Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which offers a better quality of life?
The US 105 44.49%
Canada 107 45.34%
It's a tie 24 10.17%
Voters: 236. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2018, 09:38 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,552,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Be Proud View Post
Not sure if you are genuine or being sarcastic but either way for you probably very little.For many minorities for which I am one, it means quite a bit although its not the only important thing
Dont expect you to understand.

Again, it has nothing to do with the OVERALL QOL a country. It has everything to do with the QOL for those individuals.

Where race affects the QOL in a country is how minorities are treated OVERALL, not the ability of a few to make money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2018, 12:19 AM

923 posts, read 665,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Again, it has nothing to do with the OVERALL QOL a country. It has everything to do with the QOL for those individuals.

Where race affects the QOL in a country is how minorities are treated OVERALL, not the ability of a few to make money.
Its not just about money!The few maybe less important to you because you may not be one of the few but for those few Its about inclusion.
All the OP said was "which is better"?He/She said nothing about a survey or studys.
Factors in those studys are given more weight and skew towards a certain demographic.
Why ask a question where there are countless studies that answer that question?
CD community was asked.Period.
You dont like the fact that not everybody likes what you like.No study can convince me where I might live my best life.It can suggest but each person is different.
Many minorities easily assimilate to the point they just loose their cultural identity
Thats nothing I would want no part in as I would be depressed not having a real connection to my culture and history

Funy how no one is trying to change your mind but you sure are trying hard to change others.

Old 11-11-2018, 12:26 AM

8,975 posts, read 10,210,944 times
It’s a tough question, but I voted Canada.

First of all, Canada has a fraction of the population of the US. Smaller populations are much more easy to manage. Also, Canada is way more European in terms of culture than the US, due in part to the fact that the royal crown had and continues to have a heavy influence on Canada.

In the US, your quality of life can be way better than Canada, or way worse. But for the average joe, Canada will take better care of you than the US will.

Old 11-11-2018, 01:14 AM

27,564 posts, read 28,659,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Americanized? Certainly pop culture and entertainment is very present, but our institutions, our politics, our form of government, our public school, system, our post-secondary school system, our gun laws and our views on guns, and definitely our political views and our views on the role of government are VERY different from most Americans.
In spite of these differences, no objective person can tell Canadians (English-speaking) and Americans apart.

It’s funny how two different systems can produce populations that are almost exactly alike.

Old 11-11-2018, 03:34 AM

4,696 posts, read 5,822,831 times
I hate marijuana so I would pick the U.S because we still have some places left where it's illegal.

Old 11-11-2018, 08:37 AM

14,308 posts, read 11,697,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
In spite of these differences, no objective person can tell Canadians (English-speaking) and Americans apart.

It’s funny how two different systems can produce populations that are almost exactly alike.
What do you mean by that? You can't tell by looking at them? You can certainly tell by talking to them, if you talk to them long enough.

Old 11-11-2018, 08:57 AM

27,564 posts, read 28,659,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
What do you mean by that? You can't tell by looking at them? You can certainly tell by talking to them, if you talk to them long enough.
It’s the same culture to me, with minor or trivial differences.

There are more cultural differences between different parts of the U.S. than there are between the U.S. and Canada. Not that that’s a bad thing necessarily.

Old 11-11-2018, 11:12 AM

Quote:

Some people may just be better at accents, but Canadians can tell Americans apart from them, and many, many Americans I have met over the years pick up on my accent.

Even Californians, which have an accent very similar to my part of BC, give themselves away with terms they use, and vowel sounds.

Old 11-11-2018, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Be Proud View Post
Its not just about money!The few maybe less important to you because you may not be one of the few but for those few Its about inclusion.
All the OP said was "which is better"?He/She said nothing about a survey or studys.
Factors in those studys are given more weight and skew towards a certain demographic.
Why ask a question where there are countless studies that answer that question?
CD community was asked.Period.
You dont like the fact that not everybody likes what you like.No study can convince me where I might live my best life.It can suggest but each person is different.
Many minorities easily assimilate to the point they just loose their cultural identity
Thats nothing I would want no part in as I would be depressed not having a real connection to my culture and history

Funy how no one is trying to change your mind but you sure are trying hard to change others.
The way the question is posed, isn't about personal experience, but about measurable standards that affect a country as a whole.

If your point about rich blacks is about inclusion compared to Canada, it fails.

To also suggest that minority groups in the US have MORE inclusion than Canada, again it fails.

Old 11-11-2018, 11:25 AM

Quote:
It’s the same culture to me, with minor or trivial differences.

There are more cultural differences between different parts of the U.S. than there are between the U.S. and Canada. Not that that’s a bad thing necessarily.
It may share culture that all Anglo countries do, with the exception of Quebec of course.

Curious as to what you see as the minor or trivial differences?

The biggest cultural difference between Canada and the US are attitudes towards government, towards guns, towards healthcare, and our world views. These things become very apparent after a while and are not minor.

Yes there are people in both countries that share similar views on these topics, but it's not the national mindset.

There is also a lot of cultural differences within Canada, Newfoundland, Quebec and the far north are obvious examples.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.