U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2018, 07:12 AM

3,811 posts, read 3,304,730 times

Advertisements

Ok, but what region do people not hate?

The dust bowls in the heartland? Racist south? Dirty north? Communist California?

We all get hate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2018, 08:18 AM

8,726 posts, read 7,679,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheVVALRUS View Post
First of all: not only are those towns not Boston, they arenít even remotely close.

Second: for each Franklin and Mansfield, thereís a Wellesley and a Newton. You may be right that those towns wouldnít fly BML banners, but they donít represent a majority of towns in the metro area.
The percentage of homes that fly a BLM banner or something similar in even Newton and Wellesley probably still rounds to 0.

Old 11-06-2018, 09:24 AM
Status: "Got the rocking modern neon sound" (set 10 days ago)

2,041 posts, read 1,991,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
The percentage of homes that fly a BLM banner or something similar in even Newton and Wellesley probably still rounds to 0.
I mean the percentage of homes that fly anything in any town is probably pretty close to 0.

Old 11-06-2018, 10:06 AM

4 posts, read 1,520 times
Actually places like Concord (medium home value $924K have BLM signs. Wouldn't be surprised if Newton and Wellesley have them, especially Newton. However, almost no African Americans live there, which is one of the many weird ironies of the Boston area, where I lived for 16 years and where I still have friends.

Old 11-06-2018, 10:10 AM

28,266 posts, read 26,237,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post
LOL, as if an Italian-American family in Franklin or an Irish-American family in Marshfield would ever fly a BLM banner on their front porch.

Please, get a grip. You donít know anything about Massachusetts.
Robert De Niro would fly one.

Old 11-06-2018, 10:22 AM

1,014 posts, read 640,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheVVALRUS View Post
First of all: not only are those towns not Boston, they aren’t even remotely close.

Second: for each Franklin and Mansfield, there’s a Wellesley and a Newton. You may be right that those towns wouldn’t fly BML banners, but they don’t represent a majority of towns in the metro area.
Yes, Franklin and Marshfield are highly representative of suburban towns in the Boston metropolitan area. Both of those towns are fully situated within the Boston metropolitan area, which is very geographically expansive. Additionally, both of those towns are high-income and home to high percentages of Irish- and Italian-Americans, another hallmark of Boston area suburbs.

For all intents and purposes, towns such as Cumberland, RI, Seabrook, NH and Webster, MA are included in the Boston metropolitan statistical area, and those towns are much more "far-flung" than Franklin and Marshfield.

Old 11-06-2018, 01:22 PM

25,017 posts, read 23,908,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Robert De Niro would fly one.
Pretty cheesy. I don't think so.

Old 11-06-2018, 02:43 PM

2,086 posts, read 1,103,635 times
Quote:
Yes, Franklin and Marshfield are highly representative of suburban towns in the Boston metropolitan area. Both of those towns are fully situated within the Boston metropolitan area, which is very geographically expansive. Additionally, both of those towns are high-income and home to high percentages of Irish- and Italian-Americans, another hallmark of Boston area suburbs.

For all intents and purposes, towns such as Cumberland, RI, Seabrook, NH and Webster, MA are included in the Boston metropolitan statistical area, and those towns are much more "far-flung" than Franklin and Marshfield.
Chelmsford, which is Franklin 2.0, has BLM littered around Westford S and near the common. Back roads through Lincoln, Concord, Carlisle, Westford, much the same. LGBT flags everywhere, too.

In traveling back to the northern suburbs of Chicago, do you know how many BLM signs or LGBT flags I saw? Literally not one. Not ever.

BTW, by Boston MSA standards, I'm not sure I'd call Franklin or Marshfield high income. Both the median home values and income levels probably float just north of average.

Old 11-06-2018, 02:46 PM

2,086 posts, read 1,103,635 times
Quote:
Please, get a grip. You donít know anything about Massachusetts.
Did the guy not living in Massachusetts just tell the guy who lives in Massachusetts that he has no idea about Massachusetts?

Strange stuff.

Old 11-06-2018, 03:59 PM

2,808 posts, read 1,302,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
Right. There are hoards of west coast students studying in Boston. And, associating Boston with the 'good ol' boys club' is interesting. Massachusetts happens to be one of the 2-3-4 most progressive states in the union. I can concede that it's both, which is why you can't stereotype the Northeast in that way.

I see more Prius', LGBT flags, and BLM banners in Massachusetts than I do Mercedes S Classes.
You are familiar with virtue signaling, correct?

Plenty of rich white people do all the above as virtue signaling, I don't see how that doesn't make them part of the "Good ol' Boys Club"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or