Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which offers a better quality of life?
The US 105 44.49%
Canada 107 45.34%
It's a tie 24 10.17%
Voters: 236. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2018, 01:54 PM

26,873 posts, read 37,997,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Be Proud View Post

Do you think if Canada was as populated as the US they could provide the same level of healthcare they do now?
It's not a question of population, it's a question of political will and public policy. And even "mindset".

More people in the country means more people who can pay taxes to pay for the universal healthcare system. The US and Canada have similar percentages of taxpayers relative to their population. We pay for a healthcare system relative to the population we have. You'd do the same if you chose to go that route.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2018, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Some people may just be better at accents, but Canadians can tell Americans apart from them, and many, many Americans I have met over the years pick up on my accent.

Even Californians, which have an accent very similar to my part of BC, give themselves away with terms they use, and vowel sounds.
His statement was too much of a "blanket" one it's true, but still it's true that lots of Canadians and Americans have trouble telling each other apart. Many Canadians say that they sound basically the same as Americans and many Americans are of the same view.

Unless they are especially attuned it's quite difficult for a lot of Anglosphere people to tell Canadians and Americans apart. Which is totally understandable. I mean, do you think the average person in Denver, CO or Moose Jaw, SK can tell an Aussie, a Kiwi and a Brit apart? Certainly not.

And let's not talk about people who are not native speakers of English.

Heck, my kids are Canadians, but French speakers, and they can't tell someone from Denver or California apart from someone from Toronto or Vancouver. Though they will know that someone with a very strong accent like US Southerners is not Canadian. But the more neutral American accent? Nope. Those people could be Canadians to their ears.

Old 11-12-2018, 09:51 PM

923 posts, read 664,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Again, it has nothing to do with the OVERALL QOL a country. It has everything to do with the QOL for those individuals.

Where race affects the QOL in a country is how minorities are treated OVERALL, not the ability of a few to make money.
You are really being ridiculous.The way the question was posed is just simple.He gave no parameters or anything but you by your constant insistence by suggesting that you are right and everyone else who answered differently are wrong.Truth is we both are right as we see the question.

If quality of life for you is measured differently than I as far as how high each issue is weighed,then we will both have differing opinions.

I never said Canadian minorities are not included.I said the US does it better.I showed many examples and you came up with the Chief of Police of Toronto. You know how many black police chiefs inmajor US cities?Or Mayors?Heads of state and federal agencies?In Canada I see no Black owned banks,no historic black colleges or Universities( these schools are not only for blacks).
That right there is very telling.

A total of 1.2% are black and 1.4% Latino in Vancouver with all its diversity.Why are not people from those backgrounds flocking to Canada
Toronto and Montreal have the highest percentage of Latino and Blacks
Even Salt Lake City Utah in America has more blacks and Latinos than that.

Let me be clear that I do think anyone, no matter what race or color can have a great quality of life in any country or city, but really it comes down to the mindset of the individual.

My quality of life would actually decrease if I were to move to Canada.I have fee healthcare in the US.I have a house and condo that are completely paid for.I don't pay anywhere the amount of taxes and I have a plethora of African American cultural offerings not found or not easily found in Canada.
Yes even weather effects quality more sun is essential to a healthy mind and body.

Old 11-12-2018, 10:21 PM

2,868 posts, read 2,813,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
New York State outside of the Greater NYC area has about the same population as New Jersey, Michigan and Virginia. It would be almost knocking on the door of the top 10 most populated states out of 50 if it were its own state.
Your numbers are way off. Michigan has 9,962,311 people. Upstate New York has 6,098,588.

Your argument is also silly. New York, Philadelphia, and Washington are appreciably warmer than Montreal and Toronto because of their proximity to the Atlantic. They are on average 7 degrees warmer than Toronto and even moreso against Montreal. It's a false equivalency.

Old 11-12-2018, 10:50 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,855,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Be Proud View Post
I never said Canadian minorities are not included.I said the US does it better.I showed many examples and you came up with the Chief of Police of Toronto. You know how many black police chiefs inmajor US cities?Or Mayors?Heads of state and federal agencies?In Canada I see no Black owned banks,no historic black colleges or Universities( these schools are not only for blacks).
That right there is very telling.

