U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 12-19-2018, 08:33 AM
 
Location: Washington, DC
674 posts, read 810,417 times
Reputation: 495

Advertisements

The Census Bureau has released the July 2018 estimates:

https://www.census.gov/newsroom/pres...nal-state.html
https://www.census.gov/data/tables/t...nal-total.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-19-2018, 08:48 AM
 
Location: East Tennessee and Atlanta
3,667 posts, read 8,769,891 times
Reputation: 2503
This is exciting--love this time of year when estimates released.

However, does anyone know offhand where the full list of the state by state can be found? The census bureau site does not make it easy to find from that link...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-19-2018, 08:49 AM
 
Location: Washington, DC
674 posts, read 810,417 times
Reputation: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
This is exciting--love this time of year when estimates released.

However, does anyone know offhand where the full list of the state by state can be found? The census bureau site does not make it easy to find from that link...
The spreadsheets with that information are on this page:
https://www.census.gov/data/tables/t...nal-total.html

Tables: Population Estimates, Population Change, and Components of Change
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-19-2018, 08:57 AM
 
11,975 posts, read 5,111,061 times
Reputation: 18709
It's very interesting. The only real surprise for me is that TN was not in the top ten for population growth and Conn being a New England state with a population loss.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-19-2018, 09:31 AM
 
494 posts, read 254,041 times
Reputation: 639
North Carolina & Georgia still playing population tag I see.

2017:

GA: 10,413,055
NC 10,270,800

2018:

GA:10,519,475 (+106,420)
NC: 10,383,620 (+112, 820)

I believe these 2 states will remain right behind each other for the foreseeable future. They are growing at almost the same rate and are only separated by a couple hundred thousand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-19-2018, 09:41 AM
 
Location: Atlanta metro (Cobb County)
1,561 posts, read 744,703 times
Reputation: 1668
It looks like there were a few ranking changes between 2017 and 2018:

Utah moved ahead of Iowa, switching 31st for 30th place.

Nevada surpassed both Mississippi and Arkansas, rising from 34th to 32nd place. Arkansas dropped from 32nd to 33rd, and Mississippi from 33rd to 34th.

Montana overtook Rhode Island, switching 44th for 43rd place.

Needless to say, the Mountain states were definitely a focal point for growth, as they have been for many years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-19-2018, 09:48 AM
 
Location: Reno, NV
1,520 posts, read 704,421 times
Reputation: 1953
I think Kansas is finally gonna shrink this time; it's been hovering on the edge for the last couple years. Illinois, West Virginia, Wyoming, and Mississippi, which have lost people the past two years, are likely to do so again.

We can also expect Michigan, Rhode Island, and Maine to continue their gradual upward trajectories of growth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-19-2018, 10:00 AM
 
Location: Boston Metrowest (via the Philly area)
4,452 posts, read 7,518,998 times
Reputation: 4334
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
It's very interesting. The only real surprise for me is that TN was not in the top ten for population growth and Conn being a New England state with a population loss.
A lot of people may not be aware that much, if not most, of New England outside of the Boston metro is pretty stagnant to slightly declining.

Economically, it's a pretty darn stable region so certainly there isn't wholesale abandonment, but the combination of super low birth rates, aging population, and out-migration (mostly weather related) are major headwinds for growth in the region.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-19-2018, 10:10 AM
 
Location: Mexico City, formerly Columbus, Ohio
13,097 posts, read 13,480,618 times
Reputation: 5771
Population on July 1, 2018 and Rank based on Total Change from 2017

