U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2018, 08:15 AM

4,849 posts, read 2,978,355 times

Advertisements

How exciting! Good luck OP. All are great spots. Keep in mind Arlington is super pricey and Syracuse is next level cold.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2018, 08:20 AM

56,551 posts, read 80,847,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
How exciting! Good luck OP. All are great spots. Keep in mind Arlington is super pricey and Syracuse is next level cold.
Minneapolis is likely colder, but Syracuse gets more snow.

Old 11-06-2018, 09:15 AM

883 posts, read 439,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Syracuse is quite a bit snowy >100 in per year to Minneapolis' 50 or so inches, but Minneapolis is definitely temperature colder. The damp cold of the east might make it feel colder.

Old 11-06-2018, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornsnicker3 View Post
Syracuse is quite a bit snowy >100 in per year to Minneapolis' 50 or so inches, but Minneapolis is definitely temperature colder. The damp cold of the east might make it feel colder.
Syracuse gets lake effect from Lake Ontario, which tends to be "fluffier" versus the snow that would come from a Nor'easter, which tends to be heavier.

Old 11-06-2018, 11:14 AM

883 posts, read 439,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Syracuse gets lake effect from Lake Ontario, which tends to be "fluffier" versus the snow that would come from a Nor'easter, which tends to be heavier.
Is it not true that Syracuse gets all three systems: Lake Effect, Nor'Easter, and Alberta Clippers?

Old 11-06-2018, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornsnicker3 View Post
Is it not true that Syracuse gets all three systems: Lake Effect, Nor'Easter, and Alberta Clippers?
It can get the other 2, but it primarily gets lake effect. Alberta Clippers aren’t that common and the impact from Nor’easters weakens that far inland.

As mentioned before, most of the lake effect bands in the area tend to hit places to the north hardest(Oswego County)-East/SE of Lake Ontario.

Buffalo is similar in that the higher snowfall totals are east of Lake Erie/the Southtowns.

So, when you hear about how snowy these areas are, those are the portions that really get hit hardest.

Old 11-06-2018, 12:57 PM

17 posts, read 5,237 times
Hahaha, thank you everyone! From doing more research + y'alls answers, I think I've axed Arlington due to the prices in housing already being pretty high and like you guys said, likely even higher by the time I can venture to buy a house there.

It's looking like Syracuse may be out as well, due to the weather, unless I visit and absolutely fall in love. I'm looking into visiting Minneapolis, and then I'll swing around and visit Pittsburgh for the 2nd time (as it's been 3-4 years since I've been) and compare the two.

As far as bar setting goes, I am enamored with Pittsburgh so it'll be interesting to see if Minneapolis reaches or surpasses that! My SO would love to go back, but he's also interested in Pittsburgh, so we'll take some visits and have a real heart to heart on which would be better for us.

Thank you all so much for the answers again! This forum is helping me so much in narrowing down places to live.

Old 11-06-2018, 01:23 PM

214 posts, read 85,224 times
We moved from upstate-NY last year to Pittsburgh. We are very happy with the decision (except why are food prices so high in Pittsburgh? Trader Joes and Whole Foods are fine, but nothing compares to Wegmans in my book). Much less snow and a little warmer than Syracuse (mainly in the fall and spring - the height of summer and depth of winter as far as temps are pretty similar). What I like about Pittsburgh are the great cultural influences and the pragmatic nature of the people. Very approachable and "real", i.e. more likely than many places to tell you how they feel, but not judge you harshly when you differ in opinion. Good recreational opportunities with the three rivers, many hiking and biking trails and nearby skiing (about 1-1.5 hours from the city). There's a pretty large and growing Asian community, but very few latino enclaves. The program at SUNY-ESF in Syracuse is a top program, so if that's a determining factor it might tilt the table in that direction.

Have visited the Arlington area many times. Wonderful place to live if you can afford it and can tolerate the constant congestion of NOVA . . . and they have Wegmans. No idea about Minneapolis, but have heard nothing but good things. I think any of your choices will provide a contrast to Knoxville, so enjoy the adventure of living life in a different place!

Old 11-06-2018, 02:32 PM

17 posts, read 5,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley Barker View Post
We moved from upstate-NY last year to Pittsburgh. We are very happy with the decision (except why are food prices so high in Pittsburgh? Trader Joes and Whole Foods are fine, but nothing compares to Wegmans in my book). Much less snow and a little warmer than Syracuse (mainly in the fall and spring - the height of summer and depth of winter as far as temps are pretty similar). What I like about Pittsburgh are the great cultural influences and the pragmatic nature of the people. Very approachable and "real", i.e. more likely than many places to tell you how they feel, but not judge you harshly when you differ in opinion. Good recreational opportunities with the three rivers, many hiking and biking trails and nearby skiing (about 1-1.5 hours from the city). There's a pretty large and growing Asian community, but very few latino enclaves. The program at SUNY-ESF in Syracuse is a top program, so if that's a determining factor it might tilt the table in that direction.

Have visited the Arlington area many times. Wonderful place to live if you can afford it and can tolerate the constant congestion of NOVA . . . and they have Wegmans. No idea about Minneapolis, but have heard nothing but good things. I think any of your choices will provide a contrast to Knoxville, so enjoy the adventure of living life in a different place!
I absolutely loved reading your description of Pittsburgh because that's the vibe I got from it when I visited on my college tour and I'm so happy that it is founded and that other people feel the same way! Honestly, I am very heavily leaning towards Pittsburgh just because of how much I loved it when I visited, but I do want to give Minneapolis a fighting chance as it sounds awesome as well.

Arlington seems amazing and gorgeous, but part of the reason I hightailed out of Socal (where I lived prior to Knoxville) was the congestion.

Is Wegmans a grocery store?

Old 11-06-2018, 08:04 PM

5,858 posts, read 14,044,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehynbot View Post
Hahaha, thank you everyone! From doing more research + y'alls answers, I think I've axed Arlington due to the prices in housing already being pretty high and like you guys said, likely even higher by the time I can venture to buy a house there.

It's looking like Syracuse may be out as well, due to the weather, unless I visit and absolutely fall in love. I'm looking into visiting Minneapolis, and then I'll swing around and visit Pittsburgh for the 2nd time (as it's been 3-4 years since I've been) and compare the two.

As far as bar setting goes, I am enamored with Pittsburgh so it'll be interesting to see if Minneapolis reaches or surpasses that! My SO would love to go back, but he's also interested in Pittsburgh, so we'll take some visits and have a real heart to heart on which would be better for us.

Thank you all so much for the answers again! This forum is helping me so much in narrowing down places to live.
The best kept secret in Minneapolis is St. Paul!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or