U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2018, 01:00 AM

22 posts, read 6,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
While it's disappointing that the city cannot fix its issues in regards to the impoverished black communities who continue to die or move away, your statements do point to a positive future once things settle out with the city and state. It's not great the city has failed its most at-risk populations, but it's not a failed and shrinking city in the way that many other Great Lakes/Rust Belt cities are. It's not a Detroit (sorry Detroit). I think once the city sees enough of these young professionals with disposable income filling up the city, things will be on the up again for its finances. And sadly, Chicago carries the entire state. The conservatives in other parts of IL might wish to see Chicago fail to "stick it to the *******s," but without Chicago and its "wealthy educated elite" that go to universities "to be indoctrinated," and without all the "illegals stealing your jobs" and the "gays ruining the sanctity of marriage," Chicago could not carry the state of IL much longer. For IL to succeed, Chicago must succeed, the same way that NYC must succeed for NY to succeed, no matter how badly the conservatives want to "stick it to the *******s." So those wealthy educated indoctrinated gay-loving immigrant-loving snowflakes are badly needed in Chicago, and it seems like they're going to be able to add value to the region's economy soon hopefully.

I keep hearing this sentiment from Chicagoans online and it's sort of baffling. Chicago wishes it was a Detroit right now because guess what? Detroit MSA is growing and has a higher GDP growth rate than Chicago, Detroit is post-bankruptcy and doing well financially, Detroit's state of Michigan is growing and has a balanced budget.

Illinois however is losing population like no tomorrow and finding itself in the state bankruptcy black hole along with Chicago where nobody really knows what's going to happen. I'd much rather be a home owner in Detroit if I'm being totally honest.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2018, 08:10 AM

6,514 posts, read 9,056,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobishere View Post
I keep hearing this sentiment from Chicagoans online and it's sort of baffling. Chicago wishes it was a Detroit right now because guess what? Detroit MSA is growing and has a higher GDP growth rate than Chicago, Detroit is post-bankruptcy and doing well financially, Detroit's state of Michigan is growing and has a balanced budget.

Illinois however is losing population like no tomorrow and finding itself in the state bankruptcy black hole along with Chicago where nobody really knows what's going to happen. I'd much rather be a home owner in Detroit if I'm being totally honest.
Do you currently live in Chicago?

I don't think you have a good understanding of what it's like to live in Detroit. Just because it's on an upward trajectory, and Chicago has stagnated does not make it a better or healthier city. Detroit will never compete with Chicago on any level.

I don't see any Chicagoans who wish they were like Detroit. Chicago gets a bad rap for its high number of murders, Detroit's murder per capita is about twice as high. That city will never make a full recovery.

Old 12-23-2018, 08:32 AM

2,006 posts, read 1,019,562 times
Quote:

Never

Old 12-23-2018, 08:57 AM

4,261 posts, read 5,480,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
Never
Agreed. Never heard a single person from Chicago or Illinois issue this sentiment.

Old 12-23-2018, 10:04 AM

1,547 posts, read 710,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
Agreed. Never heard a single person from Chicago or Illinois issue this sentiment.
I'm from Chicago and while I'm a little envious of the rapid backtracking Detroit is doing in its population shrinkage, I understand that it had to fall way further than we ever have to reach the cost of living and "*please* move here" attitude that have given the city its current appeal.

Old 12-23-2018, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
Never

These are the best economic times and Chicago/Illinois is still failing. If I had to choose what place to settle or bet on for the future it would never be Illinois. Even Ohio has much better prospects.

Chicago's trajectory is all downhill and don't kid yourself, things are going to get much worse. There are no signs of stabilizing.

Old 12-23-2018, 12:14 PM

4,261 posts, read 5,480,306 times
Quote:
These are the best economic times and Chicago/Illinois is still failing. If I had to choose what place to settle or bet on for the future it would never be Illinois. Even Ohio has much better prospects.

Chicago's trajectory is all downhill and don't kid yourself, things are going to get much worse. There are no signs of stabilizing.
Current economic times are actually quite mixed. And people also said these exact sentiments about Detroit and Michigan ad nauseam, yet here we are...And make no mistake, Detroit and Michigan still have a long way to go.

Old 12-23-2018, 12:19 PM

A long way from where? Michigan's economy is well over pre-recession levels, Michigan's population is about to reach it's 2004 peak again. Michigan is only getting better on all levels and so is Minnesota.

This is from the perspective of an outsider so I don't have some Illinois bias like most of you seem to have.

Old 12-23-2018, 12:30 PM

8,483 posts, read 10,467,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Absolutely.

The “Truth” is 9-9.7 million people actually live in and around the counties surrounding DC and Baltimore and it is VERY contiguous. All in about the same land mass as a city like Houston or Dallas.

This does distort anything, this is the truth. This doesn’t mean the city propers of either should be considered 9 million because they aren’t, and neither is Chicago’s city proper either, but it too has contiguous suburbs of its singular city that are 9-10 million when added together.
People seem to forget that DC and Baltimore are less than 40 miles apart. That's pretty close as far as major cities go, let alone metro areas.

Old 12-23-2018, 01:04 PM

2,006 posts, read 1,019,562 times
Quote:

Really, Mr. Know-it-all. Wondering what your inside scoop is, that you know what no one else knows. Chicago's population is becoming wealthier and more educated, so there's that, and it's certainly not the other way around. Clearly, new poster, you have a Chicago bias.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or