U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2018, 09:29 AM

2,508 posts, read 2,270,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Be Proud View Post
LOL
yep it is all well and good,haha
That should tell you everything about REALITY.
And YET the Southeast is STILL growing much faster than any state in the PNW.So quality of life or not,it only matters to those who want plain and simple.Nothing wrong with that but life for many people cannot be determined by whats on a list.
I guess it matters to people like you and CD but not in the real world so much

What is the PNW known for internationally or Nationally?
Adversity breeds creativity>Every well known civilization in the world came out of adversity.No one remembers places with little to no history or adversity.

Take for example New Orleans.People love that city and would move there many tomes over more places with better amenities even though its got high crime and poverty

I personally would be miserable in the PNW and my quality of life would be worse.
People are moving to PNW as well... and not for cheaper living like most of the SE.

The fact that we're comparing a region with basically two major cities with the entire SE which is vastly larger and you still have a bunch of folks stating PNW as their preference goes to show the SE, no matter the variable, has alot of PR work to do.

All 3 of the PNW states (Assuming we're limiting it to Washington, Oregon and Idaho) make it to the top 15, whereas most of the South falls in the bottom half. I can pull more lists but the general storyline is the same throughout.
https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/rankings

Last edited by Ebck120; 12-06-2018 at 10:00 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2018, 10:21 AM

926 posts, read 314,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
People are moving to PNW as well... and not for cheaper living like most of the SE.

The fact that we're comparing a region with basically two major cities with the entire SE which is vastly larger and you still have a bunch of folks stating PNW as their preference goes to show the SE, no matter the variable, has alot of PR work to do.

All 3 of the PNW states (Assuming we're limiting it to Washington, Oregon and Idaho make it to the top 15, whereas most of the South falls in the bottom half. I can pull more lists but the general storyline is the same throughout.
https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/rankings
LOL
Wow.There it is.I knew it would come out sooner or later,.
Thanks for the info.Im sure no one knew this until you brought it up.

Those 3 states are equal in size of the Southeast if not bigger so they should have the population since they are so desirable.

If you think there is an argument from me about the bad sides of the South then keep moving.Its only to make you feel good.
I choose the South over and over again.It being "cheap" is not really a good argument.Only Seattle and Portland are expensive.Other than that its not really a good argument about cheap.Even if I accept that it still a good reason.
Mississippi is cheap but people are not flocking there are they?
There is a limit that people will do for cheap.Funny how you think climate,topography or even culture has no reason why people would move also.Just looking for a cheap jab instead of responding to what I said.

Sure.the South has terrible schools,high crime,more environmental issues eytc. I get why some people would choose to live in the PNW.
If I were Asian or white,Id prefer it also.

Not saying that's all who would prefer either areas just for race or culture but its evident that those are the groups most attracted to the PNW by the numbers.
Where as in the Southeast,it more well rounded.

Look at the cities of Nashville,Miami,Memphis,Atlanta,,St. Petesburgh ,Orlando or smaller cities like Macon,GA,Bristol and ,Gatlinburg,Louisville KY,Richmond,Asheville NC
The cultural and historical aspects of these places have no equal in the PNW.
The South is more diverse and usually diversity creates a lot more issues but it also creates more culture and life experiences.
None of the Southeastern states are near the bottom in terms of growth rate.In fact all of them rank in the top .
Three of them are the most populous in the top 10

Last edited by Be Proud; 12-06-2018 at 10:29 AM..

Old 12-06-2018, 10:27 AM

Quote:
LOL
Wow.There it is.I knew it would come out sooner or later,.
Thanks for the info.Im sure no one knew this until you brought it up.

Those 3 states are equal in size of the Southeast if not bigger so they should have the population since they are so desirable.

If you think there is an argument from me about the bad sides of the South then keep moving.Its only to make you feel good.
I choose the South over and over again.It being "cheap" is not really a good argument.Only Seattle and Portland are expensive.Other than that its not really a good argument about cheap.Even if I accept that it still a good reason.
Mississippi is cheap but people are not flocking there are they?
There is a limit that people will do for cheap.Funny how you think climate,topography or even culture has no reason why people would move also.Just looking for a cheap jab instead of responding to what I said.

Sure.the South has terrible schools,high crime,more environmental issues eytc. I get why some people would choose to live in the PNW.
If I were Asian or white,Id prefer it also.

Not saying that's all who would prefer either areas just for race or culture but its evident that those are the groups most attracted to the PNW by the numbers.
Where as in the Southeast,it more well rounded.

Look at the cities of Nashville,Miami,Memphis,Atlanta,,St. Petesburgh ,Orlando or smaller cities like Macon,GA,Bristol and ,Gatlinburg,Louisville KY,Richmond,Asheville NC
The South is more diverse and usually diversity creates a lot more issues but it also creates more culture and life experiences.
None of the Southeastern states are near the botom in terms of growth rate.In fact all of them rank in the top .
Three of them are the most populous in the top 10
Cool beans.. I think we're finally on the same page

Old 12-06-2018, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Cool beans.. I think we're finally on the same page
No.You thought you were getting under my skin but when you like something and you are secure in your decisions,it not gonna bother you even if they make valid points.
Problem is thats all people want to focus on is the negative.There is not one single thing that attracts me to the PNW but its not as great for all people and that its a glaring thing people like to gloss over.
So back to your snide comment earlier as how much more there is to see and do had absolutely nothing to do with the other issues you brought up.
Just showed even more that I was right otherwise you would have countered with places of equal interest as I and others did.
So if you only look at quality of life then thse who do will go with PNW.
Most don't think this way.

