Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2018, 07:32 AM

9,909 posts, read 7,689,224 times

Advertisements

Hi my wife and I want to look at other States to live and get a change of lifestyle.

We enjoy New England especially Maine and New Hampshire.

Snow doesn't bother us much.

We just don't want to go to a place that feels like people are on top of you or heavy congested traffic.

Also place that is open with Religion or has a "Mind Their Own Business Attitude".

State not restrictive or many regulations on civil liberties.

Has a college and a large hospital for work and study.

Close to the Ocean or a big lake.

Thoughts???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2018, 07:35 AM

1,083 posts, read 1,034,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
Hi my wife and I want to look at other States to live and get a change of lifestyle.

We just don't want to go to a place that feels like people are on top of you or heavy congested traffic.

Also place that is open with Religion or has a "Mind Their Own Business Attitude".

Thoughts???
I cannot think of a better place than your own recommendation. Live free or die is their motto right?

Old 11-08-2018, 08:18 AM

2,363 posts, read 1,850,107 times
Yea NH could be a good fit:

https://goo.gl/maps/jju67v2h2pr

no schools or major hospitals near the lakes though

Old 11-08-2018, 08:50 AM

11,061 posts, read 7,135,481 times
Be careful not to get too far from your roots and what is normal to you. The farther you go from your roots, the more likely life, common mindset, and culture will start to vary, and can even become alien and foreign.

Maybe just a smaller, quieter city/town in your area? Somewhere with less roads and lower population density?

Old 11-08-2018, 09:15 AM

1,541 posts, read 1,675,137 times
Agreed that NH sounds like a great place for you. Or even Burlington, VT if you can afford it. I love the lake up there.

Old 11-08-2018, 10:37 AM

6,804 posts, read 6,027,453 times
Minnesota or Wisconsin, maybe?

(I don’t know very much about either states, but based on my preconceived notions they sound like a good fit.)

Old 11-08-2018, 10:51 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,432,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Be careful not to get too far from your roots and what is normal to you. The farther you go from your roots, the more likely life, common mindset, and culture will start to vary, and can even become alien and foreign.

Maybe just a smaller, quieter city/town in your area? Somewhere with less roads and lower population density?
This is not a popular sentiment in this day and age, but I completely agree with this. I definitely hope to return to my roots in the not too distant future.

Old 11-08-2018, 11:09 AM

5,349 posts, read 5,123,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheVVALRUS View Post

(I don’t know very much about either states, but based on my preconceived notions they sound like a good fit.)
I don’t know what advantage these would have over the interior northeast except maybe cost. These areas are pretty similar geographically speaking.

Old 11-08-2018, 11:22 AM

1,083 posts, read 1,034,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheVVALRUS View Post

Duluth is actually a mighty good fit with UMD and St. Scholastica for colleges and Essentia for hospitals. Lake Superior needs no introduction. I still think New Hampshire's closeness to Connecticut and more libertarian mindset is better overall than Minnesota for this particular person. Moving is expensive and moving very far is very expensive.

Old 11-08-2018, 02:17 PM

93,170 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post

Thoughts???
Besides maybe the highlighted area, the Syracuse NY area would actually be a good fit. It pretty much has everything else...Besides Syracuse University and SUNY-ESF(Environmental Science & Forestry), you also have the SUNY Upstate Medical Center right on University Hill: Upstate Medical University | SUNY Upstate Medical University

https://university-hill.com/
https://crousemarshall.com/

You also have Crouse Hospital, Upstate Golisano Children's Hospital, Hutchings Psychiatric Center and a VA Hospital also in that area of the city. There's also St. Joseph's Hospital on the city's North Side(has a school of nursing) and Upstate's Community General Hospital on Onondaga Hill, a suburb to the SW.

Le Moyne College is located on the city's East Side next to the town of DeWitt(has a nursing program partnered with Crouse Hospital's Pomeroy School of Nursing) and Onondaga Community College is also located on Onondaga Hill.

Lake Ontario is about 45 minutes away, Skaneateles and Otisco Lakes, a couple of Finger Lakes, are about 20 or so minutes away. Same for Oneida Lake to the north, which is the biggest inland lake in NY State.

You can get anywhere in the immediate area within 20 minutes, give or take.

Religion isn't something people are "pressed" about.

With this said, there are other parts of the Northeast that would fit and this likely comes down to other criteria that you may have(neighborhoods, property, etc).

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 11-08-2018 at 02:36 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.