U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-09-2018, 02:14 PM
 
Location: Clemson, SC by way of Tyler,TX
4,857 posts, read 2,991,404 times
Reputation: 3399

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
51% is lean democratic.
Again I will say it slowly so you will understand what I'm saying. I said Houston is comparatively more conservative but it's not a conservative city i voted almost 60% for the wildly progressive Beto O'Rourke.
Do you need me to break it down for you again cause you keep repeating things that are outside the point I'm making
What, no 9 exclamation points this time? LOL, you're so upset. I never said Houston was conservative. Even in the quote you quoted, I never said Houston was conservative. You're having an imaginary fight in your head my man or woman. Relax and enjoy Houston for the weekend friend.


BTW, when you go the personal attack route, you already lose, not that there was an actual argument.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-09-2018, 02:40 PM
 
619 posts, read 441,026 times
Reputation: 690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
What, no 9 exclamation points this time? LOL, you're so upset. I never said Houston was conservative. Even in the quote you quoted, I never said Houston was conservative. You're having an imaginary fight in your head my man or woman. Relax and enjoy Houston for the weekend friend.


BTW, when you go the personal attack route, you already lose, not that there was an actual argument.
I'm not from Houston.
And yes you are changing what you said. At first you said Houston was not among the bluiest and I said it may not be among the bluiest but it's not red either.
I don't know why you would disagree because that is true. Then you came back and added more blue but saying it's not the bluiest of the bluiest. I had already agreed it was not the bluiest so why would it be among the bluiest of the blue?

Now I'm not sure you even have a point.

Fact of the matter is all this Houston is conservative mantra is malarkey. Houston consistently votes liberal candidates, has blue Representatives, all 30 plus Justice's elected are blue, Harris county is completely blue.
My point is that it's BLUE. Through and thru. I don't know what you are arguing but no matter what you say the city is blue. Doesn't matter who Austin voted for, but Houston blue. What is your point?

Ok lets take what I said in elementary form and tell me where I lose you:

A. Houston is not as liberal as the other cities op listed
B. However Houston is not a conservative city
C. Fact that they voted for Beto at almost 60 percent makes it a blue city

Which ones you get lost on?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-09-2018, 02:45 PM
 
Location: Clemson, SC by way of Tyler,TX
4,857 posts, read 2,991,404 times
Reputation: 3399
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
I'm not from Houston.
And yes you are changing what you said. At first you said Houston was not among the bluiest and I said it may not be among the bluiest but it's not red either.
I don't know why you would disagree because that is true. Then you came back and added more blue but saying it's not the bluiest of the bluiest. I had already agreed it was not the bluiest so why would it be among the bluiest of the blue?

Now I'm not sure you even have a point.

Fact of the matter is all this Houston is conservative mantra is malarkey. Houston consistently votes liberal candidates, has blue Representatives, all 30 plus Justice's elected are blue, Harris county is completely blue.
My point is that it's BLUE. Through and thru. I don't know what you are arguing but no matter what you say the city is blue. Doesn't matter who Austin voted for, but Houston blue. What is your point?

Ok lets take what I said in elementary form and tell me where I lose you:

A. Houston is not as liberal as the other cities op listed
B. However Houston is not a conservative city
C. Fact that they voted for Beto at almost 60 percent makes it a blue city

Which ones you get lost on?
The quote you quoted me on, I said "these are some of the bluest cities in the country, with the exception of Houston." Why does that make you angry? I never said Houston was conservative, how many times do I have to tell you that or are you intentionally glossing over that part because you like to banter with me? Houston is not among the bluest cities, especially compared to the ones on this list. Look up the percentage of votes for Trump.

And please do a spell check if you're gonna insult someone's intelligence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-09-2018, 03:08 PM
 
619 posts, read 441,026 times
Reputation: 690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
The quote you quoted me on, I said "these are some of the bluest cities in the country, with the exception of Houston." Why does that make you angry? I never said Houston was conservative, how many times do I have to tell you that or are you intentionally glossing over that part because you like to banter with me? Houston is not among the bluest cities, especially compared to the ones on this list. Look up the percentage of votes for Trump.

