U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2018, 07:29 AM

2,804 posts, read 1,295,354 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parhe View Post
Pacific Northwest. I don't know why, but Seattle, which I used to visit on month long vacations annually, qlways gave me a very Texas/DFW vibe.
I don't really see the similarity, and I grew up visiting Seattle as the regional "Big City"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2018, 07:53 AM

438 posts, read 161,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parhe View Post
Pacific Northwest. I don't know why, but Seattle, which I used to visit on month long vacations annually, qlways gave me a very Texas/DFW vibe.
That's the 1st time I've heard that

Old 11-10-2018, 08:17 AM

1,826 posts, read 1,248,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
I don't really see the similarity, and I grew up visiting Seattle as the regional "Big City"
For me it was mostly the people. Maybe it is influenced by the specific parts I qm familiar with? I grew up around Carrollton/Lewisville/West Plano/North Dallas and, when I visit, it would mostly be in Kent/Federal Way/Bellevue/Everett, where I have a lot of family. Or I suppose American suburban life is the same everywhere, although I did not get the same vibes in suburban San Francisco, Los Angeles, or Boston.

Old 11-10-2018, 08:53 AM

23,035 posts, read 34,995,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krosser100 View Post
And probably the last.

Old 11-10-2018, 09:09 AM
_OT

2,141 posts, read 1,517,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
You wouldn't, there are tons of wonderful cities and towns up and down the cascades and up and down the Oregon (and Washington) Coast. IMO it's the best Coastline in the country. I agree that the South offers more towns in general, and more midsized cities in particular, but being in the PNW doesn't just religate you to Portland and Seattle.

Plus again, NOLA aside, Seattle and Portland are better, more urban big cities than any of the other cities in the south (I'm not counting Miami as the south for the sake of argument). Take Atlanta, it's huge, but Portland has better Urban form and is more liveable.

On top of that if you like the outdoors, there is no comparison, the PNW blows the south out of the water with better parks, mountains, a more pristine environment and less people.
Oh no, I agree with Portland and Seattle blowing the Southeast out of the water in terms of Urbanism. But that's the thing though, with my peers? they don't really care lol, trust me I've noticed it. COL, Housing, and Jobs are placed above Urbanism in the Southeast.

I just feel like there's more things to do in the South, and that's not mentioning the outdoor activities. Let's take away the Parks, and Mountains, does the PNW compare to the Southeast in Cultural Activities/Offerings? I think that's usually the question I make before making a decision in most of these debates.

Old 11-10-2018, 10:10 AM

78,518 posts, read 70,430,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
I'd rather be culturally expected to recycle than culturally expected to be religious.
Good point! I also prefer to live where I can be active outdoors in the summer, rather than having to hide out indoors with the A/C. But there may be pockets in the SE, up in the mountains, that don't get so hot, IDK. Still, in the NW, you can have a good climate AND be on the coast, within easy proximity of water sports, beach walks, etc., AND be close to the mountains, too, for hiking.

Old 11-10-2018, 10:12 AM

4,839 posts, read 2,973,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krosser100 View Post
Yeah. I've been to both quite often and I couldn't really think of two more opposite major cities.

Old 11-10-2018, 10:13 AM

78,518 posts, read 70,430,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _OT View Post
I just feel like there's more things to do in the South, and that's not mentioning the outdoor activities. Let's take away the Parks, and Mountains, does the PNW compare to the Southeast in Cultural Activities/Offerings? I think that's usually the question I make before making a decision in most of these debates.
Interesting. What cultural offerings does the SE have? I've been pleasantly surprised to find out, that Seattle has made tremendous progress in that regard, since I lived there. The greater Seattle area almost rivals the Bay Area in that regard, almost. That's really saying something.

Old 11-10-2018, 10:47 AM

7 posts, read 2,000 times
Pacific Northwest easily.

Old 11-10-2018, 12:48 PM

18,081 posts, read 22,914,959 times
I lived in the Nashville area for 5 years way back in 1980 - 1985 or so. As far as things to do - there were always lots of things to do. Lots of events, museums, Broadway shows all came through Nashville. There was lots of cultural events and I attended a lot of speaker events at Vanderbilt University, lots of great music at the Bluebird Cafe, etc. Great local live theater with amazing singers and actors who all come to try and become famous - so the talent is incredible. Heck, even attending church was like going to a professional musical event - just listening to the attendees singing the church songs during service.

So, as far as culture and things to do, I have to agree that there is plenty to do, even in a town the size of Nashville.

We could also easily travel to Atlanta and we often went to the Florida panhandle for weekend vacations.

For me, when I say the culture was uncomfortable for me, I mean the southern way of handling relationships. In the west, we are more direct - you know where someone stands. In the south, there is this subtle dance they do as far as telling you if they want to work with you professionally or want to be your friend or whatever. They act nice and like they're interested, but you have to be from there to get the subtle clues that they really don't want to be your friend, that even if they say "we should do lunch sometime, or yes, it might be good to get together to discuss business soon".....that they are really saying they aren't interested. So, you can waste a lot of time and frustration, as a westerner, trying to figure out where they really stand. I tried figuring them out for 5 years, but really only made friends with people who were from the northeast or the mid-west or the west. I find their culture frustrating and fake - but I think it's just because I don't understand the subtle clues.

There is a country music song that actually explains this in a funny way, where the singer says something like she can basically flip you off verbally, by saying "Bless your heart." They can actually be insulting you, but the words are saying nice things.

Anyway, it was like going to a foreign land for me and I was so happy to be back in the west, where I understand everyone and the body language, and love that I can understand what everyone is really saying.

And as to the weather - I found myself having cabin fever most of the year. There is a small window in spring and fall, when it's decent to spend time outside. Otherwise, you're slimed head to toe with sweat because of the humidity and heat. And then, the winters were icy and wet and really cold. It's just always wet. Not the kind of winter weather that's pleasant, either. Whereas, in the PNW, you can dress in layers and enjoy being outside most of the time. But, the south is more like dealing with the ice storms you can get in the PNW - but most of the winter - where it's more like sleet all the time. It's no fun to go for a winter walk in sleet.

And then the bugs - OMG. Cockroaches everywhere, no matter how you regularly spray, they are a part of your life.

So, for me, who loves to be outdoors, even though there was a lot to do, I was miserable most of the time outside, and ran from a/c to a/c or heated space to heated space, with make-up ruined immediately, and forget about your hairdo surviving from home to wherever you were going, unless you just had naturally straight hair and had a straight hair style.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or