Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2018, 04:11 PM

481 posts, read 422,131 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
But PA lost 5th a few decades ago, so I don’t think it’s much of a triumph. My guess is that, within error, IL and PA will be effectively the same population during the 2020 census.
A gain is a gain, even if it is of formerly lost territory. Illinois was a noble opponent, but after 2020 it shall remain in its just place. I forsee even greater strides for Pennsylvania. One day, Pennsylvania will overtake New York. Maybe even Florida.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2018, 04:19 PM

4,675 posts, read 7,396,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sad_hotline View Post
A gain is a gain, even if it is of formerly lost territory. Illinois was a noble opponent, but after 2020 it shall remain in its just place. I forsee even greater strides for Pennsylvania. One day, Pennsylvania will overtake New York. Maybe even Florida.
Given the PA stagnation and the major gaps and the aging population of PA, I think you’re not dealing in reality...both IL and PA will probably be passed eventually

Old 11-03-2018, 04:36 PM

481 posts, read 422,131 times
Quote:
Given the PA stagnation and the major gaps and the aging population of PA, I think you’re not dealing in reality...both IL and PA will probably be passed eventually
not if PA seizes a few of its... smaller neighbors

Old 11-03-2018, 04:39 PM

3,149 posts, read 2,203,899 times
Quote:
GA and NC will probably overtake both IL and PA in a few decades. The four largest states should remain CA-TX-FL-NY, in that order, for a very long time.

Old 11-03-2018, 06:35 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,545,940 times
Virginia will pass New Jersey eventually, maybe within 10 years. If it could move up one more rank after that it could crack the top 10, but would have to pass Michigan which is still comfortably ahead.

Old 11-04-2018, 06:13 AM

7,010 posts, read 11,966,491 times
Indiana is the second fastest growing state in the Midwest. Interesting, wonder how long it will last.

Old 11-04-2018, 06:34 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,565,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I agree - even more problems. I don't think either state has done well in attracting a variety of high paying jobs whether they are white collar or blue collar professionals.

For about ten years, the Haynesville Shale provided a lot of very high paying blue collar professional jobs in the oil and gas sector. But it has slumped significantly. And also another oddity was that these jobs paid so well that many people (like my husband) just commuted from other states and never actually moved to Louisiana for the jobs, keeping much of that income in other states.
Drilling in the gulf has dried up as well. Many people in my area used to be able to drive to Louisiana for work, but not anymore. It wasn’t only rig workers, but captains, deckhands, mechanics, service workers, etc... My spouse flies to New Mexico for work now.

Old 11-04-2018, 09:27 AM

7,268 posts, read 10,583,796 times
Quote:
In all fairness, the entirety of the US is going to start aging more rapidly, particularly as birth rates continue to drop to record lows and advancements in medicine continue to prolong average lifespans.

It's entirely fair to speculate, given current trends, that the South and West will continue to comprise the lion's share of US growth in the coming years and decades, and thus states like IL and PA are likely to be pushed down in rank.

However, and not trying to be alarmist or a doomsday prophet, but there's also very real trends (particularly climate change) that could definitely derail growth in warmer climates in favor of higher latitudes.

Old 11-04-2018, 10:58 AM

6,476 posts, read 6,440,637 times
South Carolina continues to speed past Alabama and not look back.

2000 census - 3 place, +435,088 lead for Alabama
2010 census - 1 place, +154,372 lead for Alabama
2019 estimate - 1 place, +199,967 lead for South Carolina

North Carolina and Georgia also continue to be crazily neck and neck, and it's good to see Michigan rebound. Poor Illinois.

I also don't get all the anti-Florida sentiment. It's not the only state that has problems with crowding, weather and climate, bad drivers, and is flat, which is a subjective preference. West Virginia is the opposite and it hurts more than helps. The same things people are complaining about with Florida should be aimed at California too in that case, and others.

I'm also surprised that Texas' growth rate came at 7th. Don't see much that should change in terms of ranking in the near future at a quick glance other than Utah passing Iowa.

Old 11-04-2018, 08:32 PM

1,580 posts, read 2,895,841 times
The South Atlantic states are crushing it growth-wise. The gulf south / central south not so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.