Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2018, 11:38 AM

8 posts, read 14,459 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
It does? Columbia and Princeton would be the 2, with Princeton being questionable. Yale is in the New Haven MSA and that would mean that New England has 4 Ivy League schools.
Hence the "etc."

Yale/New Haven is in the NYC MSA. Everyone knows that SW CT is culturally more NY than it is New England.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2018, 11:39 AM

8 posts, read 14,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That Redneck Show View Post
But are there any in Northeastern Maine? Northwest PA?

Those aforementioned areas are more blue-collar by nature and draw in more influences from the Canadian Maritimes and Industrial Midwest, respectively, than anywhere in the BosWash Corridor.

This is not to imply that those areas aren’t “Northeastern”, though.

Ivy League alumni can live where ever they want?

Old 11-05-2018, 02:26 PM

92,053 posts, read 122,212,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lesterthemo View Post
Hence the "etc."

Yale/New Haven is in the NYC MSA. Everyone knows that SW CT is culturally more NY than it is New England.
New Haven has its own MSA, but it is in the NYC CSA. Southern New England is pretty similar between CT, RI and MA as well.

Old 11-05-2018, 02:53 PM

9,100 posts, read 13,117,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_Watch View Post
Have you ever been to this part of the country? Are you aware that there is more to the NE than just Boston, NYC and Philly?

No, I am not a fan of the fast-paced, crowded, hostile atmosphere that can be found in Boston, NYC and Philly. But if you think that all of, say, Pennsylvania or Maine is one big concrete jungle with rabid left-wing hipsters and yuppies, then you would be blatantly wrong. Go up to, say, Central Pennsylvania from Eastern Tennessee and, aside from the accent and climate, you won't see any tremendous differences. Travel to Aroostook County, Maine from Minnesota and THEN tell me that you just experienced a "culture shock". Rural Northern Minnesota has more in common with this part of Maine than it does with, say, SoCal.

I feel like the Northeast gets an unfair rep because folks tend to associate all of it with pretentious Ivy League snobs from southern New England. This is simply not true. And for everyone who claims that the Northeast is too frigid for their liking, I have some news for you: North Dakota gets snow too.
I think people think of the Northeastern cities and forget how much of the Northeast is actually rural or forested.
This is because a large part of the Northeast is hills and mountains.

Here is the list that shows the hilliest states on average and how the Northeast stacks up (#50 is the hilliest and #1 is the flattest). https://www.theatlantic.com/technolo...ancake/284348/

Hawaii? - 50 - (hilliest)

Vermont - 49
New Hampshire - 48
Pennsylvania - 45
Maine - 43
Connecticut - 42
New York - 37
Massachusetts - 34
Rhode Island - 26

Wisconsin - 25 (average)

Maryland - 18
New Jersey - 14
Delaware - 6

Florida - 1 -(flattest)

As you can see, 8 Northeast states are in the top 25 hilliest while only 3 Northeast states are in the bottom 25. Even the flattest, Delaware, comes in at #6 ahead of several much larger states.

Old 11-05-2018, 04:08 PM

6,779 posts, read 5,918,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicfamly5 View Post
I get OPs point. As someone from the West Coast, most peoples reaction to people from the opposite coast is either NYC/Boston like energy which PNW people read either as high strung elite thinking bank apologist or someone with annoying taste in sports teams and acts as a member of the Wahlberg family. Little if any kids from around here apply for Universities as their considered old thinking and represent the world of "the good ol boys" of America.
Jeez, I don’t even know where to begin unpacking this. What a terribly ignorant view of Boston.

Old 11-05-2018, 04:19 PM

4,998 posts, read 3,845,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheVVALRUS View Post
Jeez, I don’t even know where to begin unpacking this. What a terribly ignorant view of Boston.
Right. There are hoards of west coast students studying in Boston. And, associating Boston with the 'good ol' boys club' is interesting. Massachusetts happens to be one of the 2-3-4 most progressive states in the union. I can concede that it's both, which is why you can't stereotype the Northeast in that way.

I see more Prius', LGBT flags, and BLM banners in Massachusetts than I do Mercedes S Classes.

Old 11-05-2018, 05:33 PM

32,766 posts, read 35,986,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
It does? Columbia and Princeton would be the 2, with Princeton being questionable. Yale is in the New Haven MSA and that would mean that New England has 4 Ivy League schools.
Though Princeton is closer to Philly than NYC, it's no longer theirs. The NYC 'sphere of influence' hasn't even stopped at the PA border.

Old 11-05-2018, 06:01 PM

31,887 posts, read 34,396,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_Watch View Post
I feel like the Northeast gets an unfair rep because folks tend to associate all of it with pretentious Ivy League snobs from southern New England. This is simply not true. And for everyone who claims that the Northeast is too frigid for their liking, I have some news for you: North Dakota gets snow too.
Yeah, I feel like Alaskans have a right to feel aggrieved too. Alaska makes up nearly a fifth of our land area yet people talk about places like the Midwest a lot more. It's a funny thing that people tend to think more about the places that have the most population rather than the places that have the most trees and farmland.

Old 11-05-2018, 09:44 PM

1,726 posts, read 1,696,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
Right. There are hoards of west coast students studying in Boston. And, associating Boston with the 'good ol' boys club' is interesting. Massachusetts happens to be one of the 2-3-4 most progressive states in the union. I can concede that it's both, which is why you can't stereotype the Northeast in that way.

I see more Prius', LGBT flags, and BLM banners in Massachusetts than I do Mercedes S Classes.
LOL, as if an Italian-American family in Franklin or an Irish-American family in Marshfield would ever fly a BLM banner on their front porch.

Please, get a grip. You don’t know anything about Massachusetts.

Old 11-06-2018, 08:10 AM

6,779 posts, read 5,918,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post
LOL, as if an Italian-American family in Franklin or an Irish-American family in Marshfield would ever fly a BLM banner on their front porch.

Please, get a grip. You don’t know anything about Massachusetts.
First of all: not only are those towns not Boston, they aren’t even remotely close.

Second: for each Franklin and Mansfield, there’s a Wellesley and a Newton. You may be right that those towns wouldn’t fly BML banners, but they don’t represent a majority of towns in the metro area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.