U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2018, 11:01 PM

13 posts, read 7,096 times

Advertisements

Hello all, so climate is very important to me regarding an upcoming move I plan on making, and after hours of relentless research, I've come to a roadblock. I'm looking for a city that doesnt get too humid, yet recieves a solid amount of rainfall every year(think 30 inches or so) 1 that is also sunny around and upwards of 65% of the year, and stays within the 40-90 degree Fahrenheit throughout the year. Essentially a sunnier version of seattle, or a wetter version of San Diego. I haven't found any climate like this(aside from maybe Hawaii, which I can't relocate to) but if anyone knows of a place that fits the bill or is remotely close to it, thatd be wonderful and id appreciate it greatly. Does my idea of perfect weather exist? Thank you.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2018, 12:08 AM

17,658 posts, read 4,058,482 times
I do not think you can have plenty of rain and not humid in the same place.

Old 11-01-2018, 01:31 AM

No doubt, but humidity while its raining is fine and expected.

Old 11-01-2018, 02:21 AM

1,228 posts, read 505,216 times
The leeward sides of the Hawaiian Islands. Theyíre the sunnier, more arid sides, but still receive a decent amount of rain. Rainfall will vary island to island, but will be in your 30 inch range. Why canít to relocate there?

Santa Cruz, CA. You wonít have as much sun and warmth as San Diego, but youíll get twice the rain, almost in your range. The water is a lot colder too. Its nowhere near as dreary as the Pacific Northwest as well.

For what itís worth Los Angeles will get more rain than San Diego. About 15 inches to our 10, with greater disparity during El NiŮo years, obviously less during drought years, because of the 10-11K ft mountains to their east vs the 5-6K ft to ours. Itíll trap the storms in more, but also the smog. Personally I donít think itís worth the trade off, but they do get more rain with similar temperatures.

Short of that itís starts getting cold and rainy fast once you get past the Bay Area along the California coast all the way to Seattle.

Old 11-01-2018, 02:36 AM

18,454 posts, read 9,554,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Localtourist23 View Post
Hello all, so climate is very important to me regarding an upcoming move I plan on making, and after hours of relentless research, I've come to a roadblock. I'm looking for a city that doesnt get too humid, yet recieves a solid amount of rainfall every year(think 30 inches or so) 1 that is also sunny around and upwards of 65% of the year, and stays within the 40-90 degree Fahrenheit throughout the year. Essentially a sunnier version of seattle, or a wetter version of San Diego. I haven't found any climate like this(aside from maybe Hawaii, which I can't relocate to) but if anyone knows of a place that fits the bill or is remotely close to it, thatd be wonderful and id appreciate it greatly. Does my idea of perfect weather exist? Thank you.
Santa Rosa, Ca.

Old 11-01-2018, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
The leeward sides of the Hawaiian Islands. Theyíre the sunnier, more arid sides, but still receive a decent amount of rain. Rainfall will vary island to island, but will be in your 30 inch range. Why canít to relocate there?

Santa Cruz, CA. You wonít have as much sun and warmth as San Diego, but youíll get twice the rain, almost in your range. The water is a lot colder too. Its nowhere near as dreary as the Pacific Northwest as well.

For what itís worth Los Angeles will get more rain than San Diego. About 15 inches to our 10, with greater disparity during El NiŮo years, obviously less during drought years, because of the 10-11K ft mountains to their east vs the 5-6K ft to ours. Itíll trap the storms in more, but also the smog. Personally I donít think itís worth the trade off, but they do get more rain with similar temperatures.

Short of that itís starts getting cold and rainy fast once you get past the Bay Area along the California coast all the way to Seattle.
Didn't know that about LA, thanks. Yeah I'm deep in East county San Diego and the lack of rain and general dryness/brownness out here gets pretty exhausting. Santa Cruz sounds good too, but I'm looking for outside of California or Hawaii. A less populated, somewhat lower cost of living. I was also thinking about the East Tennessee//West Carolina's,a although I'd definitely deal with humidity and cold temps out there. Can't have it all lol.

Old 11-01-2018, 02:56 AM

1,228 posts, read 505,216 times
Quote:
Didn't know that about LA, thanks. Yeah I'm deep in East county San Diego and the lack of rain and general dryness/brownness out here gets pretty exhausting. Santa Cruz sounds good too, but I'm looking for outside of California or Hawaii. A less populated, somewhat lower cost of living. I was also thinking about the East Tennessee//West Carolina's,a although I'd definitely deal with humidity and cold temps out there. Can't have it all lol.
Visit in the summer before you move. The humidity is oppressive in that part of the country, and then thereís the bugs. Iím not trying to discourage you, just want you to know what youíd be getting into. It definitely will be cheaper than here. Good luck

Old 11-01-2018, 06:04 AM

883 posts, read 438,805 times
Quote:
Eureka, CA gets you very close, but it sunny less than 50% of the year.

Old 11-01-2018, 09:17 AM

1,145 posts, read 1,471,932 times
You should look at maybe Colorado cities like Denver, Boulder, Colorado Springs. I read they dont get a lot of rainfall, similar to LA numbers about 20 or less inches. Not that humid either. And while it snows doesnt stay long I hear. you might want to ask in those city forums if your criteria almost match.

Old 11-01-2018, 10:27 AM

5,268 posts, read 3,311,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saybanana View Post
You should look at maybe Colorado cities like Denver, Boulder, Colorado Springs. I read they dont get a lot of rainfall, similar to LA numbers about 20 or less inches. Not that humid either. And while it snows doesnt stay long I hear. you might want to ask in those city forums if your criteria almost match.
The OP mentioned "40-90 degree Fahrenheit throughout the year", that pretty much eliminates Colorado.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.