Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which offers a better quality of life?
The US 105 44.49%
Canada 107 45.34%
It's a tie 24 10.17%
Voters: 236. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2019, 09:05 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by abcxyz423 View Post
Thanks for engaging. This is fun for me! Describing the links below, Alvord, Texas is one of many suburbs officially part of the Dallas-Ft. Worth Metroplex (no doubt I could have used many other examples). For reference - meteorologists define a winter season as (December 1 - February 28). When you average all 3 months (day AND night!), you will see that ALVORD, TEXAS winters are historically a fraction of a degree warmer than the CITY of Victoria, Canada itself.

However, Victoria's mild suburb - just a few miles to the east (Discovery Island) is a fraction-of-a-degree warmer than Alvord, Texas. Hence, by definition, the winters in Discovery Island, Canada - a suburb of the Greater Victoria(Canada) region - are historically warmer than the winters in Alvord, Texas (an official suburb of the DFW Metroplex). If you dig a little deeper, you'll see the source of those links are NOAA.

ALVORD, TEXAS

https://www.google.com/search?safe=a...30.tsLpUO2uB8U

VICTORIA, CANADA

https://www.google.com/search?safe=a...39.4D85lqpS4N0

DISCOVERY ISLAND, CANADA

https://www.google.com/search?safe=a...39.DUbv0wHElAM

Sorry but Alvord, TX is not a suburb of Dallas - it's nearly 80 miles north of Dallas. And to be honest, I can't imagine how you even found it for a comparison - it's got a whopping 1330 or so in population! (For comparison, Discovery Island is 10 miles from Victoria, BC - just for the record.)

Even so, even though your original assertion was that Victoria's winters were about as mild as those of Dallas, TX - let's go ahead and compare Alvord, TX (?????) with Victoria, BC.

Still considerably colder in Victoria than Alvord.

https://www.timeanddate.com/weather/...ctoria/climate
https://www.usclimatedata.com/climat...tates/ustx1807

Look I'm sure that Victoria has unusually mild winters - for Canada. But they're simply not as mild as those of the Dallas area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2019, 09:07 PM

3,335 posts, read 2,922,710 times
Now, U.S. Before 2005, Canada, thanks to Bill O Reilly who shot down all the Canadian welfare and enabling terrorists.

Old 02-22-2019, 07:42 AM

118 posts, read 96,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Sorry but Alvord, TX is not a suburb of Dallas - it's nearly 80 miles north of Dallas. And to be honest, I can't imagine how you even found it for a comparison - it's got a whopping 1330 or so in population! (For comparison, Discovery Island is 10 miles from Victoria, BC - just for the record.)

Even so, even though your original assertion was that Victoria's winters were about as mild as those of Dallas, TX - let's go ahead and compare Alvord, TX (?????) with Victoria, BC.

Still considerably colder in Victoria than Alvord.

https://www.timeanddate.com/weather/...ctoria/climate
https://www.usclimatedata.com/climat...tates/ustx1807

Look I'm sure that Victoria has unusually mild winters - for Canada. But they're simply not as mild as those of the Dallas area.
I think I see the root of the problem now.

For the record, you're obviously a very sweet person; and I am not trying to trash the South in any way whatsoever. In fact - I LOVE the South and I very honestly love the South much more than I like Canada. I just like giving facts that surprise people (most people).

So then - let's hit this from a different angle now. According to the enclosed links below (source: NOAA), the historically average winter temperature (Dec. 1 - Feb. 28) in Alvord, Texas is 43.8 degrees. The historically average winter temperature in Discovery Island, Canada, on the other hand, is 44.2 degrees. If you do the math yourself, you should obtain the same results.

Based on YOUR calculations, which location normally has warmer winters - Discovery Island, Canada OR Alvord, Texas?

ALVORD, TEXAS

https://www.google.com/search?safe=a....0.nn1nz3ygxXk

DISCOVERY ISLAND, CANADA

https://www.google.com/search?safe=a...30.zbv14AKqShM

Last edited by abcxyz423; 02-22-2019 at 08:23 AM..

Old 02-22-2019, 08:51 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
I think I see the root of the problem now.

For the record, you're obviously a very sweet person; and I am not trying to trash the South in any way whatsoever. In fact - I LOVE the South and I very honestly love the South much more than I like Canada. I just like giving facts that surprise people (most people).

