U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 12-19-2018, 08:34 PM
 
1,830 posts, read 1,255,543 times
Reputation: 1823

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
I wonder if that is actually true.

Looking at Real Personal Income per capita adjusted for regional price deflators

Austin is $49.8K
Dallas is $47.9K
Houston is $47.2K

vs.

Chicago's $51.0K
Columbus' $48.4K
Cleveland's $52.2K
Look at salaries/wages not income per capita. First reason being my post you quoted said salaries. Second reason being using per capita measures includes children, who generally do not work. According to the link below, Austin aside, the Texas metros have a larger share of their populations being below the age of 20.

CensusScope -- Population Pyramid and Age Distribution Statistics

EDIT: apologies, I forgot my post mentioned both salary and income. Mistakes on my part, I mean't salary as that was what the post I originally quoted was using.

Last edited by Parhe; 12-19-2018 at 08:54 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-19-2018, 10:52 PM
 
308 posts, read 187,085 times
Reputation: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
I know lots of people relocating to Phoenix for the winter....they're all retired. They all have purchased property...hence contributing to the population growth. BUT, they kept their homes in the Rust Belt for the rest of the year. I love Phoenix, but it's not sustainable, and that will be a big deal in the future.
Snowbirds are not counted in the population count in two different states. Where ever they spend the most time is where they are counted..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-20-2018, 06:40 AM
 
2,006 posts, read 1,022,430 times
Reputation: 2672
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinytr View Post
Snowbirds are not counted in the population count in two different states. Where ever they spend the most time is where they are counted..
Some stay six months, because taxes are cheaper in Arizona. SO, many of them are counted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-20-2018, 07:11 AM
 
Location: Phoenix
5,648 posts, read 7,453,193 times
Reputation: 4318
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
I know lots of people relocating to Phoenix for the winter....they're all retired. They all have purchased property...hence contributing to the population growth. BUT, they kept their homes in the Rust Belt for the rest of the year. I love Phoenix, but it's not sustainable, and that will be a big deal in the future.
What a ridiculously faulty assumption on all counts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-20-2018, 07:12 AM
 
2,006 posts, read 1,022,430 times
Reputation: 2672
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
What a ridiculously faulty assumption on all counts.
Well, I know these people, so whether you think it's "faulty" or not, doesn't matter. You don't think snowbirds buy property? As far as being sustainable....a huge city in the desert that keeps growing, will run into a water problem in the not too distant future...that's inevitable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-20-2018, 07:20 AM
 
Location: Phoenix
5,648 posts, read 7,453,193 times
Reputation: 4318
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
Well, I know these people, so whether you think it's "faulty" or not, doesn't matter. You don't think snowbirds buy property? As far as being sustainable....a huge city in the desert that keeps growing, will run into a water problem in the not too distant future...that's inevitable.
I apologize...I read your statement as knowing THAT lots of people are relocating to Phoenix, not knowing lots of people...

In any case, there are quite a few places in the country that will run into water issues in the not too distant future before Phoenix will.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-20-2018, 10:02 AM
 
11,177 posts, read 22,384,826 times
Reputation: 10924
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
For the past 8 years the inflow of young professionals has been enough to keeps Chicago in the black in terms of Population, so the general dynamic hasn't changed but the balance may have.
Yeah, when you shake it down the huge demographic change has been the large loss of black people from within the city. Their numbers are completely crashing, far more than the replacement by increasing white, hispanic and asian populations.

The loss has also been in the lower income and unemployed population, not being replaced in full, or anywhere near it, by the influx of more wealthy individuals.

Hence how the population has been flat/fallen in the metro the past four years, but the per capita GDP has risen by over 7% and the GDP itself is up almost $100 billion dollars. 120,000 new jobs the past four years but no net people added. Unemployment from 6.0% to 3.7%. The city went from 105,000 to 131,000 housholds earning more than $100,000 from 2010 to 2017. More than any individual city other than New York City. It's also number 1 in college educated population among the country's largest 7 cities.

That's probably the one thing the area has lucked out in with this huge fiscal mess, the state is a disaster and the pension crisis is very very real and large, but so far the state has suffered from a lack of population growth, but hasn't really seen a large degree of suffering from people leaving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-20-2018, 10:32 AM
 
6,979 posts, read 14,102,736 times
Reputation: 4558
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
Yeah, when you shake it down the huge demographic change has been the large loss of black people from within the city. Their numbers are completely crashing, far more than the replacement by increasing white, hispanic and asian populations.

The loss has also been in the lower income and unemployed population, not being replaced in full, or anywhere near it, by the influx of more wealthy individuals.

Hence how the population has been flat/fallen in the metro the past four years, but the per capita GDP has risen by over 7% and the GDP itself is up almost $100 billion dollars. 120,000 new jobs the past four years but no net people added. Unemployment from 6.0% to 3.7%. The city went from 105,000 to 131,000 housholds earning more than $100,000 from 2010 to 2017. More than any individual city other than New York City. It's also number 1 in college educated population among the country's largest 7 cities.

That's probably the one thing the area has lucked out in with this huge fiscal mess, the state is a disaster and the pension crisis is very very real and large, but so far the state has suffered from a lack of population growth, but hasn't really seen a large degree of suffering from people leaving.
While it's disappointing that the city cannot fix its issues in regards to the impoverished black communities who continue to die or move away, your statements do point to a positive future once things settle out with the city and state. It's not great the city has failed its most at-risk populations, but it's not a failed and shrinking city in the way that many other Great Lakes/Rust Belt cities are. It's not a Detroit (sorry Detroit). I think once the city sees enough of these young professionals with disposable income filling up the city, things will be on the up again for its finances. And sadly, Chicago carries the entire state. The conservatives in other parts of IL might wish to see Chicago fail to "stick it to the *******s," but without Chicago and its "wealthy educated elite" that go to universities "to be indoctrinated," and without all the "illegals stealing your jobs" and the "gays ruining the sanctity of marriage," Chicago could not carry the state of IL much longer. For IL to succeed, Chicago must succeed, the same way that NYC must succeed for NY to succeed, no matter how badly the conservatives want to "stick it to the *******s." So those wealthy educated indoctrinated gay-loving immigrant-loving snowflakes are badly needed in Chicago, and it seems like they're going to be able to add value to the region's economy soon hopefully.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-20-2018, 02:46 PM
 
1,830 posts, read 1,255,543 times
Reputation: 1823
I guess pricing out the underprivileged is one way to guarantee a "positive future." Imagine how wealthy we would be as a nation if we exiled the poor and unemployed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-20-2018, 02:55 PM
 
10,558 posts, read 13,127,017 times
Reputation: 6361
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
Okay, then, I guess a more true measure of A city, is to add lots of other cities with their own MSA, to their population? Makes no sense, to me. If I want to know how big Baltimore is, for example, I wouldn't expect someone to include Washington DC, etc. I would want the MSA for an answer.
Right, this is not a difficult concept. No one thinks Baltimore and DC are the same city, well, because they aren't. If I ask how big Baltimore is and one includes DC, that doesn't answer my question and distorts the truth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top