U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2018, 04:19 AM

1,683 posts, read 836,988 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifat View Post
Haha. No. Just no.

I flew into LAX this past May (not Labor Day weekend), early on a quiet Saturday morning.

Took me literally five hours to drive from LAX to Santa Barbara, almost entirely due to gridlock in LA. All before noon. On a Saturday. I've never seen completely paralyzed freeways like this before anywhere else in the country.

Maybe you should have taken PCH from the airport to Ventura at least. That's the thing about LA outside of rush hour. The freeways may be crowded but you can take side streets and get where you're going faster.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2018, 02:16 PM

3,768 posts, read 2,554,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 216facts View Post
By far and away the best city in which to drive a car is LA. The view, the terrain, and the quality of the road system is 2nd to none (including San Fran.) Oh sure, there's congestion, but that is just a challenge during the rush hours. A challenge that can be insanely frustrating or it can be met with proper planning. Road rage, well, that's just the sport of it all and that can happen anywhere. If I had only one city to drive a car in, it would easily be LA.
I get what you're saying you mean the overall driving experience like views and everything, and for that LA is has terrific views especially when you're at the beach, and can see the mountain tops covered in snow without having to drive in snow or freeze to death. It's definitely the most congested city in the country, but i can't think of another city that has as many different highways, and majority of them are interesting to drive down driving through Canyons, over mountains, Ocean views, desert views, and just plain city.

When I first moved here I would always drive around and would always say to myself wow, this is beautiful!

Old 11-18-2018, 03:50 PM

5,853 posts, read 6,526,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
Detroit, no contest.

It was recently deemed to have the least amount of traffic congestion in the country amongst MSAs with 3+ million people.
There still must be a miracle worker out there bc Detroit easily has the worst public transit system in the nation. That is, unless you consider a one way, two mile PM around DT Detroit to be impessive rail.

If Detroit is doing this well, it seems to me NYC should shut down its crumbling subway system and give all New Yorkers a.car. Iím sure the Big Apple would easily pony up for a 100,000 car garage in Long Island City to make it all work.

Old 11-18-2018, 10:53 PM

1,991 posts, read 864,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 216facts View Post
By far and away the best city in which to drive a car is LA. The view, the terrain, and the quality of the road system is 2nd to none (including San Fran.) Oh sure, there's congestion, but that is just a challenge during the rush hours. A challenge that can be insanely frustrating or it can be met with proper planning. Road rage, well, that's just the sport of it all and that can happen anywhere. If I had only one city to drive a car in, it would easily be LA.
Itís easy to view all those amazing things when youíre sitting behind 10 miles of traffic. Iíve driven to LA before and I agree with what youíre saying but the drive is rather annoying since itís the only option around the city for the most part.

Old 11-23-2018, 10:12 PM

109 posts, read 84,183 times
Phoenix and Detroit grid system makes it easy to get around

Old 11-24-2018, 07:16 PM

596 posts, read 675,928 times
I would like to acknowledge Indianapolis. It may not be the best but I thought it was wonderful. I was there for a week last year and getting around was a breeze. I live in Austin, which is about the same size metro. However, traffic could not have been different. Driving around Indianapolis during rush hour was pleasant. There was the occasional backing up of traffic but it was still moving at around 45 mph and only lasted a few minutes. Also, if it wasn't rush hour, there was no traffic at all. Again, this compared to Austin, which has traffic problems out of proportion to the size of the metro.

Someone mentioned Dallas earlier and I second that. For a metro of its size, traffic gets around surprisingly well.

Old 11-25-2018, 08:38 AM

2,918 posts, read 3,633,659 times
Iíd say Phoenix which also makes it one of the worst for pedestrians. The city and suburbs are full of wide streets. Weíd call them boulevards, but itís their normal street for traffic. What makes them good for driving and bad for pedestrians are the super long distances between traffic lights. 1-2 miles is very common. Great if youíre driving, but terrible if you have to run across a wide street with speeding cars and no traffic lights.

Also the freeways in Phoenix move pretty well. Iíve noticed that the rush hour starts extremely early in the morning compared to LA. I assume that itís because people that work outdoors in the heat want to get a jump on cooler weather but whatever the reason it spreads out traffic pretty well.

Old 11-28-2018, 05:25 AM

5,643 posts, read 7,445,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
I’d say Phoenix which also makes it one of the worst for pedestrians. The city and suburbs are full of wide streets. We’d call them boulevards, but it’s their normal street for traffic. What makes them good for driving and bad for pedestrians are the super long distances between traffic lights. 1-2 miles is very common. Great if you’re driving, but terrible if you have to run across a wide street with speeding cars and no traffic lights.

Also the freeways in Phoenix move pretty well. I’ve noticed that the rush hour starts extremely early in the morning compared to LA. I assume that it’s because people that work outdoors in the heat want to get a jump on cooler weather but whatever the reason it spreads out traffic pretty well.
I completely agree with your post. Phoenix roadways can be great for drivers and horrible for pedestrians (and often other drivers). The freeways move pretty well with the exception of I-10 W. (especially in the morning). Traffic flow on most of the major freeways is relatively good with the exception of the really crazy drivers weaving in and out and blasting down the HOV lanes. The traffic flow on boulevards varies depending on the time of day and it's not unusual for drivers to go 50-60 down them. It doesn't help that due to the distances between lights, that pedestrians have to walk longer distances to arrive at crosswalks, but many ignore them anyway. What irritates me are the pedestrians who ignore crosswalks when they are within 100 feet of them. Also, many pedestrians who have their heads buried in their phones while crossing roadways. Probably the most irritating thing for me though is when drivers ride my tale when driving through residential areas/roads where the speed limit is 30-35 and there are school zones. Many more bike lanes are being installed in residential areas which I like. I would say I have it pretty easy though since I primarily work remotely. When I do go to the office, I leave home at 5:30 AM and try to get there by 6AM, so traffic isn't too horrific at that time in the morning.

Old 11-28-2018, 05:54 AM

3,187 posts, read 1,441,951 times
I haven't been everywhere but I've been a lot of places and Phoenix is the best city to drive in that I've been in. Sure, it can take awhile to get somewhere because it's so huge and spread out but you can go fast much of the time.

Old 11-28-2018, 04:05 PM

1,041 posts, read 520,492 times
Well my top 3 are Phoenix, DFW, and Houston in that order. Ironically, those are also the top three most dangerous metros to drive in, for many of the same reasons they're great to drive in - wide, plentiful streets and freeways and a culture of using speed limits as a suggestion.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/loc...t-12865072.php (worth reading but may be paywalled)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or