U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-09-2018, 11:28 PM
 
384 posts, read 160,404 times
Reputation: 61

Advertisements

Thanks for your reply! Are there any parts of TX that are better than others in terms of the weather or it's all the same? Can handle the heat and humid to some extent but if it means always staying in and not much getting out then it would defeat the purpose of moving out of places where it's mainly Winter blues most of the year!
Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
Can you handle hot and humid summers?If you cant, I would eliminate Texas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-09-2018, 11:30 PM
 
384 posts, read 160,404 times
Reputation: 61
Thanks for offering your perspective. That's interesting .. kind like a middle ground. You bring up good points and I've seen some folks in the healthcare move to NC from NY. Will look into it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I would recommend someplace more halfway than the usual relocation to FL or TX that many from the Northeast jump at to escape winter. While warm winters may seem nice consider the brutal eight months of heat and humidity that constitutes "summer". I would recommend if seeking a place with thriving employment sectors for your jobs, excellent schools and more affordable housing the cities of Chapel Hill-Carrboro in North Carolina. They are within a thirty minute commute of the IT hub in Research Triangle Park between Durham and Raleigh plus in close proximity to the University of North Carolina Hospitals and less than thirty minutes to Duke University Medical Center or Duke Regional Hospital. Chapel Hill-Carrboro City Schools are the top-ranked school district in North Carolina and have a tradition as such. Home prices are quite affordable given the school quality and coming from the Northeast should seem a bargain for dollars per square foot along with lot size. Salaries are also more in line with what you're accustomed to versus FL or TX for example where there is usually a significant drop off, often referred to jokingly as the Sunshine Tax.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-09-2018, 11:31 PM
 
384 posts, read 160,404 times
Reputation: 61
Thank you for your reply. Another vote for NC!! Sounds promising.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I like the Charlotte and Raleigh areas. Reasonable cost of living and fairly strong job markets overall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-09-2018, 11:47 PM
 
17,690 posts, read 4,080,266 times
Reputation: 5622
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamanewuser View Post
Thanks for your reply! Are there any parts of TX that are better than others in terms of the weather or it's all the same? Can handle the heat and humid to some extent but if it means always staying in and not much getting out then it would defeat the purpose of moving out of places where it's mainly Winter blues most of the year!
the only big city in Texas that does not have humidity is El Paso.....however there are some stand-alone cities in West Texas and the Panhandle that do not have humidity.Midland-Odessa,Abilene,San Angelo,Lubbock, and Amarillo aint humid. Those cities and El Paso would have milder summers than Austin.Netime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-10-2018, 01:54 AM
 
17,690 posts, read 4,080,266 times
Reputation: 5622
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamanewuser View Post
Thank you for your reply. I'll take that as a compliment! :-)! I've always had interest in learning the English language from early school (8th grade) and I had no idea that I would move to US at some point in my life. Even though I'm not from a country where English is spoken by the masses but it's a language that's taught in schools in early grades and all courses at my my engineering school were taught in English..

I'm thinking for IT jobs not so much tied to location as one could always do the work remotely. My spouse's job in healthcare needs physical presence. So moving to Washington would be fine from my job's point of view.

I'm willing to move to somewhere in CA if it's affordable and may be little far from the $$ areas since I wouldn't necessarily need to be close to the big cities SanFran etc.

Budget is not set in stone yet, anywhere from $300k - $500k and up..possibly close to a mil but don't have that kind of money at present. The high end pf that price range is something we may move towards after saving up for it but initially may move to something more on the lower end in that range.. Looking for more bang for the buck. Would prefer newer construction or privacy where houses have some distances between them to give some privacy..

No state tax is attractive and I'm thinking should be an important factor over longer period as it must add up in terms of tax savings

No State Tax states: Alaska, Florida, Nevada, South Dakota, Texas, Washington, and Wyoming. Alaska is out..too cold. Nevada, don't know much about except Las Vegas and it's next to CA. SD, no idea. TX, in the running. Washington, has your vote. WY, no idea.

