Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 08:15 PM

43 posts, read 214,406 times

Advertisements

Hey all. I'm a 27 year old woman who was born and raised MA. I grew up in southeastern mass in the suburbs and have lived in the Back Bay area (right downtown) for the past 5 years. I have recently decided to make a "big move" when my current lease ends on August 31st, and I am looking for some advice as to where the best city or area may be for me to move to.

I have a bachelor's degree in Journalism and P.R but currently work as a nanny in the South End of boston and take part time evening classes in Education. My next job position in I HOPE would be in the same line of work, but I also have a ton of experience in retail, Hospitality, sales, and also public relations. What is the best job market like for education and these above fields ?

Another bit about me....I do not have a license due to a seizure disorder that I have. I am otherwise healthy, but my doctor has recommended that I do not drive. This obviously puts me at HUGE disadvantage whereever I move, because I know most cities are not as "public transportation friendly" as boston is. In fact, I have more friends who DON'T have cars than DO. I need to move to an area that is public transportation friendly!

Furthermore, I am a VERY friendly, outgoing person. I have always found Boston to be cold, rude, and judgmental. I did want to add that I am in fact gay and I am a hardcore liberal and this is something that I have always felt very comfortable being here in MA.

What else am I looking for in the city I relocate to? Well probably most importantly, I need a more temperate climate I HATE the cold of new england, so please do not suggest anyplace that is as cold or colder than here. I would prefer a climate that is closer to mild year round, but I can take a little bit of winter...just not the 6 months we get of it here! I also would like to live in a city that has a great gay nightlife scene and a great cultural scene as well. I knwo this may be kind of vague but I am really just starting my search since my move is still 5 months away. Thank you in advance for any help or advice! Take care!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2008, 09:06 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,920,873 times
In terms of public transportation, NYC is probably your next best bet. Unfortunately, the weather isn't much better.

Hmmm..how about the San Francisco metro? If you can afford it, it would be a great fit.
Maybe Charleston, SC (the city seems very compact, which in theory, should be pedestrian-friendly).

Old 04-05-2008, 01:19 PM

769 posts, read 2,232,739 times
Is Boston really that bad? My brother lives there.

Old 04-05-2008, 01:49 PM

43 posts, read 214,406 times
What!,

it's not really that bad...if you can stand the cold weather, cold personalities, and a VERY small city where everyone knows you and your business.

It's also not bad I am sure if you are new to the area. I've lived here all my life though...so I am kind of tired of it! Where in Boston does your brother live?

Old 04-05-2008, 02:08 PM

2,114 posts, read 4,916,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chesneyfan1 View Post
, and a VERY small city where everyone knows you and your business.
If you know everyone's business in Boston I am impressed and have some questions to ask you about some people. Seriously, what? A city of half a million and a metro of 5 million. its not exactly maybury.

But it is cold and rude. I wouldn't have it any other way.

For the OP: I mean YA San Fran would be the obvious answer. Good transit, good weather, gay, liberal. It all checks out. It seems like the things you like about Boston are also true in San Fran but so is nice weather and nice(r) people.

EDIT: hahaha I just realized I was responding to 2 people.....who are the same person. So ya, that was all directed at chesneyfan I guess

Old 04-05-2008, 02:55 PM

252 posts, read 710,273 times
Well, DC has a great subway/bus system. Teachers are always needed. And I believe the gay scene is vibrant (try the Dupont Circle area).

DC is nothing but an overgrown town. However, there are a lot of cultural things to do there.

Old 04-05-2008, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chesneyfan1 View Post
What!,

it's not really that bad...if you can stand the cold weather, cold personalities, and a VERY small city where everyone knows you and your business.

It's also not bad I am sure if you are new to the area. I've lived here all my life though...so I am kind of tired of it! Where in Boston does your brother live?
Actually, now that I think about it, he may live in either Brighton, MA or Brockton, MA. I'm not sure. He's only recently moved there, like in late 2005/early 2006 and I've never visited him. I was actually thinking about visiting him this year so your perspective is much appreciated. Thanks.

Old 04-05-2008, 03:39 PM

Good weather and good public transportation is hard to find in the U.S. That sucks.

But I'm sure you can find some place. Hmmm....some places have good transportation and are warm but don't have much to offer as far as lively events and places to go to. Are you okay with going to a place that could bore you but have all right weather? Is nightlife truly important for you?

Old 04-05-2008, 07:55 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,690,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWereRabbit View Post
If you know everyone's business in Boston I am impressed and have some questions to ask you about some people. Seriously, what? A city of half a million and a metro of 5 million. its not exactly maybury.

But it is cold and rude. I wouldn't have it any other way.

For the OP: I mean YA San Fran would be the obvious answer. Good transit, good weather, gay, liberal. It all checks out. It seems like the things you like about Boston are also true in San Fran but so is nice weather and nice(r) people.

EDIT: hahaha I just realized I was responding to 2 people.....who are the same person. So ya, that was all directed at chesneyfan I guess
I STG I must be the only one on the planet who LOVES Bostonians. I've been there a bunch in the past few years (and I'll be there again in May) and the people are so nice and friendly and full of personality. I hear about the stereotypical nasty ppl from Beantown and it just baffles me.

Old 04-05-2008, 08:54 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,192,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by What! View Post
Is Boston really that bad? My brother lives there.
Just left MA after 15 years last summer. If you like frigid snowy winters that never end, and politics so left and wacky that Vladimir Lenin would feel like a conservative, then you'll love MA. The scenery in New England is wonderful, especially in fall, but that only goes so far and the provincial and NIMBY thinking just gets old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.