U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2018, 06:46 PM

4,477 posts, read 2,659,202 times

Advertisements

Be Proud, where exactly did I "try to guilt people who have strong religious beliefs"?

If it's condescending to point out that you didn't read clearly, so be it. You do this again and again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2018, 12:36 AM

926 posts, read 313,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrishawke View Post
Southern cities are generally more segregated than PNW and the bad parts of town are REALLY bad. You just can't compare the the neighborhoods of South Dallas, or North Charlotte to North or SE Portland and South Seattle.
They are more segregated in the Northeast on average but schools tend to be less segregated are those with smaller groups pf minorities.
Hard to segregate when your number is so small

Old 11-16-2018, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
I don't think this is true.
LOLIts not
Not even close

Old 11-16-2018, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
Be Proud, where exactly did I "try to guilt people who have strong religious beliefs"?

If it's condescending to point out that you didn't read clearly, so be it. You do this again and again.
Just like you and your negativity and condescension are a constant theme.Your tone is all negative ALL the time when ANYTHING about the South comes up.
Clearly I read what you stated very well as many people who even preferred the PNW have taken issue with your statements.
Its certainly within reason and your right to prefer one place over another.
I have no problem why you say you dont like the South even though you admit yourself you used broad generalizations.

Church in the South is a social institution.In many small towns,there is simply not a lot to do and Church fulfilled a good way to connect with the areas citizens.
Its a cultural thing but not meant or taken as prying but rather getting to know your neighbors.
A church can tell a person what part of town they live in or whether they have mutuaal friends,
An invitation which I rarely get unless I go to my parents house which is in a town of 70,000 and even then its not often unless its other African Americans who grew up in the area.
Other than that its just not that common nor is it an insult or prying.Its just being friendly.
Simple as that.

If you are in the PNW then sure ,its not a matter of culture nor does it have the same prominence in the social structure it does in the South,

Usually you have to know the culture of any place you are not familiar with and it makes the experience more enjoyable.
When I lived up North I learned quickly that you just dont "drop by" someones house unannounced but in the South,its considered "neighborly".Letting someone know you were thinking of them

Last edited by Be Proud; 11-16-2018 at 01:02 AM..

Old 11-16-2018, 02:43 AM

The Southeast there is just more to do.We all have our preferences but Im gonna keep it as close to factual as possible and not confrontational as both sides have been by stating which one they prefer. Following it with "not even close" or "dont know why any one could....." or making broad generalization and so on.

Some of y'all(too Southern for you?) talking about urbanity but not even living in the most urban parts of those cities that overall are more urban.
Unless you can really afford to live in the actual city and even then you have small living spaces.

I get it but for me I need my space and concrete jungles no matter what kind of beautiful setting they are in are still concrete jungles.
Cities like Atlanta and Charlotte have trees,shrubbery everywhere.The attention to public spaces like bridges,street capes is newer fresher more appealing.
A couple of cities in the PNW may be more urban but they are not nearly as big as Atlanta and they may still be bigger than cities like Nashville lack an institution like Vanderbuilt or Meharry Medical School or Fisk University which are unique in ways that nothing like them exist in the PNW.
Yes those cities(especially Charlotte) are less urban but lets be real: a urban life can be made as I have done it in Atlanta as well as I have in other more established cities.
People are missing the fact that the Southeast technically includes DC and Baltimore which make this a blow out if people want to mention urbanity like it really matters that much.
Even if you exclude them,they are still closer than any other cities adjacent to the PNW where people have relatively close access to.
There are some much smaller cities that are urban as well like Savannah and Charleston,Greenville,Richmond and some others.

Nice to have choices.
People are just friendly in the South.Its one of the reason people who are not used to it find it refreshing in these days of everybody out for themselves.
Its nice when someone holds a door for you or ask "how are you"

The Southeast has more rich local culture and its varied.A lot more than the PNW.
From Savannah to Atlanta to Richmond,there are a lot of unique local customs.
The food,music ,and history is so vivid,
The history especially.Native American to Revolutionary,Civil Wars and Rights,its just a lot to take in.Many places to visit that are important to history.

Amazing to walk in the steps of Martin Luther King,Thomas Jefferson.FDR,Booker T Washington,WEB Dubose,Nina Simone and its a list that goes on and one through several periods in time.

Sure the weather get hot like much of the country and the bugs unless you are used to them are not fun at all.
But cloudy weather just doesnt me wanting to go out.Sunny days which are many in the South are just wonderful.Due to so much foliage and trees,its very easy to find suitable shade. You wont find as many porches on houses as you do in the South because its a very social aspect of Southern culture.

While Im sure no matter where I live,its just no contest for me as I prefer all the things that can mostly only be found in the South.

Old 11-16-2018, 06:08 AM

14,947 posts, read 31,339,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
It's a "way to have a conversation"? That's a southern thing...it would be considered rude in the Northwest and it's generally not done. For example I don't have the slightest idea whether my closest coworkers are religious. The question would be viewed as prying, with the potential (perceived at least) to influence their opinion of you.