1. Texas: 28,701,845: +379,128
2. Florida: 21,299,325: +322,513
3. California: 39,557,045: +157,696
4. Arizona: 7,171,646: +122,770
5. North Carolina: 10,383,620: +112,820
6. Washington: 7,535,591: +110,159
7. Georgia: 10,519,475: +106,420
8. Colorado: 5,695,564: +79,662
9. South Carolina: 5,084,127: +62,908
10. Nevada: 3,034,392: +61,987
11. Tennessee: 6,770,010: +61,216
12. Utah: 3,161,105: +57,987
13. Virginia: 8,517,685: +52,478
14. Oregon: 4,190,713: +44,121
15. Minnesota: 5,611,179: +43,024
16. Massachusetts: 6,902,149: 38,903
17. Idaho: 1,754,208: +35,304
18. Indiana: 6,691,878: +31,796
19. Ohio: 11,689,442: +25,313
20. Wisconsin: 5,813,568: +21,517
21. New Jersey: 8,908,520: +19,977
22. Michigan: 9,995,915: +19,468
23. Missouri: 6,126,452: +17,840
24. Maryland: 6,042,718: +17,827
25. Pennsylvania: 12,807,060: +16,613
26. Kentucky: 4,468,402: +14,528
27. Alabama: 4,887,871: +12,751
28. Iowa: 3,156,145: +12,508
29. Nebraska: 1,929,268: +11,693
30. Arkansas: 3,013,825: +10,828
31. Oklahoma: 3,943,079: +10,439
32. Delaware: 967,171: +10,093
33. Montana: 1,062,305: +9,215
34. South Dakota: 882,235: +8,949
35. Washington, DC: 702,455: +6,764
36. New Hampshire: 1,356,458: +6,691
37. North Dakota: 760,077: +4,901
38. Maine: 1,338,404: +3,341
39. New Mexico: 2,095,428: +2,033
40. Vermont: 626,299: +1,774
41. Rhode Island: 1,057,315: +829
42. Kansas: 2,911,505: +816
43. Connecticut: 3,572,665: -1,215
44. Alaska: 737,438: -2,348
45. Wyoming: 577,737: -1,197
46. Mississippi: 2,986,530: -3,133
47. Hawaii: 1,420,491: -3,712
48. Louisiana: 4,659,978: -10,840
49. West Virginia: 5,813,568: -11,216
50. Illinois: 12,741,080: -45,116
51. New York: 19,542,209: -48,510

Not a lot of surprises. Maybe that there were so many states that lost population, and they were not focused in a single region, but spread out (2 in the Northeast, 4 in the South, 2 in the West and 1 in the Midwest). Also that 4 Midwest states made the top 20 for total growth. When's the last time that happened? As my birth state, I'm especially happy about Ohio in the top 20. At the beginning of the decade, it was ranking in the 40s for growth, so that's a nice improvement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-19-2018, 10:14 AM
 
9,378 posts, read 9,534,811 times
Reputation: 5786
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Population on July 1, 2018 and Rank based on Total Change from 2017


1. Texas: 28,701,845: +379,128
2. Florida: 21,299,325: +322,513
3. California: 39,557,045: +157,696
4. Arizona: 7,171,646: +122,770
5. North Carolina: 10,383,620: +112,820
6. Washington: 7,535,591: +110,159
7. Georgia: 10,519,475: +106,420
8. Colorado: 5,695,564: +79,662
9. South Carolina: 5,084,127: +62,908
10. Nevada: 3,034,392: +61,987
11. Tennessee: 6,770,010: +61,216
12. Utah: 3,161,105: +57,987
13. Virginia: 8,517,685: +52,478
14. Oregon: 4,190,713: +44,121
15. Minnesota: 5,611,179: +43,024
16. Massachusetts: 6,902,149: 38,903
17. Idaho: 1,754,208: +35,304
18. Indiana: 6,691,878: +31,796
19. Ohio: 11,689,442: +25,313
20. Wisconsin: 5,813,568: +21,517
21. New Jersey: 8,908,520: +19,977
22. Michigan: 9,995,915: +19,468
23. Missouri: 6,126,452: +17,840
24. Maryland: 6,042,718: +17,827
25. Pennsylvania: 12,807,060: +16,613
26. Kentucky: 4,468,402: +14,528
27. Alabama: 4,887,871: +12,751
28. Iowa: 3,156,145: +12,508
29. Nebraska: 1,929,268: +11,693
30. Arkansas: 3,013,825: +10,828
31. Oklahoma: 3,943,079: +10,439
32. Delaware: 967,171: +10,093
33. Montana: 1,062,305: +9,215
34. South Dakota: 882,235: +8,949
35. Washington, DC: 702,455: +6,764
36. New Hampshire: 1,356,458: +6,691
37. North Dakota: 760,077: +4,901
38. Maine: 1,338,404: +3,341
39. New Mexico: 2,095,428: +2,033
40. Vermont: 626,299: +1,774
41. Rhode Island: 1,057,315: +829
42. Kansas: 2,911,505: +816
43. Connecticut: 3,572,665: -1,215
44. Alaska: 737,438: -2,348
45. Wyoming: 577,737: -1,197
46. Mississippi: 2,986,530: -3,133
47. Hawaii: 1,420,491: -3,712
48. Louisiana: 4,659,978: -10,840
49. West Virginia: 5,813,568: -11,216
50. Illinois: 12,741,080: -45,116
51. New York: 19,542,209: -48,510
NYS got crushed, surprising because Buffalo’s trend has turned around a bit so I wonder if NYC ground to a halt
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top