Home prices in Washington compared to CA are attractive. For the most part, I don't want to pay for the "brand", no point in living in NYC in a shoebox when one can buy much bigger place in either outside NYC while still staying in NY state or in some other state all together..
Well ur rite that Texas has no income tax but the property taxes more than make up for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-13-2018, 05:18 PM
 
384 posts, read 160,404 times
Reputation: 61
There's no free ride apparently. Is there a way to search places to live based on cost of living and other factors? How can I learn about various regions in US? So there's East Coast, West Coast, South, Mid West? Which is the overall best place/region to move to for long term?

How should I use this forum effectively to narrow down the choices?

Last edited by iamanewuser; 11-13-2018 at 05:26 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-13-2018, 07:32 PM
 
3,601 posts, read 1,533,669 times
Reputation: 3032
I say Raleigh/Durham, NC. One of the best metros in the nation for IT and healthcare, especially for its size. Cost of living is reasonable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-13-2018, 07:40 PM
 
5,012 posts, read 4,719,426 times
Reputation: 4631
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamanewuser View Post
Thank you for your reply. I'll take that as a compliment! :-)! I've always had interest in learning the English language from early school (8th grade) and I had no idea that I would move to US at some point in my life. Even though I'm not from a country where English is spoken by the masses but it's a language that's taught in schools in early grades and all courses at my my engineering school were taught in English..

I'm thinking for IT jobs not so much tied to location as one could always do the work remotely. My spouse's job in healthcare needs physical presence. So moving to Washington would be fine from my job's point of view.

I'm willing to move to somewhere in CA if it's affordable and may be little far from the $$ areas since I wouldn't necessarily need to be close to the big cities SanFran etc.

Budget is not set in stone yet, anywhere from $300k - $500k and up..possibly close to a mil but don't have that kind of money at present. The high end pf that price range is something we may move towards after saving up for it but initially may move to something more on the lower end in that range.. Looking for more bang for the buck. Would prefer newer construction or privacy where houses have some distances between them to give some privacy..

No state tax is attractive and I'm thinking should be an important factor over longer period as it must add up in terms of tax savings

No State Tax states: Alaska, Florida, Nevada, South Dakota, Texas, Washington, and Wyoming. Alaska is out..too cold. Nevada, don't know much about except Las Vegas and it's next to CA. SD, no idea. TX, in the running. Washington, has your vote. WY, no idea.

Home prices in Washington compared to CA are attractive. For the most part, I don't want to pay for the "brand", no point in living in NYC in a shoebox when one can buy much bigger place in either outside NYC while still staying in NY state or in some other state all together..

You missed TN as a no income tax state. You should look at Williamson County, TN. Just south of Nashville, excellent schools, reasonable cost of living, and well educated populace. Itís one of the top 10 wealthiest counties in the country but the cost of housing is much more reasonable than other wealthy areas. Plenty of IT jobs currently in Nashville and more coming with the Amazon operations center announced today. And Nashville is a healthcare hub. HCA is one of the largest employers here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-13-2018, 07:59 PM
 
384 posts, read 160,404 times
Reputation: 61
Thanks for your reply, another vote for NC! it seems pretty popular around here. Good to know and have heard good things about the area.
Quote:
Originally Posted by march2 View Post
I say Raleigh/Durham, NC. One of the best metros in the nation for IT and healthcare, especially for its size. Cost of living is reasonable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-13-2018, 08:00 PM
 
384 posts, read 160,404 times
Reputation: 61
Did I? I got the list from Internet. Thank you for replying. I didn't consider TN as a possible destination but with your input, looks promising. Don't know much about it, will look more into it. It might the be best kept secret..who knows?
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
You missed TN as a no income tax state. You should look at Williamson County, TN. Just south of Nashville, excellent schools, reasonable cost of living, and well educated populace. It’s one of the top 10 wealthiest counties in the country but the cost of housing is much more reasonable than other wealthy areas. Plenty of IT jobs currently in Nashville and more coming with the Amazon operations center announced today. And Nashville is a healthcare hub. HCA is one of the largest employers here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top