U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 11-19-2018, 07:37 AM
 
2,507 posts, read 2,262,328 times
Reputation: 1820

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Be Proud View Post
No Im not.You are or rather you dont want to hear what Im saying.
The very definition explains "geographical" aspects of DC to me,as well as its not just one reason why many (including me) see it as not "Southern" in a traditional sense but with Southern elements that are plain to see by anyone from the South.

You seem to have such an aversion to even consider basic facts regarding common history of the South including but not limited to things like Jim Crow

Even Gogo Music which is uniquely a DC and regional invention has The God-father of Go-go" Chuck Brown who haled from North Carolina.
You talk about its "logical" but its logical that if so many residents as a matter of factual events have come for decades came from largely one region then it seems you cant logically deny the influences.
Seems you and others have no issue accepting that DC has Northern cues as well but is not compltey Northern either

DC has all the things the rest of the South has:bugs,very humid hot weather,lush hilly and subtropical landscapes a heavy concentration of mostly blacks who trace there ancestry to the South,In other words,GEORGRAPHY as by the definition YOU provided



Of course they came from he South.The Deep South.
As I already posted in my original post that in regards to today's culture, DC has little in connection with the South.

I never denied history... What you're saying isn't anything new, it has all been brought up before. Almost every map that shows any sort of cultural delineation today carves out DC/Nova and pushes them in with areas north. You all vs. Yall map is a fun one along with transitions of religion etc... also, DC areas flora is quite similar to Philadelphia. You can think of DC as south if you'd like but theres very little of the south remaining here and noone here or on the media claims the area or it's residents to be southern.

Last edited by Ebck120; 11-19-2018 at 08:10 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-20-2018, 12:20 AM
 
Location: Tacoma
31 posts, read 22,799 times
Reputation: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by march2 View Post
With the rise of and growing influence of Antifa in the PNW, that is very troublesome. Diversity of Thought doesn't seem welcomed in a general sense. My wife's Aunt is very Liberal, gay, and lives just outside of Seattle. Even she says she has noticed and is very horrified at how views not Liberal are not tolerated very well at all. As a Classical Liberal, it is very concerning to her. I've lived in the South almost my whole life and Aunt Sue visits often and loves it here. So, the comment that mhays25 made out of nowhere sort of sums up some of the biases that so exist in the PNW. Clearly, that's not so in all cases. There are plenty of people there who are awesome. I've experienced it. But I have been to the Southeast and PNW enough (as has my wife's aunt and compared experiences) to know that, as of now, overall tolerance and live-let-live is more widespread in the South than in PNW. Go on Youtube and see how Portland is pretty much embraces Antifa as they openly abuse local citizens nearly unabade.
As someone who grew up in Alabama and has spent the last decade in WA, I'm going to disagree. Specifically with "live-let-live is more widespread in the South than in PNW". You used Seattle and Portland in every example. That's like forming your argument against the SE on Atlanta, New Orleans, and Houston.

"Live and let live" is a pretty core ethos in the PNW, outside of the aforementioned cities and a few college towns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-20-2018, 03:30 AM
 
926 posts, read 313,015 times
Reputation: 438
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
As I already posted in my original post that in regards to today's culture, DC has little in connection with the South.

I never denied history... What you're saying isn't anything new, it has all been brought up before. Almost every map that shows any sort of cultural delineation today carves out DC/Nova and pushes them in with areas north. You all vs. Yall map is a fun one along with transitions of religion etc... also, DC areas flora is quite similar to Philadelphia. You can think of DC as south if you'd like but theres very little of the south remaining here and noone here or on the media claims the area or it's residents to be southern.
Im just saying there are traces of Southern identity in DC.That does not equal to it being Southern.I only said DC is in the South and you vehemently objected .I think there is room in the middle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-20-2018, 08:01 AM
 
Location: US
555 posts, read 456,915 times
Reputation: 535
Anything south of the Mason Dixon Line IS the South. This includes DC, Virginia AND Maryland!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_United_States
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-20-2018, 08:37 AM
 
Location: Lakewood OH
21,699 posts, read 23,648,620 times
Reputation: 35449
Quote:
Originally Posted by Be Proud View Post
I try to avoid dealing with you because it always winds up being a nasty exchange of words but here again as usual its YOU and you condescending tone that turns what could be a normal exchange of ideas and different ways of thinking into a nasty exchange of words.Its exhausting but you are so wrong.
You seem to go out of your way to just be nasty and hateful.

