U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2018, 06:07 AM

613 posts, read 509,036 times

Advertisements

What major city enjoys the best road system, least congestion, least amount of road rage, and ample parking within the city?

Lets give the underappreciated a chance to shine!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2018, 06:32 AM

894 posts, read 444,596 times
The two that really stand out in my opinion are Phoenix and Minneapolis. I enjoy driving in both and feel that their respective infrastructure and roads are really good.

Old 11-07-2018, 06:36 AM

613 posts, read 509,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornsnicker3 View Post
The two that really stand out in my opinion are Phoenix and Minneapolis. I enjoy driving in both and feel that their respective infrastructure and roads are really good.
Driving in phoenix was a dream compared to boston / nyc

Old 11-07-2018, 09:42 AM

5,302 posts, read 3,329,341 times
I second the Phoenix Metroplex, not sure if there's less road rage there, but the freeways are amazing. It does help that it's "relatively" flat in the Valley with a grid system, there's no ice, so no salt needed, and the citizens of Maricopa County decided to tax themselves to build such an amazing system!

Old 11-07-2018, 01:48 PM

2,990 posts, read 2,149,478 times
Since the mid 70's, when I started going to San Antonio, one of the 1st things I noticed about San Antonio is how much better the traffic moves than in Austin, DFW, and Houston.

It seems like traffic has always moved pretty good in, around, and thru San Antonio, even during rush hour. San Antonio seems to have done a good job at keeping up it's roads with it's population growth, so San Antonio never really had the traffic congestion and traffic back ups that has plagued Austin, Houston and Dallas/Ft. Worth for decades.

Old 11-12-2018, 03:11 PM

345 posts, read 789,019 times
Top ten metro wise, Dallas, Texas is the best. Almost incomparable freeway traffic flow to LA, NYC, ATL, DC. Its not all smooth sailing and there is freeway traffic and traffic jams but not as bad as the other largest metros in the US. Possibly the population growth can eventually catch up and get to LA/SOCAL levels but so far(years-decades) DFW Metro has done the best job in traffic infrastructure imo. Not sure about parking though.

Old 11-12-2018, 07:50 PM

3,788 posts, read 3,012,559 times
Detroit at 12th largest CSA I think does pretty well for itself traffic wise compared to a
Number of significantly smaller places.

Old 11-12-2018, 10:08 PM

1,689 posts, read 843,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
Since the mid 70's, when I started going to San Antonio, one of the 1st things I noticed about San Antonio is how much better the traffic moves than in Austin, DFW, and Houston.

It seems like traffic has always moved pretty good in, around, and thru San Antonio, even during rush hour. San Antonio seems to have done a good job at keeping up it's roads with it's population growth, so San Antonio never really had the traffic congestion and traffic back ups that has plagued Austin, Houston and Dallas/Ft. Worth for decades.
I think the more service-oriented economy of SA is what kept it that way. Phoenix, San Diego, and Orlando are similar cities whose rush hour traffic has functioned this way. San Antonio's freeway system isn't much better than the other three Texas metros. It's pretty even actually outside of Austin. Last time I was in SA was January 2016 and it was during morning rush hour. It was pretty bad and worse than I ever remembered for SA. This was from the east side of the metro up to Boerne.

Old 11-13-2018, 04:14 AM

3,625 posts, read 1,216,773 times
Detroit, no contest.

It was recently deemed to have the least amount of traffic congestion in the country amongst MSAs with 3+ million people.

Old 11-13-2018, 06:46 AM

105 posts, read 38,724 times
I found Kansas City incredibly easy to drive in compared to Denver, where I live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or