As I said before,its The South so people love to take swipes at it.But when yu have more thn haf the black population living here already and more comingalong with other groups,try as you might,you cant discredit it too much.

Old 12-06-2018, 11:09 AM

Quote:
No.You thought you were getting under my skin but when you like something and you are secure in your decisions,it not gonna bother you even if they make valid points.
Problem is thats all people want to focus on is the negative.There is not one single thing that attracts me to the PNW but its not as great for all people and that its a glaring thing people like to gloss over.
So back to your snide comment earlier as how much more there is to see and do had absolutely nothing to do with the other issues you brought up.
Just showed even more that I was right otherwise you would have countered with places of equal interest as I and others did.
Most don't think this way.

As I said before,its The South so people love to take swipes at it.But when yu have more thn haf the black population living here already and more comingalong with other groups,try as you might,you cant discredit it too much.
Cool

Quality of life:
"the standard of health, comfort, and happiness experienced by an individual or group."

I'm Sold!

Old 12-06-2018, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Cool

Quality of life:
"the standard of health, comfort, and happiness experienced by an individual or group."

I'm Sold!
Yes.We agree.I too am sold!

Old 12-06-2018, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Yes.We agree.I too am sold!
Totes!

Quote:

Old 12-06-2018, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Totes!
lol
Must be some PNW humor

Old 12-06-2018, 12:47 PM

5,128 posts, read 5,843,875 times
I have worked at home for a long time, so I could live anywhere.

I chose the Appalachian mountains, so I'm not lacking in scenery here in the south. The crime rate where I live is about as low as it gets in the U.S. I only lock my doors out of habit, rather than necessity. Eventually, I am moving to an area of the Appalachians that is the only temperate rain forest in the east, so even that is accessible here. Green moss forever.

I thought about living in the PNW. As beautiful as it is, it won't give me more of what I like, and it will give me a lot of what I don't like. Plus, it's not more beautiful than where I already am. It's only the thin strip on the PNW coast that I find beautiful. The inland areas are okay.

I love rain, but not quite as many gloomy sky days as the PNW gets. I know myself, and I'd want to slit my wrists after a while. I like my more variable weather. I don't really like seafood, so more of it isn't a plus for me. As much as I love evergreen trees, I prefer the mix of evergreen and deciduous trees in the Appalachians and the new spring green and fall colors they give. Plus, an overabundance of evergreens looks dark and gloomy to me. I also love the unique purple-blue you see in the distant mountains here.

We actually have more waterfalls in the Appalachians where I am, and the area I'm moving to is waterfall heaven - there are hundreds of them. I can build a great house overlooking incredible scenery for the price of a "nothing special" house in a suburb in the PNW. I can get organic and local food. People here are a lot more friendly.

I can easily split my time between the mountains and Destin, FL where the beaches are sugar white quartz and the waters are clear, gorgeous blue-green, and WARM. I love warm waters.

I can easily spend time in charming historic places like Charleston. I will be equal distance from funky Asheville, NC and Greenville, SC, which has a fun downtown with a waterfall and park system snaking through the middle of it. And then there are all the small Main Street towns scattered around.

I don't fall neatly into a conservative or liberal mindset, because it depends on the issue. However, I don't like how extreme so many people are on the west coast about so many things. I would be exhausted by that.

Lastly, I don't care for the snobbery and contempt so many west coasters have for the south, especially when they've never been here or only went to one place. Why would I want to live around people with that attitude?

I read a blog written by a lady who moved from California to Franklin, TN. She did a post on the stupid questions Californians asked about her new home - they wanted to know if you could watch the Academy Awards in TN, if you could get normal food in TN, if you could get normal nail polish colors in TN, and if she still had all her teeth. Never mind that she was living in one of the most affluent towns in the entire country. Her own mother sat in silence as they drove around Franklin and then said, "Why, this place is quite civilized!"

And this is no exaggeration, because I've worked with Californians and I've encountered this weird West Coast ignorance/snobbery a million times. One insufferable Californian I worked with when I lived in Texas, used to say, "You don't have an ocean, you have a Gulf" to Texans. She was convinced the entire gulf looked like the Texas Gulf. Too stupid to do some research, which would have shown her that the entire coast from Alabama and all the way down the Florida west coast has some of the most beautiful beaches you could ask for. Not to mention the world-famous Mexican beaches also on the Gulf. The not-so-great part of the Gulf is relatively small compared to the greater beautiful part.

