U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2018, 11:58 AM

635 posts, read 182,267 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
This is the only thing I have said on the topic. The list is made up of the bluest of the blues in this country, this doesn't mean Houston is conservative. I've never said it was, but I'm also curious why that's an insult to some people?
You're not wrong, but the banter probably wouldn't have happened had you responded like this initially.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
I'm not angry I am just correcting you.
Again Houston is not as blue as Boston, Philly, Chicago, but it's much bluer than Phoenix, SLC, OKC etc.
It may not be in the top 5% but it is still in the some of the bluiest category. Phoenix leaned blue at 49%. SLC went 49% Romney, that's a lean Red. 60% blue is not lean blue it is blue period
I think the confusion is that you are focusing on all US cities in general, whereas Gaylord was focusing specifically on major US cities, particularly the ones listed on the OP.

Last edited by ScrappyJoe; 11-14-2018 at 12:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2018, 12:31 PM

635 posts, read 182,267 times
As far as Hispanic voting trends in Texas, those in the major metros and around the Rio Grande are just as liberal as those elsewhere in the country, if not moreso. The Hispanic conservatives in the state are mainly in the Panhandle/western region bordering eastern NM.

Old 11-14-2018, 12:49 PM

4,880 posts, read 3,004,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrappyJoe View Post
You're not wrong, but the banter probably wouldn't have happened had you responded like this initially.

I think the confusion is that you are focusing on all US cities in general, whereas Gaylord was focusing specifically on major US cities, particularly the ones listed on the OP.
The confusion is in his head. He likes to argue I guess or it's a language issue. This was the third post in this thread, from him:

No question about that.
Houston is moderately/lean liberal the others are all strongly liberal.

He said it himself. I don't understand why people get upset when you say their city isn't as liberal as others.

Old 11-14-2018, 01:45 PM

1,567 posts, read 727,594 times
Ranking them from most conservative to most liberal, I'd venture to guess:

Houston
Philadelphia
LA
Chicago
New York
Boston
DC
Seattle
San Francisco

Old 11-14-2018, 01:53 PM

8,774 posts, read 7,717,600 times
If we are using the word "conservative" in a way other than "votes republican" I would suggest Boston is pretty conservative, from a lifestyle point of view.

Old 11-16-2018, 11:26 AM

4,649 posts, read 3,623,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Number 2 on the list, I'd say Philadelphia would be next most conservative after Houston. Really, if Houston wasn't on this list at all it would be a very good question, and very close anyway you slice it.
I would place Chicago 2nd on this list after Houston.

Old 11-16-2018, 11:28 AM

4,649 posts, read 3,623,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
If we are using the word "conservative" in a way other than "votes republican" I would suggest Boston is pretty conservative, from a lifestyle point of view.
True, Boston is pretty conservative in the way you describe. Maybe 2nd or 3rd on this list between it and Chicago.

Old 11-16-2018, 01:59 PM

2,090 posts, read 1,113,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
This is very true.

Far left politically, fairly conservative in many other ways.

Old 11-16-2018, 11:43 PM

1,567 posts, read 727,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamms View Post
True, Boston is pretty conservative in the way you describe. Maybe 2nd or 3rd on this list between it and Chicago.
Why do you consider Chicago to be the most conservative out of these (besides Houston) both politically and non-politically?

Old 11-17-2018, 12:31 PM

97 posts, read 29,995 times
Considering how all of the other cities you listed were heavy liberal meccas, Houston would be the most conservative, although it is by no means as red as the rest of Texas (rather it leans blue).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or