So then - let's hit this from a different angle now. According to the enclosed links below (source: NOAA), the historically average winter temperature (Dec. 1 - Feb. 28) in Alvord, Texas is 43.8 degrees. The historically average winter temperature in Discovery Island, Canada, on the other hand, is 44.2 degrees. If you do the math yourself, you should obtain the same results.

Based on YOUR calculations, which location normally has warmer winters - Discovery Island, Canada OR Alvord, Texas?

ALVORD, TEXAS

https://www.google.com/search?safe=a....0.nn1nz3ygxXk

DISCOVERY ISLAND, CANADA

https://www.google.com/search?safe=a...30.zbv14AKqShM
Thank you.

Look, I'm not looking at averaging out the temps - I am looking at the average HIGHS and LOWS. The average HIGHS are considerably higher in Dallas than they are in Victoria, BC.

Alvord, TX is not a suburb of Dallas, so I'm not even looking at that - it's nearly 80 miles northwest of Dallas (and northwest of Fort Worth for that matter). It's on the way to Wichita Falls and Oklahoma City, and those weather patterns northwest of Dallas can differ considerably from Dallas, and the rest of Northeast Texas.

And it's in no way, shape or form any sort of vacation destination, or tourist draw, or anything like that - I had never even heard of it in fact - and I used to drive up to Wichita Falls regularly to visit my daughter when she lived there! So apparently I was driving right past Alvord and it never even registered.

But for the record, based on your links, Alvord TX has significantly more of a swing in temps than Discovery Island - significantly higher highs and lower lows. The average highs in Alvord (?????) are around ten degrees higher than Discovery Island during the winter. The average lows are quite a bit lower - so the temps drop significantly at night, probably due to low humidity.

All that's fine - I'm sure Discovery Island is beautiful, and so is Victoria, BC most likely, in it's own way - which seems to differ significantly from Dallas. Dallas' highs in the winter are ten to twelve degrees higher than Victoria, BC, and the lows are comparable, so that's an even bigger difference in "averages" overall.

For the record, saying that Alvord TX is a suburb of Dallas would be like saying Murchison, TX is a suburb of Dallas. Nope. Not by a long shot.

By the way, one of my life mottoes is "Life's too short to live in Dallas." I am not saying that Dallas weather is fabulous, because frankly I don't much care for it - too much concrete and it's too congested with too many vehicles and exhaust from those vehicles, in my opinion. The Dallas area also gets more severe storms, more wind and all that, than we tend to get an hour or so east of Dallas. But I don't much care for huge metro areas anywhere anyway.

Last edited by KathrynAragon; 02-22-2019 at 09:03 AM..

Old 02-22-2019, 09:20 AM

Default DFW Metroplex

Quote:
Thank you.

Look, I'm not looking at averaging out the temps - I am looking at the average HIGHS and LOWS. The average HIGHS are considerably higher in Dallas than they are in Victoria, BC.

Alvord, TX is not a suburb of Dallas, so I'm not even looking at that - it's nearly 80 miles northwest of Dallas (and northwest of Fort Worth for that matter). It's on the way to Wichita Falls and Oklahoma City, and those weather patterns northwest of Dallas can differ considerably from Dallas, and the rest of Northeast Texas.

And it's in no way, shape or form any sort of vacation destination, or tourist draw, or anything like that - I had never even heard of it in fact - and I used to drive up to Wichita Falls regularly to visit my daughter when she lived there! So apparently I was driving right past Alvord and it never even registered.

But for the record, based on your links, Alvord TX has significantly more of a swing in temps than Discovery Island - significantly higher highs and lower lows. The average highs in Alvord (?????) are around ten degrees higher than Discovery Island during the winter. The average lows are quite a bit lower - so the temps drop significantly at night, probably due to low humidity.

All that's fine - I'm sure Discovery Island is beautiful, and so is Victoria, BC most likely, in it's own way - which seems to differ significantly from Dallas. Dallas' highs in the winter are ten to twelve degrees higher than Victoria, BC, and the lows are comparable, so that's an even bigger difference in "averages" overall.

For the record, saying that Alvord TX is a suburb of Dallas would be like saying Murchison, TX is a suburb of Dallas. Nope. Not by a long shot.

