U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-04-2018, 10:21 AM
 
Location: Williamsburg, VA
3,551 posts, read 1,660,813 times
Reputation: 10169

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
I don't know how you wouldn't be aware of this living in Williamsburg, but...

There are in fact people loving on the Peninsula who commute into the capital. So given the purpose of said map, this isn't far fetched. Sure it's hard to imagine why anyone would want to commute from the Southside into Richmond, but given that the Peninsula is considered part of the same metro area as the Southside, it us the link from Richmond to Hampton Roads, Richmond in turn being linked to Charlottesville...

You can get from Charlottesville to Newport News in just two hours. Richmond can get to either city in an hour tops. This is not crazy. If anything you should celebrate how you can geographically take activity in three regions of Virginia within a day...

How long has it been since you made this drive? Or, have you ever made this drive? Your statement that "Richmond can get to either city in an hour tops" makes me think you haven't done this drive. If you have, please tell me what route you take. I'd love to be able to make that drive in a lot less time than it takes me right now.

This year I've been making the drive from WBurg to Richmond a LOT, as part of having to drive up to Nova to check on a house I'm selling. So I know how long it takes. I leave at 5 am and hit the exit for 295 (the loop around Richmond) at 6 am. I pay attention to things like this because I want to get past Richmond no later than that so I avoid the morning rush. It's not like there's a lot of commuter traffic to deal with, it's just a really long distance. It would take even longer if I was driving to a destination within Richmond. I drive fast, too; if I was staying within the speed limit I'm sure you could add at least another 15-20 minutes. So I know from firsthand experience it's one hour from WBurg to Richmond, and also 1 hour from WBurg to VA Beach. Making it a 2-hour or more commute Richmond to VA Beach. There are places in this country where people make 2 hours commutes because that's the only way they can afford a home, but that's not the situation here. There is no reason anyone would make a commute like that here.

I know a LOT of people in Richmond, WBurg, and Hampton Roads area. Please trust me on this, if you live in Hampton Roads, it's because you have a job in Hampton Roads (or you retired there). I don't know of anyone who lives there and commutes to Richmond. I suppose it's possible to dig up someone who had a job in Richmond but who also had a personal situation that required living in Norfolk, and was thus forced to make a 2-hour commute to work. But that would be a very unusual situation. To suggest that numerous people from HR commute to Richmond every day is ridiculous.

This is just one small detail on the map, but it's the detail that I happen to know something about. Maybe the rest of the map is spot on. I have no way of knowing. But since my little area is wrongly portrayed, it makes me think the rest of the map may be dubious too.

Last edited by Piney Creek; 11-04-2018 at 10:59 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-04-2018, 12:46 PM
 
Location: Virginia Beach
4,214 posts, read 2,836,706 times
Reputation: 4507
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney Creek View Post
How long has it been since you made this drive? Or, have you ever made this drive? Your statement that "Richmond can get to either city in an hour tops" makes me think you haven't done this drive. If you have, please tell me what route you take. I'd love to be able to make that drive in a lot less time than it takes me right now.

I make the drive from WBurg to Richmond twice a month as part of having to drive up to Nova to check on a house I'm selling, so I know how long it takes. I leave at 5 am because traffic is bad, and even at that time of the morning, it takes a full hour to drive from WBurg to 295 (the loop around the city). It's not like there's a lot of commuter traffic to deal with, it's just a really long distance. It would take even longer if I was driving to a destination within Richmond. I drive fast, too; if I was staying within the speed limit I'm sure you could at at least another 15-20 minutes. So I know from firsthand experience it's one hour from WBurg to Richmond, and also 1 hour from WBurg to VA Beach. Making it a 2-hour or more commute Richmond to VA Beach.

I know a LOT of people in Richmond, WBurg, and Hampton Roads area. I'm really active in the community. But I don't know anybody who makes a commute like that. It's not necessary, or practical. There is ample affordable housing that's significantly closer to Richmond, if you have a job there. If you live in Hampton Roads, it's because you have a job in Hampton Roads (or you retired there). I suppose you could dig up someone who had a job in Richmond but who also had a personal situation that required living in Norfolk, and was thus forced to make a 2-hour commute to work. But that would be a very unusual situation. To link these cities in this way as if people from HR commute to Richmond all the time is ridiculous.
Damn, you're dense...

1)I said you can get from Richmond to Newport News in an hour, not Norfolk or Virginia Beach. To be even more clear, I'm not talking about Downtown Newport, which is unfortunately situated way at the bottom of the peninsula. I'm saying, you can reach NN city limits, so think Fort Eustis, in an hour, tops...

And I've done this several times when traveling between VB and Richmond, clocking myself at various distance points. It's never taken me two hours to go from VB to Richmond, the normal time is 1:30-1:45. But again, I specifically said you can get from Newport News to Richmond in an hour. Not VB to Richmond...

2)you're driving like a grandma if it regularly takes you an hour to get between Williamsburg and 295...

3)clearly I said it's hard to imagine why anyone would commute from the Southside to Richmond. There are people who travel between the capital and the Pensinsula. I didn't put a number on it, so your assumption of "numerous" is on you...

