U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2018, 01:10 PM

943 posts, read 414,687 times

Advertisements

Happy Halloween!

How is Halloween where you live? I live in a NJ suburb. My street is walkable, but most of NJ is not walkable, but when I went trick or treating when I was little (I am 20 years old now), we enjoyed it and we walked on many streets in my town. Mischief night was a bit bad back in the day, because all the kids on my block (we are 90s kids) would do some bad stuff like even throwing eggs at people's houses. Mischief night gradually diminished as I got older. When it began to disappear, all we got was toilet paper around our trees, but in the past few years, we had absolutely nothing. We have less trick or treaters in general and less from my town. Most of the trick or treaters are out of town kids even though there are lot of new kids on my street. We 90s kids had more fun and we were bad-a-s-s! I did not do mischief night when I was a kid. I didn't want to mischevious. In fact, one of my neighbors put on a Halloween presentation (where the neighbor's kids were actors) as trick treaters came by!

Last edited by potanta; 10-31-2018 at 01:26 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2018, 01:25 PM

5,672 posts, read 3,651,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by potanta View Post
We 90s kids had more fun and we were bad-a-s-s!

You must not be a homeowner, or else you wouldn't equate egging people's houses with "fun." Thankfully, in my suburban Maryland neighborhood, we don't see the kind of Mischief Night "pranks" as you describe. It's just a night for happy children to scurry about from house to house, collecting candy, while some of the adults sit outside and socialize while distributing said candy.

In my neighborhood, trick-or-treating generally starts around 6:30 and winds up by 8:00, with the occasional straggler coming up as late as 9:00. We used to get around 100 kids at our door, but the kids have been growing up and there's not much turnover, so now we're down to about 25 or so. It'll be mild and dry tonight, so it'll be interesting to see if we get more than that tonight.

Old 10-31-2018, 02:36 PM

2,166 posts, read 1,465,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by potanta View Post
We 90s kids had more fun and we were bad-a-s-s!

Haha, just so you realize, 90s kids were very sheltered compared to 50s, 60s, or 70s kids. They were much more bad a-s-s back then

I think really during the entire past 50 years there's been a general increasing trend toward less freedom for kids, and more 'structured' type of outings, and just much less outdoor activity in general. Especially since video games, and now smartphones took over, that really sent the indoor/inactive trend to a whole new level. Its kind of sad.

Old 10-31-2018, 06:34 PM

1,743 posts, read 3,990,856 times
Halloween and many other Holidays seem like it's not as festive as in the past...I even notice less trick-o-treaters in my neighborhood as well,so I don't know if modern technology has something to do with this,but it is a strange phenomenon.

Even TV,Music is kinda lousy today compared to the past

And Happy Halloween to you all too

Old 10-31-2018, 07:08 PM

6,579 posts, read 3,670,806 times
Where I live now, Halloween is nonexistent but that's just my neighborhood because we have only a few kids at the end of the street and it's a long walk between houses. Other more densely populated neighborhoods would have more activity. There are organized events but not many people decorate their houses of yards like in the Midwest where I came from. It bordered on crazy there.

We are big on Dia de los Muertos and there is a big turnout for the Marigold Parade both as participants and spectators (November 4th this year).

As a baby boomer I can member hordes of kids going house to house -- the streets were full of kids in all sorts of costumes.

Old 10-31-2018, 07:28 PM

23,096 posts, read 35,052,903 times
No mischief here, but we had lots of kids. We went through three large bags of candy.
The kids were all sweet and well-mannered.

Old 10-31-2018, 10:00 PM

32,377 posts, read 55,182,951 times
We had a ton of kids come by tonight.

Old 10-31-2018, 10:09 PM

789 posts, read 370,650 times
We live in a very rural community so trick-or-treating between houses means walking a lot, in the snow. So instead it's all about trunk-or-treating here.

The people go all crazy decorating their trucks with lights, jack-o'-lanterns, the guy next to us had a taxidermied wolf in the back of his truck. It's a lot of fun for the kids, and the adults. We had a blast, the kids buckets were almost overflowing. Next year hubby wants to set up a fog machine, and make our truck really spooky. Lol.

Is it the same as trick or treating when I was a kid?, No, but just because it's different doesn't mean it's bad.

Old 11-01-2018, 12:13 AM

17,686 posts, read 4,076,675 times
Trick or treating is really big in my subdivision.Trunk or treating is popular here too.

Old 11-01-2018, 01:00 AM

25,039 posts, read 23,933,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Buster View Post
Haha, just so you realize, 90s kids were very sheltered compared to 50s, 60s, or 70s kids. They were much more bad a-s-s back then

I think really during the entire past 50 years there's been a general increasing trend toward less freedom for kids, and more 'structured' type of outings, and just much less outdoor activity in general. Especially since video games, and now smartphones took over, that really sent the indoor/inactive trend to a whole new level. Its kind of sad.
I was a real goody two-shoes (OMG, where did that come from?) so I didn't egg houses or anything like that, but some of the boys in my class did. We didn't even have a name for that where I grew up, and not much happened. We just went from house to house hoping to get some candy. It was all pretty tame.

I remember being expected to do something like sing a couple of lines of a Halloween song or tell a joke to earn the treat. You don't get much of that these days.

I used to like when the teenagers came around at 9 of so. I could either dump my leftover candy in their pillowcases or give them something like ramen or canned soup. They were also willing to perform. If I asked for a joke, I got a doozey. They were always willing to sing. One of them juggled.

I now live on a dead street. I got three early trick-or-treaters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.