U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2018, 08:12 PM

560 posts, read 538,176 times

Advertisements

Santa Monica, CA
Long Beach, LA
Venice Beach, CA
Hollywood Hills/Beverly Hills
Anaheim/Irvine, etc...
Basically, most any community in the LA region that is not LA proper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2018, 10:11 PM

1,498 posts, read 2,167,834 times
Denver and Salt Lake counties each account for less than half of their respective states' tourism dollars -- but are the largest single attraction.

Coastal towns definitely outdraw nearby cities, perhaps in total terms and certainly per capita.
- Newport, RI might outdraw nearby Providence in terms of total tourism, and certainly outdraws Fall River or New Bedford
- Virginia Beach certainly outdraws Norfolk (though its population now surpasses Norfolk's); even Williamsburg might outdraw Norfolk
- St. Augustine, Fla. is a bigger draw than Jacksonville
- Clearwater & St. Petersburg are bigger draws than Tampa
- Benton Harbor is the largest town in southwest Michigan, but does not see much benefit from adjoining "harbor country" beaches that cater to the Chicago market

Old 11-02-2018, 11:01 PM

915 posts, read 1,495,292 times
Lake Buena Vista probably gets more tourism than Orlando.

Old 11-02-2018, 11:42 PM

4,552 posts, read 3,633,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qsforyouu View Post
Phoenix is a nice place and so is Scottsdale... But many people CHOOSE to vacation, work, and live in Scottsdale, and in many ways it is a self contained bubble within its metro area (Phoenix). In a decentralized area, Scottsdale manages to be a center of sorts. So, my question is... Are there any other fairly big cities that have a similar relationship with a suburb?
Scottsdale is not more of a destination what a joke. Most of what the metro has to offer is well... in Phoenix proper. Such as most of the employment hubs, the majority (yes, the majority) of the mountains in the central section of the valley, the majority of attractions and most of the people (1 in 5 or 1 mil+ out of all the jurisdictions).

Sure there may be hotels in Scottsdale, but they are driving one or two miles over for what’s in Phoenix. To be fair to you this is a common misconception and it’s something even I had when I was younger. I thought Scottsdale went much further west than it actually does. The metro tends to blend together after a while.

The only suburb of Phoenix I would say is actually a center and more independent is Tempe. But even Tempe depends significantly on the rest of the 4.5 mil metro to support itself. Scottsdale even moreso because without the cheaper cities nearby, they wouldn’t have any bartenders, valet, concierge, office assistants, etc. So no neither of these areas are “self-contained”, Tempe not having enough residential areas for the industry, university, and corporate offices it has and Scottsdale not being affordable. It’s not like this in Phoenix where there is plenty of affordable and high-income neighborhoods, plenty of employment centers, and things to do. Scottsdale is not even the richest suburb so you can’t say that either.

Old 11-03-2018, 11:29 AM

1,558 posts, read 743,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
Are you saying Fort Worth is a suburb?Fort Worth is not a suburb.
Agreed, and Saint Petersburg isn't a suburb either, nor does Lake Tahoe, NV exist as a populated place. There needs to be a distinction between primary cities, secondary cities, suburbs, and natural features.

Old 11-03-2018, 01:35 PM

4,478 posts, read 2,659,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
Miami Beach is a separate city from Miami.
I'm referring to urban form, not administrative divisions.

Old 11-03-2018, 02:31 PM

23,042 posts, read 34,995,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
I'm referring to urban form, not administrative divisions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
These are generally parts of their inner cities.
I'm afraid I don't get it. How is Miami Beach part of Miami's 'inner city'? They're five miles apart and separated by a bay. Same with St. Petersburg/Clearwater and Tampa. It's fair to say that they are part of the same metro and are dependent on the same airport, but they are separate and distinct.

Old 11-03-2018, 03:26 PM

4,478 posts, read 2,659,202 times
The same way I'd consider Jersey City to be part of inner-city New York, even if MB is further. It's part of the dense agglomeration in the middle of town. You can get there in a few minutes by transit. Staten Island and the far parts of the other three boroughs are more separated from the lower half of Manhattan than it is. I'm talking about commutes, where people go for a night out, and so on.

Old 11-03-2018, 06:42 PM

1,987 posts, read 1,234,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post

Fort Worth, Texas
Not even remotely true. For one, Fort Worth is not a suburb. But I will say though that Fort Worth is actually very underrated as a destination.

Old 11-04-2018, 06:22 AM

23,042 posts, read 34,995,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bballniket View Post
Lake Buena Vista probably gets more tourism than Orlando.
For sure. Most all of Disney's facilities are located there or in the adjacent city of Bay Lake. Both are located about 25 miles from the city of Orlando.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or