This isn't for you, you're coming unhinged about things that weren't said...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-04-2018, 12:50 PM
 
Location: Cleveland
558 posts, read 316,307 times
Reputation: 838
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Poor Michigan. No matter how hard they tried they just can't shake Toledo.
Yeah, we love that thug culture from Detroit, please keep sending it down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-04-2018, 01:24 PM
 
Location: Northern Virginia
761 posts, read 260,116 times
Reputation: 1743
It's an interesting map in some ways as far as commuter patterns go, but some of those 'states' wouldn't make much sense either and much of the actual territory of the U.S. would apparently also be unassigned to any state in particular. Seems like a clickbait title for what's really just a cool little commuting map.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-04-2018, 02:18 PM
 
Location: Williamsburg, VA
3,551 posts, read 1,660,813 times
Reputation: 10169
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
Damn, you're dense...

1)I said you can get from Richmond to Newport News in an hour, not Norfolk or Virginia Beach. To be even more clear, I'm not talking about Downtown Newport, which is unfortunately situated way at the bottom of the peninsula. I'm saying, you can reach NN city limits, so think Fort Eustis, in an hour, tops...

And I've done this several times when traveling between VB and Richmond, clocking myself at various distance points. It's never taken me two hours to go from VB to Richmond, the normal time is 1:30-1:45. But again, I specifically said you can get from Newport News to Richmond in an hour. Not VB to Richmond...

2)you're driving like a grandma if it regularly takes you an hour to get between Williamsburg and 295...

3)clearly I said it's hard to imagine why anyone would commute from the Southside to Richmond. There are people who travel between the capital and the Pensinsula. I didn't put a number on it, so your assumption of "numerous" is on you...

This isn't for you, you're coming unhinged about things that weren't said...

LOL, you can insult me all you want , but it doesn't change the fact that this map's regional boundaries are the subject, and the boundaries in this case go all the way out to Norfolk and VA Beach, thus inferring people commute that distance. However, since you've chosen to now insert Ft. Eustis into the discussion, I'll take a moment to say I also don't buy that you could make a daily commute from Fort Eustis to Richmond in an hour. Maybe if you drove at 2:00 am, encountered no construction slowdowns, drove at 85 mph, and you were driving to the boundary line at the eastern most edge of Richmond. Oh and you didn't have to drive inside Ft. Eustis, just to the exit for it. But that's not a realistic commute for most people. In fact, probably not for anyone, LOL. Which is one reason people realistically don't make such a commute. They just choose to live nearer to Richmond if they have to commute to Richmond. But hey, what do I know? I'm just a person who lives here, regularly makes the drive, and knows the reality of how long it takes.

Having said that, it's a beautiful day so I'm outta here. If you want to believe something else, be my guest! different opinions are what make the world great.

Last edited by Piney Creek; 11-04-2018 at 02:45 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-04-2018, 10:47 PM
 
Location: South Florida for now
236 posts, read 184,651 times
Reputation: 197
Very little "Boston" influence can be found in Aroostook County, Maine. Likewise with East-Central Wyoming (Niobrara County, i.e.) and "Denver" influence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-04-2018, 11:47 PM
 
Location: Appalachian New York, Formerly Louisiana
4,102 posts, read 4,741,940 times
Reputation: 5374
That is SO cool!

It also proves a point about how a lot of NY state is so distinct from NYC and New England.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2018, 02:06 AM
 
Location: Richmond, VA
562 posts, read 541,608 times
Reputation: 1066
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney Creek View Post
LOL, you can insult me all you want , but it doesn't change the fact that this map's regional boundaries are the subject, and the boundaries in this case go all the way out to Norfolk and VA Beach, thus inferring people commute that distance. However, since you've chosen to now insert Ft. Eustis into the discussion, I'll take a moment to say I also don't buy that you could make a daily commute from Fort Eustis to Richmond in an hour. Maybe if you drove at 2:00 am, encountered no construction slowdowns, drove at 85 mph, and you were driving to the boundary line at the eastern most edge of Richmond. Oh and you didn't have to drive inside Ft. Eustis, just to the exit for it. But that's not a realistic commute for most people. In fact, probably not for anyone, LOL. Which is one reason people realistically don't make such a commute. They just choose to live nearer to Richmond if they have to commute to Richmond. But hey, what do I know? I'm just a person who lives here, regularly makes the drive, and knows the reality of how long it takes.

Having said that, it's a beautiful day so I'm outta here. If you want to believe something else, be my guest! different opinions are what make the world great.
Everybody's experience is different. There are literally thousands of people who make a commute between the Richmond and Hampton Roads areas daily. For some that I know, it's more convenient to live in Richmond and commute to Williamsburg for work, while others live in York or James City Counties and enjoy the amenities of Williamsburg while commuting to Richmond. This is also why they have these digital signs on I-64: https://www.google.com/maps/@37.5297...7i13312!8i6656 ...See this one near White Oak Village (several miles East of Richmond International Airport) on I-64. Notice the time to Williamsburg is 36 minutes. Digital signs don't lie all that much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2018, 02:27 AM
 
Location: Virginia Beach
4,214 posts, read 2,836,706 times
Reputation: 4507
Williamsburg is basically a Richmond exurb. It is not an hour away from Richmond...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2018, 06:08 AM
 
Location: Englewood, Near Eastside Indy
8,345 posts, read 14,108,709 times
Reputation: 5964
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
It's an interesting map in some ways as far as commuter patterns go, but some of those 'states' wouldn't make much sense either and much of the actual territory of the U.S. would apparently also be unassigned to any state in particular. Seems like a clickbait title for what's really just a cool little commuting map.
If you click on the link and read through the article, you'll find the map where "state lines" are drawn up with no unclaimed territory left.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top