone's situation is going to be different because of deductions, and the province they live in, but federal income taxes are pretty close, with the US actually higher in some levels. You also have to factor in state, and as I said, provincial income tax rates to compare more accurately.

You also have to remember that yes, healthcare is included in those rates. No networks, no co-pays, no deductibles etc. So if someone in the states pays a little less tax overall, they still have to factor in what they have to pay outside of those taxes. It can get quite messy, but suffice to say, Canadians are not burdened by taxes. We have a very high standard of living and quality of life, and we constantly get rated higher than the US.


https://www.usnews.com/news/best-cou...life-full-list

https://www.irs.com/articles/2018-fe...ard-deductions

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-age...ous-years.html

Careful! The opposite of benign is malignant. Not cool.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-08-2018, 03:50 PM
 
Location: Gatineau, Québec
21,952 posts, read 27,377,612 times
Reputation: 8612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Careful! The opposite of benign is malignant. Not cool.
How about "the U.S. is not a placebo nation"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-08-2018, 03:50 PM
 
Location: Vancouver
12,696 posts, read 8,765,998 times
Reputation: 7313
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Careful! The opposite of benign is malignant. Not cool.
"be·nign
/bəˈnīn/Submit
adjective
1.
gentle; kindly.
"her face was calm and benign"
synonyms: kindly, kind, warmhearted, good-natured, friendly, warm, affectionate, agreeable, genial, congenial, cordial, approachable, tenderhearted, gentle, sympathetic, compassionate, caring, well disposed, benevolent
"a benign grandfatherly role"

2.
MEDICINE
(of a disease) not harmful in effect: in particular, (of a tumor) not malignant.
synonyms: harmless, nonmalignant, noncancerous; benignant
"a benign tumor"


Now which definition did you think I was using?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-09-2018, 02:13 AM
 
926 posts, read 315,376 times
Reputation: 438
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
I only mentioned blacks because you did. Blacks in Canada. Which county has the biggest income gap for blacks?

Both countries have to answer to the treatment of indigenous peoples, but that again isn't directly connected to QOL for the country. It's down to personal again.

The percentage of LBGT in both countries , I'm pretty sure is the same. The question though, in which country are LGBT people more protected by law? Which country has afforded total equal rights to LGBT? In which country can you still get legally fired for being gay? Hint. USA In which country were gay people allowed to adopt almost 2 decades before the US? Hint. Canada. Which country has common-law marriage for same-sex couples across the whole country? Again, Canada.

As for immigration, you'r wrong. It's harder to immigrate to Canada.

"Almost everyone who immigrates to Canada has to first apply from overseas, and before they’re granted entry they’re subjected to extensive vetting by Canadian authorities. Those who make the cut have to wait months or years for their turn in line before being let in. Over the past 20 years, about 5 million immigrants chose Canada. But the vast majority only entered the country after Canada also chose them."

"Despite Canada’s open-door reputation, the country has some of the world’s most restrictive visa rules. A World Economic Forum survey of travel and tourism professionals ranked Canada among the worst in the world—120th out of 136 countries—for the restrictiveness of its visitor visa requirements. It’s a quiet but effective means of preempting irregular immigration."

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/ar...uccess/564944/
??huh?
Quote:
Since the late 1980s, Canada has consistently been a high-immigration country, at least relative to the U.S. As a result, the proportion of Canadians born outside the country hit 21.9 percent in 2016. That same year, America’s foreign-born population was 13.4 percent.
That quote is from your own article


I wouldnt say it unless I got it from a source,The US is here in this list as being one of the hardest to gain citizenship
https://www.investopedia.com/article...itizenship.asp
For Americans and Mexicans its easier as I said
Quote:
NAFTA Work Permits
Under the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA), American and Mexican citizens may be eligible for facilitated processing when applying for a temporary Work Permit in Canada.
https://www.canadavisa.com/nafta-wor...tml#gs._cOSWPE

Canada is a super liberal country,Id say thats not always good,
Everything in Canada is super expensive,I couldnt believe when I visited the grocery store in Mississauga while staying with a friend how very limited the selection was and how expensive things like American Cheese and milk was,Ridiculous.
Same when i went to the Duane Reade around the corner of another friend who lives off Jeanne Mance
Im not the biggest fan of the police but Toronto has one of the most corrupt police departments in North America.
I guess thats why Canada doesnt allow America dairy as your government gives heavy subsidies to protect dairy farmers.

