U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 12-06-2018, 01:07 PM
 
5,128 posts, read 5,845,108 times
Reputation: 8396

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post

I enjoyed reading your comment. What I don't get is that you're lumping all west coasters into one pot and saying they all have some sort of "ignorance/snobbery" and you assume all west coasters "fall back on lazy stereotypes" and use a few personal experiences as your reasoning to why all west coasters are the same....

Unless I'm reading this incorrectly, aren't you doing exactly what you are stating you hate that all west coasters do?
"Yeah, this is a rant, but honestly, too many west coasters need to get a grip on their snobbery. Go ahead and prefer your PNW. Nothing wrong with it, but also quit judging what you don't understand. I will vacation in the PNW and enjoy it, but never live there."

Please point me to where I said "ALL" west coasters.

I said TOO MANY of them are like this.

We can still be friends, Ebck. It's not too late. Just as soon as you admit you read something that wasn't there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-06-2018, 01:16 PM
 
2,509 posts, read 2,272,883 times
Reputation: 1830
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
"Yeah, this is a rant, but honestly, too many west coasters need to get a grip on their snobbery. Go ahead and prefer your PNW. Nothing wrong with it, but also quit judging what you don't understand. I will vacation in the PNW and enjoy it, but never live there."

Please point me to where I said "ALL" west coasters.

I said TOO MANY of them are like this.

We can still be friends, Ebck. It's not too late. Just as soon as you admit you read something that wasn't there.
lol, like I said, I could've read it incorrectly. It sounded like you were judging all or a vast majority of west coasters.

I have lived in the SE and traveled all throughout the region and from my experience the SE does fall behind in numerous qualities that I find to be of value. I too have many personal experiences that could showcase the backward mindedness, unhealthy lifestyles and regressive idiocy of some of the SE but I really couldn't go as far as stating that "too many" southeasters are like this. Perhaps I can say a vast sum is this way?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-06-2018, 01:42 PM
 
5,128 posts, read 5,845,108 times
Reputation: 8396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post

lol, like I said, I could've read it incorrectly. It sounded like you were judging all or a vast majority of west coasters.

I have lived in the SE and traveled all throughout the region and from my experience the SE does fall behind in numerous qualities that I find to be of value. I too have many personal experiences that could showcase the backward mindedness, unhealthy lifestyles and regressive idiocy of some of the SE but I really couldn't go as far as stating that "too many" southeasters are like this. Perhaps I can say a vast sum is this way?
Certain places. As far as a whole state, Mississippi comes to mind. There's an old phrase that goes, "Thank God for Mississippi." The joke is that in all the lists ranking states for anything, Mississippi always comes in dead last. So, if your state ranks low on some metric, Mississippi will always be lower, leading to the exclamation, "Thank GOD for Mississippi"

The area of the Appalachians where I live is a mix of locals and retirees, and some Internet workers like me. Some of the locals show evidence of having lived isolated lives, and are 20 years behind on certain attitudes. Even Catholics are somewhat exotic to them. It wasn't so long ago that there was only one road out.

But even here, where you find locals who grew up in relative isolation, you'd be making a mistake to assume they are all the same. What is interesting, is that after being here for a long time, you really start to notice the benefits - Appalachian locals are the least busybody people on this planet.

If you ever want to feel the sense of freedom that comes with not being judged, these are your people. They will also survive the apocalypse because nearly every one of them grows their own food and hunts for deer and turkey in the forests.

The Appalachian area I'm moving to is VERY upscale. It's where the movers and shakers of the South go to their second homes. A tiny town with Wine Spectator restaurants and luxury shopping in the wilderness. It's a better location for me for many reasons, but I also know I will be giving up something. I will have to think harder about what I look like when I leave the house.