Im far from religious but I respect it as means to to good worksl and for the people it helps in hard times.
Like anything,there are negative effects of it too.
Many of those negatives are why Im not a church going person like I was growing up.

However I think as equally as those people who push religion on people exist,its even worse with people like you who try to guilt people who have strong religious beliefs.
Your open disdain is no different.Its condescending..

Its ok if that bothers you but your wording is so condescending you open yourself up for warranted attacks.

Im serious when i say can you find a better way to not be so offending or is that what You feel you have t do?
I really want to know.Im not being sarcastic.I just think it would get exhausting to be so combative on a forum with people you dont know/Perhaps you like this?
Yes he says he is not judgmental or bigoted. Okay, I'll take his word for it. But he comes across that way which is why I dropped out of the conversation.

Also, finding argument with some else's opinion is one thing, arguing about the other person's actual experience is ridiculous unless they were right there to witness that experience. When I feel someone is arguing from that point of view, am not interested in having that type of discussion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-20-2018, 10:11 AM
 
Location: Georgia
3,829 posts, read 1,413,133 times
Reputation: 2889
As a lifelong SE resident, I'd love to try the Pacific NW due to the natural beauty. However, I don't wish to live in a "blue" state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-20-2018, 10:54 AM
 
4,477 posts, read 2,659,202 times
Reputation: 4083
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Yes he says he is not judgmental or bigoted. Okay, I'll take his word for it. But he comes across that way which is why I dropped out of the conversation.

Also, finding argument with some else's opinion is one thing, arguing about the other person's actual experience is ridiculous unless they were right there to witness that experience. When I feel someone is arguing from that point of view, am not interested in having that type of discussion.
Not wanting to be drawn into religious debates with new acquaintances...that's bigoted? We live in very different worlds!

Judging someone for who they are is bigoted, but nobody said that. Not wanting to be pried into isn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2018, 07:32 AM
 
Location: DFW
6,795 posts, read 11,761,346 times
Reputation: 5148
PNW, but by a sliver.

The overall climate quality of both areas are equal in my opinion - cloudy most of the year in the PNW vs hot humid summers in the SE.

Economic opportunities may abound more in the SE but Seattle is one of the biggest hubs for Machine Learning and Data Science jobs, my area of work although Atlanta is also getting there. The SE still wins in COL but I find my personality more compatible with urban PNW culture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2018, 10:58 AM
 
Location: Seattle
408 posts, read 245,086 times
Reputation: 987
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ_Yellowhammer View Post
As someone who grew up in Alabama and has spent the last decade in WA, I'm going to disagree. Specifically with "live-let-live is more widespread in the South than in PNW". You used Seattle and Portland in every example. That's like forming your argument against the SE on Atlanta, New Orleans, and Houston.

"Live and let live" is a pretty core ethos in the PNW, outside of the aforementioned cities and a few college towns.
Agreed on this. Seattle and Portland tend to be more doctrinaire than the smaller places in the PNW. I think because they attract the more far left types. I'm a gay man and I agree with most of the politics in Seattle- and I still think the politics here are shrill and haranguing most of the time to anyone who doesn't agree. This currently includes most of the Seattle City Council. I just tune those people out. I figure they are the left-wing equivalent of super-conservative Christians in the South. Most people are fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2018, 11:20 AM
 
904 posts, read 911,562 times
Reputation: 799
As a person of color and native of the Northeast, the Southeast is way more appealing to me than the PNW. More amenities, better suited for my career, close to home, direct flights to places I frequent, similar/same culture, etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
I dont think anyone said that everyone is religious.. it's more the idea of the region as a whole being more religious thus religion being more prominent in daily dialogue and life..... you cant deny that the SE is the most religious region in the country, plus with the recent political climate and the Southern Baptist and Evagelical ties to the GOP, religion and the South are more intertwined as of late. Think about how many political leaders from the South have been on TV lately talking about God this or the bible that or even the Kim Davis debacle with refusing to issue marriage licenses to a gay couple based on her religious belief.

https://www.citylab.com/equity/2013/...ro-areas/5180/
This is interesting. Is that dark blue metro in the NE, Philadelphia?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top