Your largest city had the most vile racist man that made Trump look good as its mayor for many years.
A woman who was leader of a major party in Quebec pushed strong Nationalistic programs aimed at pushing out non native French speakers,
Discrimination among non French is relatively high in Quebec.

Gay Marriage is legal in every state so dont know what s your point.For all your liberal laws you would think you would see more Muslims,Latino,blacks and gays in high political positions andas CEO or executives.
I have a cousin that was beaten so badly in Toronto a few years ago.He was beaten because he had a white girlfriend.My cousin is from the South and he went all the way to Canada to get hospitalized due to a hate crime.

Two years ago I was in Toronto just before PRIDE visiting a very good friend who is Canadian by Jamaican parentage.
He actually lived in the US and only returned to Canada to take care of his mother who eventually died,Its been a decade since he has been back in Canada and he still wishes to come back to the US even though he actually is doing quite well.
He wants to go back because he and other blacks feel like the ceiling is much lower and harder for blacks to rise to the upper echelons of success as in America.
He says he and other black professionals complain about this all the time,One only needs to look across the board from politics to business and see it is even much whiter than it is in America.

He is a successful black gay male living in Toronto.A week after I came back I got this from another friend who lives in Montreal who saw this and sent it to me

https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/video?cli..._WVrbqnohHVqlU

One thing to pass laws but if there is no way to make sure they are enforced,its just an exercise in futility.

Whats strange is you would expect to see more inclusion but you don't.
This past election in Texas alone all 19 black women who ran for office for judge positions won their races.In Texas.

Now you talk about studies and such and say its the countries but which country are you more likely to see or hearmore of the things I have mentioned?
I am a perso who happens to be black,I id not make this distinction,Society did.So in dealing and realizing where the most promise is offered,why would I pick Canda as a place for me to flourish?
Perhaps if I were poor then I agree Canada is better.That seems to be where the problem starts when you want more from Canadian society

Last edited by Be Proud; 11-09-2018 at 02:22 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-09-2018, 06:54 AM
 
3,230 posts, read 1,560,833 times
Reputation: 2364
Lots of stereotyping floated in this thread on especially the US having no Vail of services to the poor. Plenty on the US welfare rolls too. Most have free medical care. You need to really be poor, own little, especially be disadvantaged, have a disability of sorts, prison and arrest records that hamper hire-ability, emotional issues clearly a big issue, have young children that clearly puts you a sure-bet to get it. But PLENTY of rules that must be followed. Some break them and lose benefits. Most isn't without meeting minimum criteria regularly needing re-approvals.

Poor, disabled and poorer retired can apply for regional and state heating homes assistance that is many times donated funds etc.

Plenty on state disability rolls too. Emotional, drug abused caused and of course physical. Many also get free medical. My ex-wife is one. Years of emotional scares from childhood sexual abuse, had some physical issues but a major car accident added to it. Had hospitals drop forgive her bills even before disability.

Though we eventually did get back together ..... here issues remain all real, Her disability continues. But to continue to get the free medical portion..... we couldn't remarry. Under my insurance she would have to join. Much in doctor visits would be out-of-pock. Most in-hospital procedures and stays would be covered. But I'd be broke just on Psychiatrist visits. Plus specialist, medicine changes that each change to dosage and new med would be insurmountable.

Most states have a state sponsored insurance every child is covered as my state regardless of income. But higher incomes you pay a potion then. Every child has formula and other minimums paid by the state. You must apply of course for it.

The olé stereotype of generations on welfare is still true. But according to the Canadians. Poor get nothing in the US. One really false statement. Middle-class though do get least. They fall thru cracks in owning too much and risk of loosing it.

