U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2018, 02:24 PM

1,547 posts, read 710,668 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobishere View Post
These are the best economic times and Chicago/Illinois is still failing. If I had to choose what place to settle or bet on for the future it would never be Illinois. Even Ohio has much better prospects.

Chicago's trajectory is all downhill and don't kid yourself, things are going to get much worse. There are no signs of stabilizing.
The migration trend away from the Midwest and Northeast and toward the West and South is stronger when the economy is good, though. During the late-2000s recession, people moved a lot less so the Sunbelt states weren't growing nearly as fast - IIRC Nevada and Florida actually lost people in 2008-2009. This would suggest Chicago's prospects will be better when the next bust hits.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2018, 06:16 PM

4,459 posts, read 7,523,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
Chicago's population is becoming wealthier and more educated, so there's that, and it's certainly not the other way around. Clearly, new poster, you have a Chicago bias.
With all due respect to Chicago, because I certainly don't buy into the doom and gloom narrative as a complete outsider (the city is way to economically diversified and has too many assets to truly "fail"), but the other side of that token is the fact that every city needs socioeconomic diversity to be sustainable in the long term.

Of course, Chicago isn't running the risk quite yet of becoming a haven exclusively for the wealthy and privileged, like San Francisco, New York, Boston and DC have become, but my point is that it shouldn't be cheer-inducing when people of lesser economic means or not of formal college education no longer have their own space or opportunity to thrive. It essentially leads to a city that's run by an oligarchy, not to mention much less interesting generally (since, let's be honest, affluent and largely caucasian, people aren't known for bringing a lot of excitement to any place).

Old 12-23-2018, 08:05 PM

5,551 posts, read 3,697,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
With all due respect to Chicago, because I certainly don't buy into the doom and gloom narrative as a complete outsider (the city is way to economically diversified and has too many assets to truly "fail"), but the other side of that token is the fact that every city needs socioeconomic diversity to be sustainable in the long term.

Of course, Chicago isn't running the risk quite yet of becoming a haven exclusively for the wealthy and privileged, like San Francisco, New York, Boston and DC have become, but my point is that it shouldn't be cheer-inducing when people of lesser economic means or not of formal college education no longer have their own space or opportunity to thrive. It essentially leads to a city that's run by an oligarchy, not to mention much less interesting generally (since, let's be honest, affluent and largely caucasian, people aren't known for bringing a lot of excitement to any place).
Chicago is still a great city, despite the isolated murder problem. I don't know if "caucasian" people "are not known for bringing a lot of excitement to any place". That is a somewhat sterile and generic statement. That said, Chicago has a lot going for it. Its downtown is a tremendous city center with a nice combination of business, retail, and residential. The geographic location is perfect with railroads and especially air transportation.

Unfortunately, Illinois is one of a handful of States that are losing population. I don't know what the answer is for that.

Old 12-24-2018, 12:26 AM

3,221 posts, read 1,553,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobishere View Post
A long way from where? Michigan's economy is well over pre-recession levels, Michigan's population is about to reach it's 2004 peak again. Michigan is only getting better on all levels and so is Minnesota.

This is from the perspective of an outsider so I don't have some Illinois bias like most of you seem to have.
The bias they mean is a ANTI-bias for Illinois and Chicago. You did not mention any reasons .... like if you EVER even visited? You may be from Michigan... or not? Just really was overboard in bashing. Even NY state is still loosing people .... despite mighty NYC gains. My state of PA, just recently posted a very small gain.

No one is bashing Michigan or Detroit to start on Chicago and Illinois..... I was trying to find a reason for such venom? It threw the thread into a -- say..... what???? Kind of mode then then
No one is going to say finances of Illinois and even Chicago in pensions debt is helping. Rising taxes ... of course not. But you really went for the jugular in you initial post in reply in like NO redeeming qualities of this state and especially Chicago.

There are many poll threads .... that Chicago has won vs other cities. Many who visit come away surprised, and far more impressed then not and this city surpassing most expectations..... it rates as one of the cleanest major cities too ..... especially up North.

You mention the economy and locals say they want Chicago to do a Detroit .... seems you mean a bankruptcy? Even mighty NYC again.... was basically bankrupt in 1975. City services severely cut. Finally after brought to its knees. President Ford and a new state governor .... agreed to flat the city loans.
But a State cannot default and IL doesn't low a city too. For the state to default. It would be a National issue.

But Chicago HAS a BOOMING CORE still today. There are two Chicago's .... and the city has one of the most diversified economies of large cities.
Economy
- a 609.2 Billion economy that rivals Nations.
- no more then 12% work in one business sector proving its diversity.

Chicago's strengths :
- a Core and Downtown wins polls after mighty NYC...... for best one in the Nation for a reason.
- rising tourism that for 2017 was

Tourist Really Like Chicago .... 2018 execution another record. Being up 4.4% just the first half f 2018.. Hit 55.2 million for city proper alone in 2017.
https://www.chicagobusiness.com/tour...really-chicago

City more popular then ever it says and % rises were.... for the first half of 2018.
- overall visitors up 4.4%
- overnight visitors up 6%
- conventions up 12.5%
- demand for hotel rooms up 5%
- its two airports report a 3.4% rise in international travelers.

