U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-23-2018, 06:16 PM
 
105 posts, read 42,691 times
Reputation: 74

Advertisements

Huntsville Alabama.

Don't let the "Alabama" aspect scare you. Great whether. Highly educated work force; with a M.S. in CS; I'm often the least educated among my friends. Low taxes. Family friendly. Check it out.

https://patch.com/alabama/huntsville...-news-rankings

https://www.niche.com/places-to-live...on-al/reviews/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-23-2018, 11:20 PM
 
376 posts, read 155,667 times
Reputation: 56
Thank you for your reply! Those are great points..like the property taxes to be low so 1% is not bad. Coming from NY where it's craziness. What's the point of owning a home free and clear and still be out for $1000 per month depending on the home square footage and the county it's in.

I also see other states where the property taxes is even lower. SC at 0.57% seems to be # 6 (lowest property taxes), NC at 0.86 is #22.

https://wallethub.com/edu/states-wit...y-taxes/11585/

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorfan63 View Post
#1: Large tech, bio, and pharma presence which are fighting for skilled tech talent. Large healthcare presence also fighting for talented staff.

#2: Income taxes are low and fixed.

#3: Real estate is crazy cheap for what you get and reo taxes are also crazy low (~1% in Wake County).

#4: Great private schools! (public schools depend on the county you land in)

#5: Family friendly and mountains or ocean are only a few hours drive.

https://www.raleighnc.gov/home/conte...esRaleigh.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-23-2018, 11:25 PM
 
376 posts, read 155,667 times
Reputation: 56
I in fact visited a friend and stayed for couple days there, flew into Mobile, AL. He used to teach at Univ. of South Alabama. My recollection was that it's pretty small airport, not that anything's wrong with it. Will take a look at the town you mentioned.

I remember him saying something ridiculous about buying an acre of land or something for $20,000 or something like that but I think he was also affected by the hurricanes (don't remember the name).

How about local IT and healthcare scene?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick In Madison View Post
Huntsville Alabama.

Don't let the "Alabama" aspect scare you. Great whether. Highly educated work force; with a M.S. in CS; I'm often the least educated among my friends. Low taxes. Family friendly. Check it out.

https://patch.com/alabama/huntsville...-news-rankings

https://www.niche.com/places-to-live...on-al/reviews/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-24-2018, 12:19 AM
 
Location: North Caroline
250 posts, read 127,923 times
Reputation: 368
Raleigh. A wonderful place to live and raise a family, with certainly no shortage of either healthcare or technology-related jobs given its location within the entire Research Triangle region.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-24-2018, 08:02 AM
 
Location: Tennessee
23,541 posts, read 17,525,434 times
Reputation: 27576
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamanewuser View Post
I in fact visited a friend and stayed for couple days there, flew into Mobile, AL. He used to teach at Univ. of South Alabama. My recollection was that it's pretty small airport, not that anything's wrong with it. Will take a look at the town you mentioned.

I remember him saying something ridiculous about buying an acre of land or something for $20,000 or something like that but I think he was also affected by the hurricanes (don't remember the name).

How about local IT and healthcare scene?
I doubt Mobile would have much in the way of an IT scene. The thing about a small metro like Huntsville is that employment options are just going to be a lot more limited than somewhere like Raleigh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-24-2018, 08:04 AM
 
Location: N. Raleigh
707 posts, read 1,343,216 times
Reputation: 1105
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamanewuser View Post
Thank you for your reply! Those are great points..like the property taxes to be low so 1% is not bad. Coming from NY where it's craziness. What's the point of owning a home free and clear and still be out for $1000 per month depending on the home square footage and the county it's in.

I also see other states where the property taxes is even lower. SC at 0.57% seems to be # 6 (lowest property taxes), NC at 0.86 is #22.

https://wallethub.com/edu/states-wit...y-taxes/11585/
Property taxes are set by the county in which you buy, so keep that in mind. We purchased in a beautiful neighborhood in North Raleigh which is just is a step outside of the city limit and property taxes here are (county .65 + fire .09) ~ .75% and if you are in the city the taxes are more like 1-1.1% which makes a big difference here since homes in my neighborhood can go anywhere from 900-2m+ (5k-10k sq.ft). There are other neighborhoods around too which go from the 500s+. All are very pro community and pro family.

Good luck in your decision. I truly hope you find your utopia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-24-2018, 06:14 PM
 
3,539 posts, read 1,513,328 times
Reputation: 2984
The Raleigh/Durham area would be a great choice. They have both a big IT sector and healthcare sector. It's a really family oriented area, it's beautiful, and the cost of living/Purchasing Power is good. Good luck wherever you land!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-25-2018, 07:34 AM
 
105 posts, read 42,691 times
Reputation: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I doubt Mobile would have much in the way of an IT scene. The thing about a small metro like Huntsville is that employment options are just going to be a lot more limited than somewhere like Raleigh.
I've not been to Raleigh and cannot comment. With respect to Huntsville, our IT scene is above average. Our engineering scene is through the roof. With Redstone Arsenal, there are plenty of jobs supporting the Army's Material Command, MDA, and FBI (which is expanding), NASA's Marshal Space Flight Center. Within Cummings Research Park we have Adtran, Hudson Alpha Biotechnology Center, Acclinate Genetics, multiple companies supporting the Arsenal's engineering & IT requirements; Lockheed Martin, Dynetics, Raytheon, Northrop Grumman, Teledyne Brown, Brown & Root, Aerojet Rocketdyne, and a host more. We have manufacturing as well. Of the ones I know about and are more 'famous'; Toyota has an engine plant here, we just landed the Mazda/Toyota small SUV manufacturing, more Redstone support wrt manufacturing to include Boeing, and GE among others.

Check out:
https://cummingsresearchpark.com/dir...us=0&view=list

Manufacturing - cm - Huntsville/Madison County Chamber

We've also been known to play a little football around here too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2019, 11:00 PM
 
376 posts, read 155,667 times
Reputation: 56
Any votes for TX? No state tax and booming economy..is TX weather the biggest drawback compared to NC?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2019, 11:04 PM
 
376 posts, read 155,667 times
Reputation: 56
Are there easy to use comparison tools that show real or close to actual picture for weather throughout the year and other stats that actually help one make the decision about what may be a better choice?

I looked up online and few sites came up but they shows all kinds of info that wasn't helpful or relevant. Anyone has experience using such tools (including CD forums), please let me know. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top