U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2018, 03:36 PM

5,449 posts, read 2,289,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
I'd rather be culturally expected to recycle than culturally expected to be religious.

Wow. I did expect to see some lazy stereotypes when I opened this thread, but not quite so quickly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2018, 04:42 PM

2,804 posts, read 1,295,354 times
PNW. Better scenery and weather. The cities are more uban and the wilderness is more wild. I also don't like the protestanty, baptisty culture that you get in the south. Oh, also better beer and more of it.

Old 11-09-2018, 08:29 PM

21,699 posts, read 23,648,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
Wow. I did expect to see some lazy stereotypes when I opened this thread, but not quite so quickly.
I just laughed at the foolishness. Old stereotypes die hard.

Old 11-09-2018, 08:33 PM

18,081 posts, read 22,914,959 times
I personally prefer the culture in the west, and I hate the humidity and the bugs in the south.

As much as I'd rather not have to deal with PNW weather ever again, I'd take it in a heartbeat over living in the south ever again.

Old 11-09-2018, 09:58 PM
_OT

2,141 posts, read 1,517,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
PNW. Better scenery and weather. The cities are more uban and the wilderness is more wild. I also don't like the protestanty, baptisty culture that you get in the south. Oh, also better beer and more of it.
I don't like the fact that there's no culture in the PNW period, lol. Joking, but that leads to my answer.

The Cultures, and the Variety.

If we're including Georgia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Alabama, Florida, and Tennessee? I don't see how it's close imo. I like to stay in the loop, stay on the go. Atlanta this weekend, and New Orleans the next.

I couldn't imagine just staying in Seattle and Portland for most of the year.

Old 11-09-2018, 10:55 PM

4,477 posts, read 2,659,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
And yet I keep hearing about prayers before football games, people being asked about religion at work (anecdotally), and of course a lot of state policy that would never fly on the West Coast.

At the policy level, it doesn't matter that 40% or 45% don't vote that way, or that the core cities are more normal. They're not in power in those states, so a lot of disturbing religious-type stuff happens.

Old 11-09-2018, 11:07 PM

1,826 posts, read 1,248,326 times
Pacific Northwest. I don't know why, but Seattle, which I used to visit on month long vacations annually, qlways gave me a very Texas/DFW vibe.

Old 11-09-2018, 11:13 PM

12,245 posts, read 17,982,982 times
PNW due to the breathtaking beauty and cooler weather. And the Seahawks of course
But I wouldn't mind living in the southeast either.

Old 11-09-2018, 11:51 PM

17,651 posts, read 4,055,214 times
The South because its more Christian and has a better climate for me.

Old 11-10-2018, 07:28 AM

2,804 posts, read 1,295,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _OT View Post
I don't like the fact that there's no culture in the PNW period, lol. Joking, but that leads to my answer.

The Cultures, and the Variety.

If we're including Georgia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Alabama, Florida, and Tennessee? I don't see how it's close imo. I like to stay in the loop, stay on the go. Atlanta this weekend, and New Orleans the next.

I couldn't imagine just staying in Seattle and Portland for most of the year.

You wouldn't, there are tons of wonderful cities and towns up and down the cascades and up and down the Oregon (and Washington) Coast. IMO it's the best Coastline in the country. I agree that the South offers more towns in general, and more midsized cities in particular, but being in the PNW doesn't just religate you to Portland and Seattle.

Plus again, NOLA aside, Seattle and Portland are better, more urban big cities than any of the other cities in the south (I'm not counting Miami as the south for the sake of argument). Take Atlanta, it's huge, but Portland has better Urban form and is more liveable.

On top of that if you like the outdoors, there is no comparison, the PNW blows the south out of the water with better parks, mountains, a more pristine environment and less people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or