U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-07-2018, 06:35 AM
 
Location: Portland, Oregon (in Transition)
883 posts, read 439,483 times
Reputation: 1445

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
The best kept secret in Minneapolis is St. Paul!
St. Paul is adjacent to Minneapolis, not really inside of it. It is inside the Minneapolis-St Paul metropolitan area AKA "The Cities" as is colloquially referred to by most Minnesotans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-07-2018, 06:55 AM
 
56,546 posts, read 80,847,919 times
Reputation: 12490
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehynbot View Post
I absolutely loved reading your description of Pittsburgh because that's the vibe I got from it when I visited on my college tour and I'm so happy that it is founded and that other people feel the same way! Honestly, I am very heavily leaning towards Pittsburgh just because of how much I loved it when I visited, but I do want to give Minneapolis a fighting chance as it sounds awesome as well.

Arlington seems amazing and gorgeous, but part of the reason I hightailed out of Socal (where I lived prior to Knoxville) was the congestion.

Is Wegmans a grocery store?
Yes, it is a family owned grocery store based in Rochester NY and has been rated as one of the "best" places to work, as well as grocery stores in the country, by some publications. Syracuse, which is only about an hour and 15/30 minutes away, has 8 of them in the metro area.

https://www.wegmans.com/about-us/com...ew.html#awards

Something else to add is that Syracuse is pretty good in terms of a low risk of natural disasters as well: https://www.cbsnews.com/media/top-10...-disasters/11/

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 11-07-2018 at 07:04 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-07-2018, 09:29 AM
 
Location: Clemson, SC by way of Tyler,TX
4,849 posts, read 2,978,355 times
Reputation: 3394
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehynbot View Post
I absolutely loved reading your description of Pittsburgh because that's the vibe I got from it when I visited on my college tour and I'm so happy that it is founded and that other people feel the same way! Honestly, I am very heavily leaning towards Pittsburgh just because of how much I loved it when I visited, but I do want to give Minneapolis a fighting chance as it sounds awesome as well.

Arlington seems amazing and gorgeous, but part of the reason I hightailed out of Socal (where I lived prior to Knoxville) was the congestion.

Is Wegmans a grocery store?
I think you get a good mix of everything in Pittsburgh. Probably a good choice for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-07-2018, 10:53 AM
 
56,546 posts, read 80,847,919 times
Reputation: 12490
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
What puts Syracuse in the mix is that it is the one with arguably the best institution for your major: https://www.esf.edu

While it is similar to Knoxville in terms of size, it is a more dense city/urban area as well.

It is one of the more affordable options out of the 4 as well. Here is an example of a home within city limits not too far from campus: https://www.cnyrealtor.com/index.php...SC&row=24&pos=

A neighborhood in between the campus and the listing above: https://westcottsyr.com/org/wna/

The area’s higher snowfall totals are north of the city in Oswego County, with lower annual snowfall totals decreasing further south. Snow removal is generally pretty good and timely, to where life goes on during the winter.

Syracuse also allows for access to lakes, mountains, sand dunes, canyons, canals and islands within an hour and half of the city, if not less for some places. It is also in a good location for day trips as well, given that it is within 4 or so hours from Toronto, NYC, Philadelphia and Montreal. It is also a straight shot down I-81 to Knoxville.

There is a dog park in this park: Wegmans Good Dog Park » Onondaga County Parks Some people go to this location with dogs as well: http://www.syracuse.ny.us/Parks/JamesPassArboretum.html

It would fit politically, as you can find representatives from both major parties, with some candidates running from other parties(i.e.-a Green Party or Independent candidate).

I believe that Arlington has the lowest crime rate, but the other 3 are pretty close, give or take.
More from this park(for anyone interested): Onondaga Lake Park » Onondaga County Parks

Some of the other outdoor amenities nearby that are within that drive time mentioned above: Parks » Onondaga County Parks

https://parks.ny.gov/parks/park-resu...x?r=5&c=&src=2

https://parks.ny.gov/parks/park-resu...x?r=4&c=&src=2
https://www.fingerlakes.org/
Finger Lakes NY Tourism | Finger Lakes Visitors Connection

https://parks.ny.gov/parks/park-resu...?r=10&c=&src=2
https://visit1000islands.com/first-time-visitors/
https://www.iloveny.com/places-to-go/1000-islands/