By the way, one of my life mottoes is "Life's too short to live in Dallas." I am not saying that Dallas weather is fabulous, because frankly I don't much care for it - too much concrete and it's too congested with too many vehicles and exhaust from those vehicles, in my opinion. The Dallas area also gets more severe storms, more wind and all that, than we tend to get an hour or so east of Dallas. But I don't much care for huge metro areas anywhere anyway.
If you look under "Metroplex Cities and Towns", you'll see that Alvord is in the DFW Metroplex. You were assuming all along without really knowing the facts. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dallas...orth_metroplex

Old 02-22-2019, 10:12 AM

Default Meteorology

Quote:
Thank you.

Maybe if you worked at it more often, you'd acquire a more nuanced understanding of meteorology. There's a reason meteorologists define warmer in terms of average temperatures. It is one of my pet peeves when people look strictly at high temps.

The meteorological research in the area says that stable temperatures actually make a winter feel milder than otherwise - even if it only otherwise registered as an average winter. Wild temperature swings with lower average temperatures make NOT a milder winter!

Also - the January overnight lows are fully 14 degrees warmer in Discovery Island, Canada than Alvord, Texas. The way you initially received my information, it's very obvious that if I would have told you there are Canadians (Greater Victoria Region) that would shiver half-to-death in Wichita Falls, Texas in winter during the nights, there's not a snowball's chance in hell you would have believed me. Yet it's true (I use Wichita Falls since you're obviously familiar with the winters there).

Finally, there's a breakdown of DFW cities-and-towns in this link. It shows Alvord as being a part of the DFW Metroplex, as follows https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dallas...orth_metroplex

So if you accept the link, you accept my initial assertion that there are suburbs in the Greater Victoria Region of Canada that enjoy warmer winters (by definition!) than parts of the Dallas-Ft. Worth Metroplex. Now do you agree? If not...what's the problem now?

Last edited by abcxyz423; 02-22-2019 at 10:26 AM..

Old 02-22-2019, 10:24 AM

Default Denton mckinney

Quote:
Thank you.

Do you at least agree that Discovery Island, Canada (January average = 44.5 degrees), historically enjoys warmer Januarys than the larger, more well-known northern suburbs of the Dallas-Ft. Worth area such as Denton, Texas (January average 44 degrees) and McKinney, Texas (January average 44 degrees)?

McKinney, Texas

https://www.google.com/search?safe=a...10.7LxCphJOFUY

Denton, Texas

https://www.google.com/search?safe=a...10.h6vn31aEGs0

Discovery Island, Canada

https://www.google.com/search?safe=a...10.CbPlKgff86I

Old 02-22-2019, 10:36 AM

Default Intelligent

Quote:
Thank you.

By-the-way, I re-read some of my replies. By no means was I knocking your intelligence. You seem highly intelligent, indeed! I just think you're a little bit lacking in meteorology because you don't have the intense interest in the subject that I do, is all.

Last edited by abcxyz423; 02-22-2019 at 11:26 AM..

Old 02-22-2019, 11:49 AM

7,743 posts, read 15,864,026 times
Quote:
By-the-way, I re-read some of my replies. By no means was I knocking your intelligence. You seem highly intelligent, indeed! I just think you're a little bit lacking in meteorology because you don't have the intense interest in the subject that I do, is all.

Or you could just admit you reframed your arguments in a way your beloved Canadian city would "win". KA made it pretty clear she prefers a warmer climate then you just zeroed in only on winter temps on some random small town in Dallas's CSA... even when she pointed out microclimate differences.

Hot weather gals (and guys) are likely to be miserable in Canada (even in the Banana belt. PNW summers are too short IMO) and much happier down south.

Old 02-22-2019, 04:39 PM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,266,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
I love the diversity of America and would have a real problem living in a country that wasn't diverse. (I'm white).
I hope you’re joking....cuz if you’re not ....then you need to visit Toronto...asap!

It’ll make you head spin....and if you end up in the ICU, you’ll experience
some that great and much lower costing, Canadian health care...

Diversity baby, ....and we’re not talking just AA’s and hispanics and a bunch of random
generic american whites that have been in the USA for generations...that ain’t really diversity in my book.

Last edited by BMI; 02-22-2019 at 05:10 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.