As for whether I'm aware that there's complexity, you're making some big assumptions off a pretty simple post...ironic eh?
As someone who was born and raised in Alabama, I agree with you, I donít like those questions either. Honestly though, I canít even remember the last time someone asked me about church. Most younger people down here donít even attend church anymore.

Old 11-16-2018, 07:31 AM

2,503 posts, read 2,262,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Be Proud View Post
The Southeast there is just more to do.We all have our preferences but Im gonna keep it as close to factual as possible and not confrontational as both sides have been by stating which one they prefer. Following it with "not even close" or "dont know why any one could....." or making broad generalization and so on.

Some of y'all(too Southern for you?) talking about urbanity but not even living in the most urban parts of those cities that overall are more urban.
Unless you can really afford to live in the actual city and even then you have small living spaces.

I get it but for me I need my space and concrete jungles no matter what kind of beautiful setting they are in are still concrete jungles.
Cities like Atlanta and Charlotte have trees,shrubbery everywhere.The attention to public spaces like bridges,street capes is newer fresher more appealing.
A couple of cities in the PNW may be more urban but they are not nearly as big as Atlanta and they may still be bigger than cities like Nashville lack an institution like Vanderbuilt or Meharry Medical School or Fisk University which are unique in ways that nothing like them exist in the PNW.
Yes those cities(especially Charlotte) are less urban but lets be real: a urban life can be made as I have done it in Atlanta as well as I have in other more established cities.
People are missing the fact that the Southeast technically includes DC and Baltimore which make this a blow out if people want to mention urbanity like it really matters that much.
Even if you exclude them,they are still closer than any other cities adjacent to the PNW where people have relatively close access to.
There are some much smaller cities that are urban as well like Savannah and Charleston,Greenville,Richmond and some others.

Nice to have choices.
People are just friendly in the South.Its one of the reason people who are not used to it find it refreshing in these days of everybody out for themselves.
Its nice when someone holds a door for you or ask "how are you"

The Southeast has more rich local culture and its varied.A lot more than the PNW.
From Savannah to Atlanta to Richmond,there are a lot of unique local customs.
The food,music ,and history is so vivid,
The history especially.Native American to Revolutionary,Civil Wars and Rights,its just a lot to take in.Many places to visit that are important to history.

Amazing to walk in the steps of Martin Luther King,Thomas Jefferson.FDR,Booker T Washington,WEB Dubose,Nina Simone and its a list that goes on and one through several periods in time.

Sure the weather get hot like much of the country and the bugs unless you are used to them are not fun at all.
But cloudy weather just doesnt me wanting to go out.Sunny days which are many in the South are just wonderful.Due to so much foliage and trees,its very easy to find suitable shade. You wont find as many porches on houses as you do in the South because its a very social aspect of Southern culture.

While Im sure no matter where I live,its just no contest for me as I prefer all the things that can mostly only be found in the South.
No sorry but DC is not SE and I didnt lump it in with the SE when I voted. Don't need to use DC when its convenient for you. Not one forumer from DC on CD has yet to claim being Southern. If DC was Southern in the psyche of regular Americans then Nova winning HQ2 would be touted as win for the South but you don't hear any of that do you?

Last edited by Ebck120; 11-16-2018 at 08:35 AM..

Old 11-16-2018, 09:21 AM

4,839 posts, read 2,973,256 times
Quote:
LOLIts not
Not even close
Yep. I think the southern burbs are alot cheaper than Seattle burbs.

Old 11-16-2018, 09:29 AM

4,477 posts, read 2,659,202 times
Quote:
Just like you and your negativity and condescension are a constant theme.Your tone is all negative ALL the time when ANYTHING about the South comes up.
Let's hear an example...or is this the typical be proud accuse-then-nothing?

My last post about the South was about Atlanta having a good plan for HQ2.

Otherwise I've said stuff like above-grade garages aren't urban. Again, if that's condescending, or you don't know the difference between opinion and insult, that's you not reading well.

Old 11-16-2018, 10:05 AM

899 posts, read 764,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
No sorry but DC is not SE and I didnt lump it in with the SE when I voted. Don't need to use DC when its convenient for you. Not one forumer from DC on CD has yet to claim being Southern. If DC was Southern in the psyche of regular Americans then Nova winning HQ2 would be touted as win for the South but you don't hear any of that do you?
All signs (demographics, dialect, architecture, hardiness zone) point to Washington as a Southern city. The feds consider it southern. Southern Living magazine considers it southern. I understand and accept that on CD it isn’t considered southern but the folks on these message boards are not the authority on such matters.

BTW, Amazon chose Arlington County. The county is named after Rober E Lee’s plantation. Arlington House sits above Arlington Cemetary. The North buried their dead in his rose garden while he was away, which was pretty f’ing rad and now the country has a beautiful cemetery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or