Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2018, 09:21 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,573,812 times

Advertisements

I'm so happy PA has overtaken IL!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2018, 09:29 AM

1,541 posts, read 1,674,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
New Mexico continues to be one of the slowest growing states while all the states that border it are booming.
Why is that?

Old 11-06-2018, 10:06 AM

4,087 posts, read 3,238,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I'm so happy PA has overtaken IL!
Illinois population is all about Chicagoland. Our state of PA has its two significant cities and some still significant urban regions too.

Illinois doesn't have NJ and mighty NYC transplants to replace its aging population and still loosing its younger upwardly mobile educated who leave. Location clearly helps PA.

Declined more central PA cities are gaining poorer transplants from these neighboring states and major city. Illinois doesn't have.

PA is financially healthier then IL and NJ. That certainly and Midwest location is hurting. IL still has my favorite major city that is very different even in housing from much if its more rural state.

I want both Northern states to boom again much more.

Old 11-06-2018, 10:11 AM

1,726 posts, read 1,718,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJones17 View Post
Why is that?
New Mexico was the first state in the continental United States to become majority minority. As a result, most families in New Mexico have been plagued by debilitating generational poverty for two or more generations. In turn, New Mexico scores very poorly in key quality of life metrics, especially those metrics related to the health and well-being of children. For example, New Mexico is consistently ranked at or the near the bottom in measurements such as the number of eighth graders proficient in mathematics, the number of high school dropouts and the percentage of children living in poverty.

Due to the poor state of juvenile health and well-being, in particular public K-12 education, economic growth within New Mexico has been stagnant for decades. Simply stated, companies are unwilling to invest in states that are unwilling to invest in future generations.

I'm sure the water scarcity issues that plague the southwestern states don't advance the cause of economic growth within New Mexico, either.

Old 11-06-2018, 10:44 AM

1,485 posts, read 2,250,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I love me some Louisiana and I'm a native of New Orleans, but I would never, never move back though I do enjoy visiting sometimes.

To me, New Orleans is improved after the cleanup from Katrina. But overall the state is beset with problems. For starters, just the weather alone is rough - extremely hot and humid, with lots of rain and severe weather overall. But I think the main issues are government corruption and mismanagement, a high crime rate that's even state wide, an increasing drug problem, and the bust of the oil and gas industry in the Haynesville shale, and I'm sure there are other issues I haven't addressed.

Louisiana is largely rural and even in New Orleans, deeply entrenched poverty is an issue for the state. Look at Mississippi next door - lots of the same issues and it's losing population too.

If you take away Huntsville, Alabama would be in the red too.

Old 11-06-2018, 12:06 PM

9,377 posts, read 9,317,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
Illinois population is all about Chicagoland. Our state of PA has its two significant cities and some still significant urban regions too.

Illinois doesn't have NJ and mighty NYC transplants to replace its aging population and still loosing its younger upwardly mobile educated who leave. Location clearly helps PA.

Declined more central PA cities are gaining poorer transplants from these neighboring states and major city. Illinois doesn't have.

PA is financially healthier then IL and NJ. That certainly and Midwest location is hurting. IL still has my favorite major city that is very different even in housing from much if its more rural state.

I want both Northern states to boom again much more.
And PA is actually becoming wealthier too. The amount of millionaire households in PA is projected to surpass Ill by 2020, and the general urban regions in PA have had metrics rising at a faster rate.

Both states are quite similar though overall from an economic standpoint, but PA is certainly benefiting from New Yorks high cost of living and NJs messy government and taxes.

Old 11-06-2018, 12:11 PM

9,377 posts, read 9,317,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
I think that we have to pay attention to longer term trends when prognosticating what may or many not happen in the future. When we do this, it's obvious that both NC and GA have sustained upward trajectories for decades. That said, before talking about them passing PA and IL, Ohio is the next state that stands in their way. Using long term trends as a predictor, both NC and GA could pass Ohio sometime in the 2030s. Passing PA and IL is likely another decade out from then or more.
Which is why I don't think its clear cut to say they will pass PA or Ill. At current rates, GA and NC aren't even close to PA and Ill, we are talking 2050 to surpass PA which is quite far away, and that is assuming PA growth rates do not pick up.

Ohio has much more of a case since its population is significantly lower than PA and Ill.

Old 11-06-2018, 12:46 PM

4,696 posts, read 5,818,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fezzador View Post
If you take away Huntsville, Alabama would be in the red too.
There is one other part of Alabama that is growing...In fact it is the fastest growing area of the state...Baldwin County which is part of the Mobile metro. It includes Daphne, Foley, Orange Beach, and Gulf Shores but not the city of Mobile. I would guess the growth of Baldwin County is driven by it becoming a new retirement hot spot while jobs/economy is behind Huntsville's growth.

Old 11-06-2018, 06:21 PM

6,772 posts, read 4,508,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
While the US Census has not released 2018 State population estimates yet, the World Population Review site has.

Here they show Idaho, Nevada, and Washington as the biggest gainers (by percentage) this year.

http://worldpopulationreview.com/states/
Interesting read. Thanks for posting.

Old 11-06-2018, 07:26 PM

8,411 posts, read 7,417,042 times
Michigan's population has been at a standstill for the last decade. North and South Carolina have good steady growth. Thanks for posting OP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.