Old Forge New York in the Adirondacks | McCauley Mountain Ski | Water Park | Cruises | Lodging | Museums | Hiking, biking, swimming, fishing, boating, snowmobiling (closest community in the region to Syracuse)
https://visitadirondacks.com/first-time-visitors

https://parks.ny.gov/parks/79/details.aspx
https://parks.ny.gov/parks/43/details.aspx
https://parks.ny.gov/parks/62/details.aspx
https://parks.ny.gov/parks/36/details.aspx

https://eriecanalway.org/

So, there are plenty of options within a short drive...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-07-2018, 11:20 AM
 
Location: Knoxville, Tennessee
17 posts, read 5,237 times
Reputation: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
More from this park(for anyone interested): Onondaga Lake Park » Onondaga County Parks

Some of the other outdoor amenities nearby that are within that drive time mentioned above: Parks » Onondaga County Parks

https://parks.ny.gov/parks/park-resu...x?r=5&c=&src=2

https://parks.ny.gov/parks/park-resu...x?r=4&c=&src=2
https://www.fingerlakes.org/
Finger Lakes NY Tourism | Finger Lakes Visitors Connection

https://parks.ny.gov/parks/park-resu...?r=10&c=&src=2
https://visit1000islands.com/first-time-visitors/
https://www.iloveny.com/places-to-go/1000-islands/

Old Forge New York in the Adirondacks | McCauley Mountain Ski | Water Park | Cruises | Lodging | Museums | Hiking, biking, swimming, fishing, boating, snowmobiling (closest community in the region to Syracuse)
https://visitadirondacks.com/first-time-visitors

https://parks.ny.gov/parks/79/details.aspx
https://parks.ny.gov/parks/43/details.aspx
https://parks.ny.gov/parks/62/details.aspx
https://parks.ny.gov/parks/36/details.aspx

https://eriecanalway.org/

So, there are plenty of options within a short drive...
Urghh...reading these makes me really love Syracuse. Haha. I just wish it had a little less snow, but it also makes me really happy how much they embrace it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-07-2018, 12:30 PM
 
Location: Portland, Oregon (in Transition)
883 posts, read 439,483 times
Reputation: 1445
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehynbot View Post
Urghh...reading these makes me really love Syracuse. Haha. I just wish it had a little less snow, but it also makes me really happy how much they embrace it.
Make no mistake; Minnesotans also embrace their snow too. It is cold enough that what does fall sticks around once temperatures drop enough. It makes the 50 or so inches per year that Minneapolis gets seem like a lot more. Denver and Minneapolis even get the same amount on average. We in Duluth happily enjoy our 80+ inches of snow in per year like those in Syracuse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-07-2018, 08:35 PM
 
5,858 posts, read 14,044,713 times
Reputation: 3482
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornsnicker3 View Post
St. Paul is adjacent to Minneapolis, not really inside of it. It is inside the Minneapolis-St Paul metropolitan area AKA "The Cities" as is colloquially referred to by most Minnesotans.
Yes, I'm aware. I live here. Most people who DON'T live in Minnesota or in The Cities refer to any place in Minneapolis, St. Paul and all their suburbs as "Minneapolis". That's why I phrased my post that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-08-2018, 05:51 AM
 
Location: Portland, Oregon (in Transition)
883 posts, read 439,483 times
Reputation: 1445
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
Yes, I'm aware. I live here. Most people who DON'T live in Minnesota or in The Cities refer to any place in Minneapolis, St. Paul and all their suburbs as "Minneapolis". That's why I phrased my post that way.
Sorry, the sarcasm was missed. My bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-08-2018, 10:09 AM
 
903 posts, read 230,920 times
Reputation: 2047
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehynbot View Post
Hahaha, thank you everyone! From doing more research + y'alls answers, I think I've axed Arlington due to the prices in housing already being pretty high and like you guys said, likely even higher by the time I can venture to buy a house there.

It's looking like Syracuse may be out as well, due to the weather, unless I visit and absolutely fall in love. I'm looking into visiting Minneapolis, and then I'll swing around and visit Pittsburgh for the 2nd time (as it's been 3-4 years since I've been) and compare the two.

As far as bar setting goes, I am enamored with Pittsburgh so it'll be interesting to see if Minneapolis reaches or surpasses that! My SO would love to go back, but he's also interested in Pittsburgh, so we'll take some visits and have a real heart to heart on which would be better for us.

Thank you all so much for the answers again! This forum is helping me so much in narrowing down places to live.
As another poster has already said, SU has the best program for what you want to study, so I'm not sure I'd just dismiss it out of hand due to weather.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top