And please do a spell check if you're gonna insult someone's intelligence.
I'm not angry I am just correcting you.
Again Houston is not as blue as Boston, Philly, Chicago, but it's much bluer than Phoenix, SLC, OKC etc.
It may not be in the top 5% but it is still in the some of the bluiest category. Phoenix leaned blue at 49%. SLC went 49% Romney, that's a lean Red. 60% blue is not lean blue it is blue period
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-09-2018, 03:13 PM
 
Location: Washington D.C. By way of Texas
18,638 posts, read 27,073,493 times
Reputation: 9580
Quick note, Harris County went blue but thatís because the suburbs are still red. Houston city is more blue than people realize but itís not as blue as the other cities listed. Pretty moderate city today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-09-2018, 03:30 PM
 
Location: Clemson, SC by way of Tyler,TX
4,857 posts, read 2,991,404 times
Reputation: 3399
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
I'm not angry I am just correcting you.
Again Houston is not as blue as Boston, Philly, Chicago, but it's much bluer than Phoenix, SLC, OKC etc.
It may not be in the top 5% but it is still in the some of the bluiest category. Phoenix leaned blue at 49%. SLC went 49% Romney, that's a lean Red. 60% blue is not lean blue it is blue period
This is the only thing I have said on the topic. The list is made up of the bluest of the blues in this country, this doesn't mean Houston is conservative. I've never said it was, but I'm also curious why that's an insult to some people?

there's nothing to correct. I wasn't wrong about anything or you interpreted what I said incorrectly. That's your problem, not mine.

Change "conservative" with cloudy. If I said Portland, Seattle, Chicago and San Francisco are among the cloudiest cities in the country, Houston is not. That doesn't mean Houston isn't cloudy. Do you understand now?

I also don't know what you are talking about regarding "lean" and presidencies.

But, 54% of Harris county voters voted for Hilary. Whether we want to count that as a lean, plurality, whatever, we're arguing semantics. 80% plus voted for Hilary in SF. Big difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-09-2018, 03:43 PM
 
619 posts, read 441,026 times
Reputation: 690
You don't have to be like SF to be among the bluest.
You just have to be bluer then the majority of cities.SF is probably in the top 1%. Houston is probably in the top10%. So it is not as blue as SF but still among the bluest.
At this point it's solidly blue.

Fort Worth and Beaumont currently lean blue. Amarillo and Waco are still Red.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2018, 05:19 AM
 
Location: North Dakota
7,742 posts, read 9,040,831 times
Reputation: 11138
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean1the1 View Post
Demographically I wouldn't say Texas is conservative at all, but they have done a good job to hold onto power as long as they can, but it can only last so long.
How the hell do you figure?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2018, 11:19 AM
 
Location: St. Louis
2,480 posts, read 2,228,082 times
Reputation: 2353
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic_tern View Post
Now Illinois has democratic governor. Hope that makes Chicago less conservative. I honestly didn't know that Philly was conservative at all, being close to NYC, Boston, and DC. Could you please guys shed some lights on that?
Chicago isn't even remotely close to being conservative. It used to be a blue city based on unions but quickly changed to a liberal city based on social issues decades ago. Its suburbs are also no longer conservative collectively. The collar counties around Cook used to be red but went from purple to blue in the last decade or so.

Rauner also never would have stood a chance in 2014 if he was actually conservative. He's a fiscal conservative who beat a disliked incumbent. Rauner, in turn, got destroyed because he became the disliked incumbent who didn't move an agenda.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2018, 11:52 AM
 
622 posts, read 176,986 times
Reputation: 426
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
How the hell do you figure?
Cause Ed Emmett said so:
https://abc13.com/politics/ousted-co...eboot/4675842/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top