Nearly 500,000 Conde' Nast (high-en magazine) voters Chose Chicago - a SECOND YEAR .... in a roll in 2018. BEST US CITY.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...sa/1649881002/

Other cities rounding out the Top 10 included:
1.Chicago, Illinois
2.New York, NY
3.New Orleans, LA
4.San Francisco, CA
5.Honolulu, HI
6.San Antonio, TX
7.San Diego, CA
8.Seattle, WA
9.Portland, OR
10.Boston, MA

Chicago pictures Showa booming city too.
Attached Thumbnails
2018 State Population Rankings-downtown-chicago-view-skyline.jpg   2018 State Population Rankings-residential-living-downtown-chicago-.jpg   2018 State Population Rankings-river-north-downtown-loft-high-rise   2018 State Population Rankings-over-near-south-loop-chicago-..jpg   2018 State Population Rankings-looking-into-loop-chicago-..jpg  

2018 State Population Rankings-chicagos-wrigley-tribune-buildings-among-new..jpg   2018 State Population Rankings-some-art-deco-chicago-..jpg   2018 State Population Rankings-river-canyon-skycrapers-chicago-..jpg   2018 State Population Rankings-looking-down-chicago-river-into-loop   2018 State Population Rankings-looking-west-chicago-river-.jpg  

Last edited by DavePa; 12-24-2018 at 12:37 AM..

Old 12-28-2018, 09:11 PM

797 posts, read 290,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
Not butt hurt, at all, I just think MSA is a more true measure of a CITY. When one looks at population, as I said, for Baltimore, you don't include DC.... Kind of interesting, that Chicago meets that number with its MSA, though.
It is until it isnít. There are people who live in the city of Durham but not the Durham-Chapel Hill MSA.

Old 12-29-2018, 10:07 AM

295 posts, read 106,409 times
I like Chicago a lot. But it seems like these forums have this weird love for Illinois. Losing the amount of people Illinois is at the moment is not a good thing. Ive seen so many Illinois plates in the other states Ive lived that Im wondering if there is even anyone left in Illinois .

Even in the Illinois forums, people are threatening to leave or move out . Is it just the general forum that loves it? Sorry, just trying to understand the general sentiment .

Old 12-29-2018, 11:10 AM

2,480 posts, read 2,225,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kombuchaluchador View Post
I like Chicago a lot. But it seems like these forums have this weird love for Illinois. Losing the amount of people Illinois is at the moment is not a good thing. Ive seen so many Illinois plates in the other states Ive lived that Im wondering if there is even anyone left in Illinois .

Even in the Illinois forums, people are threatening to leave or move out . Is it just the general forum that loves it? Sorry, just trying to understand the general sentiment .
As a lifelong Illinois resident, I can tell you that people are indifferent about the state itself and that generally everyone has some sort of bone to pick with the state government in Springfield. Illinois doesn't really promote state pride the way places like California and Texas do. A USA Today poll even showed that Illinoisans had the second lowest amount of state pride, only behind Rhode Islanders. The pride is in the local places, and God knows Chicago and its suburbs certainly have pride in themselves.

In terms of people being "left" in Illinois, the 2018 estimate puts the state's population at 12,741,080, while the 2010 census had 12,830,632 people in the state. The majority of Illinoisans are still here, by far, but the state has hit hard times. That is for sure.

As for the Illinois forum, a lot of the people complaining incessantly are pissed that Governor Rauner, the Republican governor who did nothing besides facilitate the longest state budget impasse in American history, got voted out. Pritzker hasn't even taken office yet, but they're convinced he's the herald of the apocalypse. Only time will tell how successful he is as governor, but at least he'll bother to get stuff done besides pout and refuse to work with the legislature.

Old 12-29-2018, 11:35 AM

797 posts, read 290,279 times
If history is any guide, I think the new guy is going to jail. Isn’t that the way it is? Every third governor?

Old 12-29-2018, 11:41 AM

2,480 posts, read 2,225,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
If history is any guide, I think the new guy is going to jail. Isnít that the way it is? Every third governor?
Ryan's and Blagojevich's terms as governor were back to back, so no. None of the four who went to prison did so while in office, but Blago had the distinction of being the only governor we ever impeached.

Old 12-29-2018, 12:59 PM

295 posts, read 106,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerseusVeil View Post
As a lifelong Illinois resident, I can tell you that people are indifferent about the state itself and that generally everyone has some sort of bone to pick with the state government in Springfield. Illinois doesn't really promote state pride the way places like California and Texas do. A USA Today poll even showed that Illinoisans had the second lowest amount of state pride, only behind Rhode Islanders. The pride is in the local places, and God knows Chicago and its suburbs certainly have pride in themselves.

In terms of people being "left" in Illinois, the 2018 estimate puts the state's population at 12,741,080, while the 2010 census had 12,830,632 people in the state. The majority of Illinoisans are still here, by far, but the state has hit hard times. That is for sure.

As for the Illinois forum, a lot of the people complaining incessantly are pissed that Governor Rauner, the Republican governor who did nothing besides facilitate the longest state budget impasse in American history, got voted out. Pritzker hasn't even taken office yet, but they're convinced he's the herald of the apocalypse. Only time will tell how successful he is as governor, but at least he'll bother to get stuff done besides pout and refuse to work with the legislature.
Great post. I'd love to see Illinois hit it's stride. I have family and friends up that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or