You also have funding to pay for care of family members who are Autistic and such for life. My Brother takes care of out 50 year old Autistic cousin. He must keep records of money spent. Very little is for more. My brother also gets a fee now to care for our 85-year old Mother. Keeping her out of a nursing home.

Finally county paid elderly care visits have others aid in her care, bathing and staying there while he shops etc.

All the small cities near me have government subsidized senior-citizen high-rises basically. Those especially relying on just Social security and mostly Widows .... live there in nice apartments the rest of ther lives. Services provided too.

That ALL IS NOTHING.

Last edited by DavePa; 11-09-2018 at 07:27 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-09-2018, 09:23 AM
 
Location: East Coast of the United States
17,276 posts, read 19,572,199 times
Reputation: 13060
Canada is largely Americanized nowadays.

Most Americans don’t think there’s that much difference between the U.S. and Canada, except that the U.S. has 9 times the population. Canada is basically that quiet country up north.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-09-2018, 11:53 AM
 
926 posts, read 315,376 times
Reputation: 438
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
Lots of stereotyping floated in this thread on especially the US having no Vail of services to the poor. Plenty on the US welfare rolls too. Most have free medical care. You need to really be poor, own little, especially be disadvantaged, have a disability of sorts, prison and arrest records that hamper hire-ability, emotional issues clearly a big issue, have young children that clearly puts you a sure-bet to get it. But PLENTY of rules that must be followed. Some break them and lose benefits. Most isn't without meeting minimum criteria regularly needing re-approvals.

Poor, disabled and poorer retired can apply for regional and state heating homes assistance that is many times donated funds etc.

Plenty on state disability rolls too. Emotional, drug abused caused and of course physical. Many also get free medical. My ex-wife is one. Years of emotional scares from childhood sexual abuse, had some physical issues but a major car accident added to it. Had hospitals drop forgive her bills even before disability.

Though we eventually did get back together ..... here issues remain all real, Her disability continues. But to continue to get the free medical portion..... we couldn't remarry. Under my insurance she would have to join. Much in doctor visits would be out-of-pock. Most in-hospital procedures and stays would be covered. But I'd be broke just on Psychiatrist visits. Plus specialist, medicine changes that each change to dosage and new med would be insurmountable.

Most states have a state sponsored insurance every child is covered as my state regardless of income. But higher incomes you pay a potion then. Every child has formula and other minimums paid by the state. You must apply of course for it.

The olé stereotype of generations on welfare is still true. But according to the Canadians. Poor get nothing in the US. One really false statement. Middle-class though do get least. They fall thru cracks in owning too much and risk of loosing it.

You also have funding to pay for care of family members who are Autistic and such for life. My Brother takes care of out 50 year old Autistic cousin. He must keep records of money spent. Very little is for more. My brother also gets a fee now to care for our 85-year old Mother. Keeping her out of a nursing home.

Finally county paid elderly care visits have others aid in her care, bathing and staying there while he shops etc.

All the small cities near me have government subsidized senior-citizen high-rises basically. Those especially relying on just Social security and mostly Widows .... live there in nice apartments the rest of ther lives. Services provided too.

That ALL IS NOTHING.
WOW.Its true!Adversaries become allies when their familial interest are aligned.lol
Ive said this a couple of times and some just keep with this narrative that Canada is the land of "rainbows and Candy Apples" and the U.S. is the rotting carcass of a dead animal hit in the middle of the street.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-09-2018, 11:53 AM
 
Location: Boston, MA
11,755 posts, read 8,316,820 times
Reputation: 5802
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
"be·nign
/bəˈnīn/Submit
adjective
1.
gentle; kindly.
"her face was calm and benign"
synonyms: kindly, kind, warmhearted, good-natured, friendly, warm, affectionate, agreeable, genial, congenial, cordial, approachable, tenderhearted, gentle, sympathetic, compassionate, caring, well disposed, benevolent
"a benign grandfatherly role"

2.
MEDICINE
(of a disease) not harmful in effect: in particular, (of a tumor) not malignant.
synonyms: harmless, nonmalignant, noncancerous; benignant
"a benign tumor"


Now which definition did you think I was using?
If you take the first two definitions then you said that the US in neither gentle nor kind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top