A total of 1.2% are black and 1.4% Latino in Vancouver with all its diversity.Why are not people from those backgrounds flocking to Canada
Toronto and Montreal have the highest percentage of Latino and Blacks
Even Salt Lake City Utah in America has more blacks and Latinos than that.
You do realize why the US has more black people and historically black institutions than Canada?

Old 11-13-2018, 03:03 AM

394 posts, read 597,668 times
When you get to standards of living, infrastructure, education levels, and advanced economies like the US & Canada, Quality of Life cannot be judged by statistics. When you get countries as well off as ours, QoL goes from being a numbers game to a personal preference. This is, in part, why Americans generally see their own country as having the higher QoL and Canadians feel the same about theirs.

Statistically we are more or less tied so it becomes a very subjective issue. Canadians naturally say Canada has the better QoL and Americans do the same because we are a product of our respective country`s values, norms, and culture. Canadians would find the idea of not having a robust government funded health, education, and social services system as unthinkable...………….it is part of our culture and we are raised to believe it is the right thing to do. Conversely the idea of a more taxing and larger government and the less emphasis on personal responsibility would be distasteful to Americans.

Americans see God Bless America and the hand on the heart as a patriotic thing to do or say but in Canada such thing would get more backlash than a declaration of war. In the US, fundamental Christian beliefs are often openly discussed in politics and is seen as appropriate as it is a Christian founded country but while Canada is also, bringing up religion in politics is political suicide and Canadians are steadfast in their belief of a complete separation between church and state.

We are a reflection of our culture and the society we are familiar with and formed from, so QoL is more about what society you feel most `comfortable` in and not in meaningless statistics like one country having a 0.3 years longer life expectancy or one place having a literacy rate of 99.7% while the other has 99.8.

Old 11-13-2018, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post

Your argument is also silly. New York, Philadelphia, and Washington are appreciably warmer than Montreal and Toronto because of their proximity to the Atlantic. They are on average 7 degrees warmer than Toronto and even moreso against Montreal. It's a false equivalency.
I never said that Montreal and Toronto were comparable to those cities in the winter. Though all of those cities would still be considered "cold winter" cities in most people's books.

Toronto and Montreal are more comparable to Chicago and Minneapolis. I knew that, of course.

Old 11-13-2018, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post
Your numbers are way off. Michigan has 9,962,311 people. Upstate New York has 6,098,588.

I'd say the definition of Upstate NY and what's included in it varies, but even if we take your figure, that's still more people than over 30 of the 50 states in the U.S. And Upstate NY has three metros of over 1 million people.

Remember I was responding to a post that was saying that it wasn't very populated. Everything is relative. The BosNYWAsh corridor could be said to be not very populated compared to the Indus and Ganges regions of India...

Anyway, the Upstate NY corridor going up the Hudson Valley and then across going to Albany and Buffalo is definitely not lightly populated or unpopulated by anyone's standards.

Old 11-13-2018, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
You do realize why the US has more black people and historically black institutions than Canada?
Of course.Yet the Black population in the US is still less than 15%.It doesnt mater how or why it just is,If you are a person of African descent,its an important distinction for most.

Old 11-13-2018, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
When you get to standards of living, infrastructure, education levels, and advanced economies like the US & Canada, Quality of Life cannot be judged by statistics. When you get countries as well off as ours, QoL goes from being a numbers game to a personal preference. This is, in part, why Americans generally see their own country as having the higher QoL and Canadians feel the same about theirs.

Statistically we are more or less tied so it becomes a very subjective issue. Canadians naturally say Canada has the better QoL and Americans do the same because we are a product of our respective country`s values, norms, and culture. Canadians would find the idea of not having a robust government funded health, education, and social services system as unthinkable...………….it is part of our culture and we are raised to believe it is the right thing to do. Conversely the idea of a more taxing and larger government and the less emphasis on personal responsibility would be distasteful to Americans.

Americans see God Bless America and the hand on the heart as a patriotic thing to do or say but in Canada such thing would get more backlash than a declaration of war. In the US, fundamental Christian beliefs are often openly discussed in politics and is seen as appropriate as it is a Christian founded country but while Canada is also, bringing up religion in politics is political suicide and Canadians are steadfast in their belief of a complete separation between church and state.

We are a reflection of our culture and the society we are familiar with and formed from, so QoL is more about what society you feel most `comfortable` in and not in meaningless statistics like one country having a 0.3 years longer life expectancy or one place having a literacy rate of 99.7% while the other has 99.8.
Insightful post.
Rep+1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.