Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2018, 10:21 AM

3,877 posts, read 3,891,073 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
Detroit, no contest.

It was recently deemed to have the least amount of traffic congestion in the country amongst MSAs with 3+ million people.
Maybe it's due to less people commuting to the central city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2018, 10:26 AM

8,302 posts, read 5,695,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean1the1 View Post
Maybe it's due to less people commuting to the central city.
The study I referred to takes to account the entire MSA, nit just the central city.

I think.anyone who has driven a significant amount in Detroit can attest to how easy it is to navigate, between its mile road system and having extremely wide avenues.

Old 11-14-2018, 09:11 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,685,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornsnicker3 View Post
The two that really stand out in my opinion are Phoenix and Minneapolis. I enjoy driving in both and feel that their respective infrastructure and roads are really good.
Lots of traffic in Minneapolis.

Old 11-14-2018, 10:11 PM

1,629 posts, read 2,627,221 times
Phoenix (grid network resulting in a seemingly endless assortment of routes to get almost anywhere, high speed limits, smooth and wide roads, almost non-existent street parking to block thru traffic). The downside to this is the highest pedestrian fatality rate of any major city in the country due to fast speeds on city streets, numerous horrific accidents, extreme levels of impatience and rage among the majority of drivers whenever there are other cars around, tons of speeding (60+ MPH is not unusual on arterial streets in the middle of the city) and lack of enforcement due to the sprawl and the small number of police officers relative to the population of the city.

Old 11-15-2018, 06:59 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,892,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
The study I referred to takes to account the entire MSA, nit just the central city.

I think.anyone who has driven a significant amount in Detroit can attest to how easy it is to navigate, between its mile road system and having extremely wide avenues.
Agreed. I've driven in many cities and metro areas and hands down Detroit was the easiest to navigate for the reasons you mentioned.

It's also helpful that they have freeways going in pretty much any direction you need to go

Something about Michigan drivers, too. They seem to be the best of all the places I've lived so that might play into it as well. We lived up there 10 years and it was very rare to see an accident; other places it was a daily occurrence

Even in rush hour traffic, it seemed to move pretty smoothly for the most part.

Old 11-15-2018, 07:05 PM

1,223 posts, read 1,040,431 times
By far and away the best city in which to drive a car is LA. The view, the terrain, and the quality of the road system is 2nd to none (including San Fran.) Oh sure, there's congestion, but that is just a challenge during the rush hours. A challenge that can be insanely frustrating or it can be met with proper planning. Road rage, well, that's just the sport of it all and that can happen anywhere. If I had only one city to drive a car in, it would easily be LA.

Old 11-16-2018, 03:12 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,087,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 216facts View Post
By far and away the best city in which to drive a car is LA. The view, the terrain, and the quality of the road system is 2nd to none (including San Fran.) Oh sure, there's congestion, but that is just a challenge during the rush hours.
Haha. No. Just no.

I flew into LAX this past May (not Labor Day weekend), early on a quiet Saturday morning.

Took me literally five hours to drive from LAX to Santa Barbara, almost entirely due to gridlock in LA. All before noon. On a Saturday. I've never seen completely paralyzed freeways like this before anywhere else in the country.

Old 11-16-2018, 03:32 PM

14,668 posts, read 14,629,286 times
Another vote for Detroit. It was built around automobiles (unfortunately for those who take public transit), like LA but minus the gridlock.

Old 11-16-2018, 04:14 PM

1,223 posts, read 1,040,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifat View Post
Haha. No. Just no.

I flew into LAX this past May (not Labor Day weekend), early on a quiet Saturday morning.

Took me literally five hours to drive from LAX to Santa Barbara, almost entirely due to gridlock in LA. All before noon. On a Saturday. I've never seen completely paralyzed freeways like this before anywhere else in the country.
You had an exception, right now it is 3:15 PM in LA and my google maps is saying its 2 hr 52 min from LAX to Santa Barbara. And Friday nights are the worst. Saturday morning, you should have been able to make it in much less than that.

Old 11-16-2018, 07:45 PM

3,291 posts, read 2,768,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 216facts View Post
By far and away the best city in which to drive a car is LA. The view, the terrain, and the quality of the road system is 2nd to none (including San Fran.) Oh sure, there's congestion, but that is just a challenge during the rush hours. A challenge that can be insanely frustrating or it can be met with proper planning. Road rage, well, that's just the sport of it all and that can happen anywhere. If I had only one city to drive a car in, it would easily be LA.

One of the worst cities to drive in. Rush hour is all day, and bad drivers and d-bags all around you. There are hundreds of cities better to drive in than LA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.