U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2018, 01:11 AM

17,633 posts, read 8,845,467 times

Advertisements

When I was a kid in the 60's, and 70's in suburban Philly we did have Mischief Night the night before Halloween. The mischief consisted of soaping windows, toilet paper in trees, ringing doorbells and running, smashing pumpkins, and lighting off a few fire crackers. Nothing destructive that I ever heard. Many of the neighborhood kids went out for this. Not as many as Halloween, as it was all just boys doing it at this time anyway.

Halloween night was strictly for trick or treating to get candy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2018, 05:22 AM

23,054 posts, read 35,012,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I was a real goody two-shoes (OMG, where did that come from?) so I didn't egg houses or anything like that, but some of the boys in my class did. We didn't even have a name for that where I grew up, and not much happened. We just went from house to house hoping to get some candy. It was all pretty tame.

I remember being expected to do something like sing a couple of lines of a Halloween song or tell a joke to earn the treat. You don't get much of that these days.

I used to like when the teenagers came around at 9 of so. I could either dump my leftover candy in their pillowcases or give them something like ramen or canned soup. They were also willing to perform. If I asked for a joke, I got a doozey. They were always willing to sing. One of them juggled.

I now live on a dead street. I got three early trick-or-treaters.
Sounds like you had a great time on Halloween.
Another tradition that has fallen by the wayside: Christmas caroling. We had a band of neighbors that would roam the neighborhood singing Christmas carols door-to-door, followed by a get-together at someone's house. The kids would get hot chocolate and cookies; the adults, something more fortifying.

Old 11-01-2018, 05:38 AM

1,292 posts, read 1,199,984 times
We have a house in the city (Houston inner loop) and had at least 100 kids at the house trick or treating last night. Several were in groups of 5-10 kids that came with parents following, and a few parents dressed in costume bringing younger kids. It was intermittently rainy so otherwise we probably would have had more kids.

When we lived in the suburbs 10 years ago we didn't have many kids at all, and several neighbors kept their houses dark. The churches there discouraged trick or treating and held their own "harvest" or "fall" events, since apparently going door to door was too dangerous or non-Christian or something. Some neighborhoods "restricted" trick or treating for certain hours.

I am so glad we live in a city again.

Growing up in Buffalo, we went door to door 2 nights in a row - Beggar's Night and Halloween. I don't know if that is still the tradition there, but I remember getting quite a haul as a kid.

Old 11-01-2018, 05:41 AM

2,384 posts, read 909,421 times
Mischief night here was uneventful.
Halloween we had 45 trick or treaters between approximately 5pm till 853pm. At 9pm the front light went off.

Old 11-01-2018, 07:17 AM

44,694 posts, read 36,132,256 times
"Mischief Night" here (Tyler - NE Texas) might get you shot, so we don't have that, and I am very glad we don't, as a homeowner. It's never caught on around here and I don't want it to.

Note to people moving from "Mischief Night" areas to here (and there are plenty of them): Don't do it. You may come away with a butt full of buckshot, or worse. You have been warned.

We live in a large suburb outside of "downtown" and generally we have between 300 and 400 kids every Halloween! Most come in groups of 3 to 5 but often the parents dress up and bring young children. It's huge here. We were warned by our neighbors at the first HOA meeting in the summer that we attended. They said, "Buy lots of Halloween candy, because people drive in from all around and from the rural areas and trick or treat in our neighborhood," and apparently that's true, which is great with me!

We always decorate our large porch and front yard with Halloween stuff and Halloween lights and we play a Halloween playlist, dress in costume, etc.

Last night it was POURING rain and storming from around 5 till around 10 pm - peak trick or treating hours. In spite of the rain, we still had about 80 kids come through. I'd say that probably one in four houses in our neighborhood participated, but when it's not storming, we typically have about 3 out of 4 homes participating. The stormy forecast shut down our usual neighborhood Haunted House which usually attracts people from miles around.

I was grateful for that big covered porch last night because my neighbor and I sat outside on the porch in our costumes and shined a flashlight up and down the walk way as car and truck loads of kids pulled up in the rain, thunder and lightning. The kids would open the doors, and run squealing up the walkway in the pouring rain and flashing lightning! It was a smaller, different Halloween due to the severe weather and to be honest at first I thought it would be a dull night, but at the end of the evening, I realized it turned out to be very satisfying and fun!

I hope next year we are back to normal with 300 to 400 kids coming through. The weather the past two years has been rough for Halloween. But I think it is still very much alive and well around here!

Old 11-01-2018, 07:49 AM

6,939 posts, read 6,550,788 times
Being born in 1998 makes you a 90s kid? Weird. I was born in the 70s but I grew up in the 80s so I consider myself an 80s kid. Id call you a 00s kid.

Old 11-01-2018, 07:57 AM

33,879 posts, read 42,096,122 times
I think that generally the hell raising started disappearing as the Baby Boomers grew up. Where I was car windows got soaped, corn was thrown at windows (the local milling company liked that aspect), pumpkins got smashed. They also got rolled down the steepest hill in town.

Here pumpkins will occasionally get smashed but even that is cyclical. Several years ago we had a couple year rash of street signs getting pulled down on weekends. That went on every week and then suddenly stopped. I figured the people doing it either moved or got locked up for something else.

Old 11-01-2018, 09:00 AM

501 posts, read 330,196 times
Richmond is pretty festive when it comes to Halloween. The city blocks off most of Hanover Ave to cars and from around 5 to 8 literally, thousands of Kids are out trick or treating. At least 70% percent of the houses participate and are decorated. After about 9 it turns more into an adult type of Halloween block party scene. Good times

https://www.richmond.com/entertainme...40433032c.html

I imagine it may be quieter out in the suburbs but I haven't experienced it to know for sure.

Last edited by mpier015; 11-01-2018 at 09:41 AM..

Old 11-01-2018, 09:09 AM

2,983 posts, read 2,139,021 times
It seems like the grown-ups of today are lot more into Halloween than they were back in the 1960's and 70's. It's become one of the more popular party holidays in the United States.

Old 11-01-2018, 09:36 AM

7,289 posts, read 15,342,559 times
We had maybe 30 trick or treaters last night - mostly because although we live in town, my street is fairly steep and isolated. Of course, when I went out to the street, my house was the only house lit up for at least a block in either direction. The family down the street had taken their kids to the party at the school - live music, games, treats there.

Mischief Night never existed on the west coast (anywhere I lived, and I have lived in Oregon, Washington and California). When I was 9 or so we moved to the east coast (NYC for a year and then Bergen County NJ) and even my young self was sort of appalled at the idea of my classmates to buy eggs to throw at cars.
City-Data Terms of Service: http://www.city-data.com/terms.html
City-Data FAQ: http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.