U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2018, 12:29 PM

11,884 posts, read 10,387,633 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1562 View Post
I'm curious where you would put Brewerytown then? Also, you are right in the fact that further West Philly does not ALL belong in the Bronx. I was more thinking of the rougher parts past University City and above Baltimore Ave. Will Smith's West Philly if you will.

Will Smith is from Wynnefield/Overbrook and grew up in a stable middle class family, although the character on Fresh Prince was obviously portrayed differently.

Philly already has sections (Center City, South Philly, West Philly, North Philly, Northwest Philly, Northeast Philly, Far Northeast Philly, Southwest Philly, Olney/Oak Lane and The Riverwards) so I'd compare to the boroughs as:

Manhattan: Center City and South Philly

Brooklyn: West Philly, North Philly and Riverwards

Queens: Northeast Philly and Olney/Oak Lane

The Bronx: Northwest Philly and Southwest Philly-Tale of two cities, striking wealth and poverty (Riverdale and Chestnut Hill have similarities, and NW Philly and the Bronx are both the hilliest parts of their cities)

Staten Island: The Far Northeast
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2018, 04:29 PM

7,822 posts, read 12,328,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
Not just 5 areas with their own generally recognizable demographics, density levels, architecture, etc., but specifically how would you analogize different areas of your city to the NYC boroughs, if you had to?

For Reno, NV, I'd say:
Manhattan: downtown/east of downtown
Brooklyn: Midtown
Bronx: north/west periphery of downtown, maybe west to Keystone and north to I-80
Queens: south Reno, maybe down to Moana Ln. and especially east of Virginia
Staten Island: North Valleys
Can't really do this for Baton Rouge...but for New Orleans.....

Manhattan - Central Business District, French Quarter, Mid-City

Brooklyn- Marigny, Bywater

Bronx - Lower Ninth Ward

Queens - Algiers

Staten Island - Uptown/Garden District

Bonus:

New Jersey - Metairie, Kenner, Luling, Avondale

Long Island - Northshore

Old 11-02-2018, 04:44 PM

1,861 posts, read 538,774 times
Not comparable. There is nothing like The Bronx anywhere except upper Manhattan

Old 11-02-2018, 07:15 PM

9,456 posts, read 5,254,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1562 View Post
I'm curious where you would put Brewerytown then? Also, you are right in the fact that further West Philly does not ALL belong in the Bronx. I was more thinking of the rougher parts past University City and above Baltimore Ave. Will Smith's West Philly if you will.
You know I'm not sure where to put Brewerytown since it's right next to Strawberry Mansion. Perhaps "Queens".

The truler rougher parts of W. Philly are north of Market upward to Lancaster Ave. or Parkside Ave. between 40th and 59th Sts.

Will Smith grew up Wynnefield. His Fresh Prince persona is mostly BS. He went to a historic Catholic grade school in Overbrook Farms for instance. But, yeah, he did go to Overbrook HS.

Old 11-03-2018, 03:46 AM

4,812 posts, read 4,997,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean1the1 View Post
For Los Angeles I would do:

Manhattan as Downtown Central LA to West LA minius the Hollywood hills (Santa Monica Mountains)
Brooklyn as San Fernando Valley plus Hollywood hills.
Queens as San Gabriel Valley since it's similar in size and population to The SFV.
Bronx as South LA
Staten Island as South Bay

All in all this area is close to NYC in population 7-8 million people I added the SGV, and the south bay as it wouldn't really make sense to cut any of the other places in half.
I'd do LA as:

Manhattan =
Downtown LA-Hollywood-Mid-Wilshire and Wilshire west only to Westwood,Central LA, Koreatown, only part of the Westside(La Cienaga to Sepulveda)

Brooklyn = Westside LA including the Fairfax District (not including the Wilshire Corridor). South Bay-Beach Cities(Manhattan/Redondo/Hermosa)

Queens = Pasadena-Glendale-Burbank, parts of the SFV like North Hollywood

Bronx - South Central LA

Staten Island = Central and North San Fernando Valley

Old 11-03-2018, 01:25 PM

1,546 posts, read 710,668 times
Washington, DC

Manhattan: Downtown, Chinatown, Foggy Bottom, Georgetown, SW DC, Navy Yard, The Wharf, Capitol Hill

Brooklyn: Adams Morgan, Dupont Circle, Brookland (heh), H St, U St, Shaw, NoMa, Woodley Park, Cleveland Park

Bronx: East of the River

Queens: Takoma, Brightwood, 16th St Heights, Petworth, Fort Totten, Brentwood, Trinidad

Staten Island: Palisades, Foxhall Crescent, Tenleytown, Chevy Chase, Friendship Heights, North Portal Estates

Old 11-03-2018, 01:49 PM
_OT

2,144 posts, read 1,521,186 times
Nice thread.

Birmingham

Manhattan: Downtown + Medical District + Five Points South
Brooklyn: Avondale
Bronx: Ensley
Queens: Crestwood/Eastwood
Staten Island: Bridlewood/Spring Lake/Killbough Springs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or