Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2018, 01:04 PM

1,541 posts, read 1,677,278 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean1the1 View Post
CA is definitely more expensive, but for IT, and nursing CA can't be beat average salary for a nurse nationwide is less than $70k, but in CA average nurse makes $102k a year. Don't even get me started on IT.https://nursesalaryguide.net/nurse-salary-by-state/
I just think the quality of life is better in NC than CA. It's absolutely a great spot to visit and explore, but living there, not a chance lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2018, 10:29 PM

514 posts, read 438,516 times
Would you say that applies to all of CA? Granted there are areas that are high cost of living but are there places within CA that give you the weather that so many rave about but without the natural calamities and high cost of living? Someone mentioned Sacramento earlier in the thread as being a good place in CA for our situation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJones17 View Post
I just think the quality of life is better in NC than CA. It's absolutely a great spot to visit and explore, but living there, not a chance lol.

Old 12-09-2018, 10:33 PM

Please tell me more about Sacramento? I heard about San Diego as being a great place but have not heard about Sacramento..in fact I don't know about the geography of CA .. meaning is Eastern CA better than Western CA..what parts of the states to cross off the list because they are not a good bargain in terms of overall cost of living vs best bang for the buck? So in other words, does it make sense to go to move to CA but in the areas what are a good compromise between the cost and otherwise desirable factors (weather, career opportunities, schools for kids etc)
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsaeed View Post
Sacramento has a growing tech scene and plenty of healthcare jobs. You can easily find a brand new home in your price range is many parts of town. Aside from the recent smoke great weather as well.

Old 12-09-2018, 10:41 PM

Can you please elaborate little more about why that's the best area. Was speaking to an acquaintance who lives in the Cary area. He was saying that prices have gone crazy since last 5 years. Are there generally new houses for reasonable prices? Are we talking about 5 bed room house with garage for half a mil?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
The OP's request has the Research Triangle (Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill) written all over it.

Old 12-09-2018, 10:45 PM

You mean if I've full time remote work option then I should move close to research triangle area?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Unless he has f/t remote work on his plate you are absolutely correct.

Old 12-09-2018, 10:51 PM

But doesn't that advantage get eaten by high cost of living?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean1the1 View Post
CA is definitely more expensive, but for IT, and nursing CA can't be beat average salary for a nurse nationwide is less than $70k, but in CA average nurse makes $102k a year. Don't even get me started on IT.https://nursesalaryguide.net/nurse-salary-by-state/

Old 12-09-2018, 10:52 PM

What do you have in mind?
Quote:
Originally Posted by malinadavid View Post
I would recommend someplace more halfway than the usual relocation to FL or TX that many from the Northeast jump at to escape winter. While warm winters may seem nice consider the brutal eight months of heat and humidity that constitutes "summer".

Old 12-09-2018, 11:03 PM

How do these area compare to let say Boston minus the crazy snow, in terms of quality of life, the "educated residents", taxes etc? Looks like there're great colleges/universities in the RTP area.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayAnn246 View Post
That's actually what I was thinking. With the RTP, Duke, and UNC within a close proximity to each other.

I would also say Ann Arbor, MI. Excellent schools, tech companies and University of Michigan hospitals in close radius as well.

Old 12-09-2018, 11:05 PM

Yes, not trying to move to another Boston :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
Michigan has harsh winters and the OP doesnt want harsh winters.

Old 12-23-2018, 01:21 PM

735 posts, read 1,584,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamanewuser View Post
Can you please elaborate little more about why that's the best area. Was speaking to an acquaintance who lives in the Cary area. He was saying that prices have gone crazy since last 5 years. Are there generally new houses for reasonable prices? Are we talking about 5 bed room house with garage for half a mil?
#1: Large tech, bio, and pharma presence which are fighting for skilled tech talent. Large healthcare presence also fighting for talented staff.

#2: Income taxes are low and fixed.

#3: Real estate is crazy cheap for what you get and reo taxes are also crazy low (~1% in Wake County).

#4: Great private schools! (public schools depend on the county you land in)

#5: Family friendly and mountains or ocean are only a few hours drive.

https://www.raleighnc.gov/home/conte...esRaleigh.html

Last edited by warriorfan63; 12-23-2018 at 02:09 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.