U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2018, 09:40 AM

941 posts, read 412,807 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
something to consider is that there are a lot of start ups in the large western cities particularly around SF and Seattle so it's not just the big tech companies. Also if you want to gain experience quickly I heard that a lot of people try to get into Amazon, from what I hear it's not too hard since they are expanding/hiring like crazy, and I also think they have a high turnover rate since they push there employees very hard. Also most people don't actually work for major tech companies directly, but work through a vender, at least that's the case for Microsoft which they tend to work a lot with Mindtree and Avanade.

But of the smaller western cities I would probably choose Bosie, it's booming right now, I think it's even the fastest growing city in the US right now.
It seems like people on the West "Coast" in the huge metro areas have fancy/prestigious jobs. I would never be able to get those "fancy jobs" people have. You have to really stand out for that and my resume is not too decent for that. Yes, I have an internship at least.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2018, 09:41 AM

941 posts, read 412,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_Watch View Post
If Cheyenne, Wyoming counts as the West (as opposed to the Midwest or the Plains or any other moniker), I'll have to say that I loved my time in that city. Walk through downtown early in the morning, observe the western-style architecture and very few people are out about on the roads OR on the sidewalk during this time.
The few folks that I've passed on my morning walks have always been courteous with a smile, nod or greeting. This is commonplace in smaller cities (<20,000) all over the country but for a steadily growing city with a >60,000 population, it is rare to meet so many friendly faces in a Downtown district. Down here in Florida? Forget about it.

I also like how, in spite of the city's steady growth rate, the city does seem to be (relatively) contained compared to most cities of its size in the Sunbelt. There is a commercial corridor with big-box stores on every corner, but travel just 5 miles out of Downtown (in any direction) and you're in the great wide open.
Wyoming is too rural for me. Cheyenne sounds small, but there is absolutely nothing outside of it. I like something a little larger like the places I mentioned. They have enough people to not feel lonely. If I am in my 80s and lonely (due to deaths of my friends being old) and not care about being lonely due to age, then Cheyenne would be great for retirement.

Old 11-05-2018, 11:09 AM

3,929 posts, read 2,211,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by potanta View Post
It seems like people on the West "Coast" in the huge metro areas have fancy/prestigious jobs. I would never be able to get those "fancy jobs" people have. You have to really stand out for that and my resume is not too decent for that. Yes, I have an internship at least.
Well then don’t apply to those “fancy” jobs, just aim a little bit lower, get your foot in the door, and then from there build your career up, one step at a time. The west doesn’t only offer “fancy” jobs, it’s not some futuristic sci-fi world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or