Even here, we do dress up for nice restaurants, but I will miss the luxury of not having to be too concerned day-to-day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-06-2018, 01:49 PM
 
2,509 posts, read 2,272,883 times
Reputation: 1830
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
Certain places. As far as a whole state, Mississippi comes to mind. There's an old phrase that goes, "Thank God for Mississippi." The joke is that in all the lists ranking states for anything, Mississippi always comes in dead last. So, if your state ranks low on some metric, Mississippi will always be lower, leading to the exclamation, "Thank GOD for Mississippi"

The area of the Appalachians where I live in a mix of locals and retirees, and some people who work at home like me. Some of the locals show evidence of having lived isolated lives, and are 20 years behind on certain attitudes. Even Catholics are somewhat exotic to them. It wasn't so long ago that there was only one road out.

But even here, where you find locals who grew up in relative isolation, you'd be making a mistake to assume they are all the same. What is interesting, is that after being here for a long time, you really start to notice the benefits - Appalachian locals are the least busybody people on this planet.

If you ever want to feel the sense of freedom that comes with not being judged, these are your people. They will also survive the apocalypse because nearly every one of them grows their own food and hunts for deer and turkey in the forests. But overall as a region the SE is the least desirable to me as a region from personal desires and experience. I'll enjoy visiting but won't be living there again.

The Appalachian area I'm moving to is VERY upscale. It's where the movers and shakers of the South go to their second homes. A tiny town with Wine Spectator restaurants and luxury shopping in the wilderness. It's a better location for me for many reasons, but I also know I will be giving up something. I will have to think harder about what I look like when I leave the house.

Even here, we do dress up for nice restaurants, but I will miss the luxury of not having to be too concerned day-to-day.
I agree with everything you say. I spend half my time in Charlottesville which is technically an Appalachian city and It's quite cosmopolitan with lots of diversity and options. Perhaps the university is the reason for this but you also have Ashville with no major university influencing it's local culture.

Last edited by Ebck120; 12-06-2018 at 02:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-06-2018, 01:57 PM
 
5,128 posts, read 5,845,108 times
Reputation: 8396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post

I agree with everything you say. I spend half my time in Charlottesville which is technically an Appalachian city and It's quite cosmopolitan with lots of diversity and options. Perhaps the university is the reason for this but you also have Asheville with no major university influencing it's local culture.
I thought about living in Charlottesville too!

I like the influence of a university, but I didn't want to be so surrounded by college kids. Asheville has a smaller university.

Ultimately, I've gotten so used to living in a tiny town, that I didn't want to give it up. Moving to an upscale one will just give me better restaurants and shopping, without giving up the wilderness. Also, I will be at a higher altitude that will give me summers in the 70s.

Asheville has become quite busy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-06-2018, 02:02 PM
 
5,128 posts, read 5,845,108 times
Reputation: 8396
This is my Appalachian Dream. There is a large lake where I am now, and this lake below is where I'm going.


Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-06-2018, 02:05 PM
 
2,509 posts, read 2,272,883 times
Reputation: 1830
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
This is my Appalachian Dream. There is a large lake where I am now, and this lake below is where I'm going.

Looks great! I'm a city person but the lake looks like a nice getaway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-06-2018, 02:15 PM
 
5,128 posts, read 5,845,108 times
Reputation: 8396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post

Looks great! I'm a city person but the lake looks like a nice getaway.
I live my whole life as a getaway. Asheville, Greenville, Charleston, are my version of "getaways". And then I have to leave. I love small-to-medium interesting cities in doses.

But I grew up in Miami and lived in Dallas for many (miserable) years. I'm done. I'm toast.

I'd like to operate some vacation rentals on the side.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-06-2018, 03:56 PM
 
5,128 posts, read 5,845,108 times
Reputation: 8396
Oh, I thought of one other thing.

We get the most spectacular cloud formations here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-06-2018, 09:19 PM
 
1,900 posts, read 830,113 times
Reputation: 1610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Be Proud View Post
Still waiting on that quote where I said this.Otherwise stop being so disingenuous
.

So when you call others arrogant or tell them to stay where they are, when they have a different opinion then yours, you do that because you accept their opinion and don't have a problem with it. Got you!


Talking about disingenuous... again you should look in the mirror.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top