U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2018, 03:56 PM

17 posts, read 5,278 times

Advertisements

Hi all! You guys were a great help for me when I was trying to figure out some places I might be able to live. I've narrowed my options down to mostly these 4 (though I'm still really tempted by both Columbus and Cleveland OH...), and I'm curious how you'd rank these 4 on a few of my factors! If y'all want to throw Columbus and Cleveland in here too feel free, I just felt like that would be too many haha.

*Accessibility (especially during the winter). I have an environmental science degree so it's really likely that I'll be working somewhere more rural and have to commute in the snow. I know Minneapolis snows more days but less each day in comparison to Syracuse, which snows less days but more every time it snows. I'm assuming that makes Minneapolis easier to drive in.............right? (Please correct me if I'm wrong I've only lived in California/Arizona/Tennessee so snow is not my strong suit!)

Education. I want to go to grad school in an environmental field at some point, so being close to a university would be a major plus!

Low crime. I am a very tiny white girl. Very tiny. If someone attacks me I'll probably die. Jokes aside, I want somewhere that I can walk around in and feel safe.

*Budget: 250k for at least a 2 bedroom 2 bath ~1500 square foot with a decent sized yard for a German Shepherd. This probably rules out Arlington, lol.

*Politics: Moderate leaning left. California is too liberal but Tennessee is too conservative - happy medium somewhere?

Outdoorsy activities! Rain or shine, I love being outdoors, and preferably dog-friendly activities.

Climate: Snow is fine. I'll adapt. My SO is from Minneapolis originally (and is down for any of these but secretly definitely really wants me to pick Minneapolis....) so he'll show me the ropes, lol.

Which of these do y'all think fits my bill most succinctly, so I can visit there first? Full disclosure, I've already been to Pittsburgh, but that was to visit Pitt for potentially going there for uni, and I didn't really see much else. I absolutely LOVED what I saw, though.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2018, 04:20 PM

6,569 posts, read 10,296,040 times
Which Arlington? If it's Texas, it fails your outdoorsiness requirement spectacularly.

Old 11-05-2018, 04:43 PM

17 posts, read 5,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
Which Arlington? If it's Texas, it fails your outdoorsiness requirement spectacularly.
My bad, Virginia!

Old 11-05-2018, 05:02 PM

3,632 posts, read 1,223,127 times
Given the latest Amazom HQ2 news, I agree that you may want to rule out Arlington, VA.

Old 11-05-2018, 05:36 PM

1,233 posts, read 513,445 times
Whichever one youíre leaning towards or think will offer the most go there first to set the bar. Itíll be easier to judge the other two that way, at least in my opinion. I did this with colleges 25 years ago in multiple states and I ended up picking one I never thought I would towards the end, canít say I would if I started there. I know you donít like snow, but the fact your SO is from Minneapolis makes it the obvious choice, especially if they have family there. Then again maybe this is a good reason not to go there, lol. If that is the case Columbus or Cleveland might be a compromise as theyíre both much more doable drives to MN than it is from NY or VA. Good luck.

Old 11-06-2018, 05:12 AM

21,218 posts, read 30,435,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
Given the latest Amazom HQ2 news, I agree that you may want to rule out Arlington, VA.
Yes, because it would truly suck to buy before home prices take off....

Old 11-06-2018, 05:46 AM

3,632 posts, read 1,223,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Yes, because it would truly suck to buy before home prices take off....
Don't think they haven't already taken off just based off the news.

Old 11-06-2018, 07:00 AM

1,572 posts, read 752,407 times
I think Pittsburgh has some features in common with Knoxville, given the hilly Appalachian surroundings with thick forests and numerous waterways. The metro and city of Pittsburgh are certainly much larger and more urban in form, with a cooler, cloudier climate, and more liberal to moderate politics. But I think the natural aesthetics have some similarities, whereas the Twin Cities and DC areas look completely different. Syracuse is on more of the same size tier as Knoxville, so the level of urban infrastructure is below the other three. It's also one of the snowiest metro areas in the US so embracing winter would be essential to thriving there. My guess is that Pittsburgh is probably the best fit but hopefully you can visit all the options to make a well informed decision.

Old 11-06-2018, 07:18 AM

898 posts, read 447,206 times
Pittsburgh sounds like the winner here. Despite your SO being from Minneapolis, Pittsburgh is more affordable and has a climate more suitable for what you are used to. It has plenty of outdoorsy things to do and is located in a good spot to venture out to other parts of the country. Also, it is hard to beat the Carnegie-Mellon/Pitt duo for colleges.

I do warn, however, that the wet cold of the eastern part of the country is harsh. Minnesota's winters are colder, but drier. You are hearing it from someone who lives in the fifth coldest city in the US that the coldest I have ever felt was in Pittsburgh at 25 deg F with high humidity.

Old 11-06-2018, 08:02 AM

56,753 posts, read 81,082,761 times
What puts Syracuse in the mix is that it is the one with arguably the best institution for your major: https://www.esf.edu

While it is similar to Knoxville in terms of size, it is a more dense city/urban area as well.

It is one of the more affordable options out of the 4 as well. Here is an example of a home within city limits not too far from campus: https://www.cnyrealtor.com/index.php...SC&row=24&pos=

A neighborhood in between the campus and the listing above: https://westcottsyr.com/org/wna/

The areaís higher snowfall totals are north of the city in Oswego County, with lower annual snowfall totals decreasing further south. Snow removal is generally pretty good and timely, to where life goes on during the winter.

Syracuse also allows for access to lakes, mountains, sand dunes, canyons, canals and islands within an hour and half of the city, if not less for some places. It is also in a good location for day trips as well, given that it is within 4 or so hours from Toronto, NYC, Philadelphia and Montreal. It is also a straight shot down I-81 to Knoxville.

There is a dog park in this park: Wegmans Good Dog Park Ľ Onondaga County Parks Some people go to this location with dogs as well: http://www.syracuse.ny.us/Parks/JamesPassArboretum.html

It would fit politically, as you can find representatives from both major parties, with some candidates running from other parties(i.e.-a Green Party or Independent candidate).

I believe that Arlington has the lowest crime rate, but the other 3 are pretty close, give or take.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 11-06-2018 at 08:40 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or