U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2018, 04:35 PM

5,639 posts, read 5,616,916 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
It seems Northeasterners like to move directly South down the coast.
The problem is they move here citing high taxes as a major reason for their exodus and then vote for politicians that will raise their taxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2018, 05:07 PM

14,967 posts, read 31,357,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knke0204 View Post
Why are some of you celebrating huge growth and large pop numbers? I personally see no good in large, unsustainable population growth. I live in MN, a nice steady growth is good, but I wouldn't be proud with 15 million people in my state. Just my opinion
I donít understand it either, because many of the people who want high population growth also claim to care about the environment. Itís weird.

Old 11-15-2018, 06:16 PM

4,265 posts, read 5,475,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
The problem is they move here citing high taxes as a major reason for their exodus and then vote for politicians that will raise their taxes.
Because they actually liked the things their taxes paid for, but due to stubborn indignation they thought they could have their cake and eat it too.

ďBah taxes are too damn high!Ē

ďWhy are there so many potholes in this road?Ē

Old 11-16-2018, 12:06 AM

105 posts, read 38,305 times
My home state, Colorado, passed Minnesota for the 21st spot sometime in 2016. CO could conceivably be neck and neck with Wisconsin for #20 by the 2020 census, as it is growing three times as fast as that state, and only separated by only around 200,000, per estimate.If these trends continue, CO will certainly surpass the three states currently ahead of it (WS, MD, and MO) for #18 sometime in the early-mid 2020's.

Old 11-16-2018, 10:55 AM

9,948 posts, read 6,883,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I donít think thereís anything wrong with a stateís population holding steady. Thereís only a problem if itís declining for some reason.

The Carolinaís are growing too fast IMO, itís sad to see how much forested area has been lost in N Carolina to make way for housing and strip malls. Same thing with Florida, the natural areas are being destroyed because thereís just too many damn people.

It matters in terms of reapportionment and how many seats a state has in congress....meaning influence. Everything is relative.

Old 11-16-2018, 11:03 AM

4,649 posts, read 3,612,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Indiana is the second fastest growing state in the Midwest. Interesting, wonder how long it will last.
Until, at a minimum, people stop fleeing Illinois.

Old 11-16-2018, 12:43 PM

3,929 posts, read 2,213,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Virginia will pass New Jersey eventually, maybe within 10 years. If it could move up one more rank after that it could crack the top 10, but would have to pass Michigan which is still comfortably ahead.
Washington state is also not far behind from Virginia and growing faster, so it very well might be that WA overpasses VA before VA passes NJ.

Old 11-16-2018, 12:46 PM

3,768 posts, read 2,554,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I donít understand it either, because many of the people who want high population growth also claim to care about the environment. Itís weird.
IF this growth is dense growth it's better for the environment what's not good is everyone living 3-5 people to a house all with 2+ acres for miles that's bad for the environment.

Old 11-16-2018, 09:08 PM

4,265 posts, read 5,475,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamms View Post
Until, at a minimum, people stop fleeing Illinois.
Indiana actually doesnít have very good domestic migration; on that front, movement from MI and IL is about the only thing keeping it modestly positive.

Old 11-16-2018, 09:17 PM

3,212 posts, read 1,546,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
Indiana actually doesn’t have very good domestic migration; on that front, movement from MI and IL is about the only thing keeping it modestly positive.
Also for PA that only very recently posted a tiny and Philly. Because of some migration from NYC nd New Jersey. Kamm's .... surely knows this living in Philly now.

PA was losing for many years. Similarly higher taxes in NJ had PA benefit .... ever so slightly. Like Indiana from Illinois.

Certainly, no big migration to PA or Indiana like the movements to the Sunbelt by Corporate America steering it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or