There's an Alabama guy on City-Data who flew to a wedding in California attended by people in the film industry, only to have guests surmise that he must have been SO EXCITED TO GET ON A PLANE! Never mind that he's routinely flown on many planes in his life. He has a professional job, he isn't poor and we have airports. Way too many west coasters fall back on lazy stereotypes, which shows they are not using their minds at all to understand how diverse the south actually is - including socioeconomically and politically.

I was checking out of the grocery store the other day, and something prompted the cashier to ask the couple ahead of me where they were from. They were from California and had just moved here to the mountains. They spoke with such reverence at finding themselves surrounded by such peace, beauty, and friendliness. It seemed like they didn't know it existed before they got here.

Yeah, this is a rant, but honestly, too many west coasters need to get a grip on their snobbery. Go ahead and prefer your PNW. Nothing wrong with it, but also quit judging what you don't understand. I will vacation in the PNW and enjoy it, but never live there.

Old 12-06-2018, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
I have worked at home for a long time, so I could live anywhere.

I chose the Appalachian mountains, so I'm not lacking in scenery here in the south. The crime rate where I live is about as low as it gets in the U.S. I only lock my doors out of habit, rather than necessity. Eventually, I am moving to an area of the Appalachians that is the only temperate rain forest in the east, so even that is accessible here. Green moss forever.

I thought about living in the PNW. As beautiful as it is, it won't give me more of what I like, and it will give me a lot of what I don't like. Plus, it's not more beautiful than where I already am. It's only the thin strip on the PNW coast that I find beautiful. The inland areas are okay.

I love rain, but not quite as many gloomy sky days as the PNW gets. I know myself, and I'd want to slit my wrists after a while. I like my more variable weather. I don't really like seafood, so more of it isn't a plus for me. As much as I love evergreen trees, I prefer the mix of evergreen and deciduous trees in the Appalachians and the new spring green and fall colors they give. Plus, an overabundance of evergreens looks dark and gloomy to me. I also love the unique purple-blue you see in the distant mountains here.

We actually have more waterfalls in the Appalachians where I am, and the area I'm moving to is waterfall heaven - there are hundreds of them. I can build a great house overlooking incredible scenery for the price of a "nothing special" house in a suburb in the PNW. I can get organic and local food. People here are a lot more friendly.

I can easily split my time between the mountains and Destin, FL where the beaches are sugar white quartz and the waters are clear, gorgeous blue-green, and WARM. I love warm waters.

I can easily spend time in charming historic places like Charleston. I will be equal distance from funky Asheville, NC and Greenville, SC, which has a fun downtown with a waterfall and park system snaking through the middle of it. And then there are all the small Main Street towns scattered around.

I don't fall neatly into a conservative or liberal mindset, because it depends on the issue. However, I don't like how extreme so many people are on the west coast about so many things. I would be exhausted by that.

Lastly, I don't care for the snobbery and contempt so many west coasters have for the south, especially when they've never been here or only went to one place. Why would I want to live around people with that attitude?

I read a blog written by a lady who moved from California to Franklin, TN. She did a post on the stupid questions Californians asked about her new home - they wanted to know if you could watch the Academy Awards in TN, if you could get normal food in TN, if you could get normal nail polish colors in TN, and if she still had all her teeth. Never mind that she was living in one of the most affluent towns in the entire country. Her own mother sat in silence as they drove around Franklin and then said, "Why, this place is quite civilized!"

And this is no exaggeration, because I've worked with Californians and I've encountered this weird West Coast ignorance/snobbery a million times. One insufferable Californian I worked with when I lived in Texas, used to say, "You don't have an ocean, you have a Gulf" to Texans. She was convinced the entire gulf looked like the Texas Gulf. Too stupid to do some research, which would have shown her that the entire coast from Alabama and all the way down the Florida west coast has some of the most beautiful beaches you could ask for. Not to mention the world-famous Mexican beaches also on the Gulf. The not-so-great part of the Gulf is relatively small compared to the greater beautiful part.

There's an Alabama guy on City-Data who flew to a wedding in California attended by people in the film industry, only to have guests surmise that he must have been SO EXCITED TO GET ON A PLANE! Never mind that he's routinely flown on many planes in his life. He has a professional job, he isn't poor and we have airports. Way too many west coasters fall back on lazy stereotypes, which shows they are not using their minds at all to understand how diverse the south actually is - including socioeconomically and politically.

I was checking out of the grocery store the other day, and something prompted the cashier to ask the couple ahead of me where they were from. They were from California and had just moved here to the mountains. They spoke with such reverence at finding themselves surrounded by such peace, beauty, and friendliness. It seemed like they didn't know it existed before they got here.

Yeah, this is a rant, but honestly, too many west coasters need to get a grip on their snobbery. Go ahead and prefer your PNW. Nothing wrong with it, but also quit judging what you don't understand. I will vacation in the PNW and enjoy it, but never live there.
I enjoyed reading your comment. What I don't get is that you're lumping all west coasters into one pot and saying they all have some sort of "ignorance/snobbery" and you assume all west coasters "fall back on lazy stereotypes" and use a few personal experiences as your reasoning to why all west coasters are the same....

Unless I'm reading this incorrectly, aren't you doing exactly what you are stating you hate that all west coasters do?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or