U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2018, 04:24 AM

13,872 posts, read 7,381,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Interesting. What cultural offerings does the SE have? I've been pleasantly surprised to find out, that Seattle has made tremendous progress in that regard, since I lived there. The greater Seattle area almost rivals the Bay Area in that regard, almost. That's really saying something.
Nashville leaps to mind. We fly in for the Pilgrimage Festival every year in Franklin. Saturday night and Sunday were canceled this year for weather. The refund money just hit my credit card. Vanderbilt is Duke with a lousy basketball team. Williamson Couny is one of the most affluent places on the planet. Itís the entertainment industry tax haven. Itís pretty hot in the summer but it has a very extended fall and spring. Lots of green space. Good airport. Plenty of educated people.

My lifestyle is built around salt water and skiing so the PacNW has more appeal to me. I much prefer Vancouver BC to Seattle but I could live in Seattle comfortably. I donít have enough experience with Portland to have a valid opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2018, 10:06 AM

7,580 posts, read 3,992,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrishawke View Post
Wanted to get feedback on cost of living, economic opportunity and quality of life from now to the next decade.
The best thing to do is apply for jobs at companies and see what kind of job offer they make you. If you get a good job, your quality of life should be good.

I think the south has better weather, more sunshine, and better beaches.

Old 11-11-2018, 10:14 AM

78,518 posts, read 70,430,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Nashville leaps to mind. We fly in for the Pilgrimage Festival every year in Franklin. Saturday night and Sunday were canceled this year for weather. The refund money just hit my credit card. Vanderbilt is Duke with a lousy basketball team. Williamson Couny is one of the most affluent places on the planet. Itís the entertainment industry tax haven. Itís pretty hot in the summer but it has a very extended fall and spring. Lots of green space. Good airport. Plenty of educated people.

My lifestyle is built around salt water and skiing so the PacNW has more appeal to me. I much prefer Vancouver BC to Seattle but I could live in Seattle comfortably. I donít have enough experience with Portland to have a valid opinion.
Interesting. I don't think of TN when I thing of the SE. I think of the coastal states. TN, due south of Indiana, is still the Midwest, to me.

Old 11-11-2018, 10:16 AM

7,580 posts, read 3,992,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post

On top of that if you like the outdoors, there is no comparison, the PNW blows the south out of the water with better parks, mountains, a more pristine environment and less people.
I don't agree with this. I got a feeling you haven't spent much time in parks and mountain areas in the southeast.

Also, I think a majority of people would prefer to live in southern cities like Greenville, Charleston, Savannah, etc over Seattle and Portland.

Old 11-11-2018, 11:54 AM

13,872 posts, read 7,381,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Interesting. I don't think of TN when I thing of the SE. I think of the coastal states. TN, due south of Indiana, is still the Midwest, to me.
Kentucky is also considered to be southeast. Franklin TN, one of the high end Williamson County Nashville suburbs, is only 70 miles down I-65 to the Alabama line.

Duke and Vanderbilt create pockets of enlightenment and lots of educated transplants where a person with left coast/right coast values would fit in. There arenít many other places that spring to mind.

Old 11-11-2018, 12:35 PM

5,449 posts, read 2,289,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
And yet I keep hearing about prayers before football games, people being asked about religion at work (anecdotally), and of course a lot of state policy that would never fly on the West Coast.

At the policy level, it doesn't matter that 40% or 45% don't vote that way, or that the core cities are more normal. They're not in power in those states, so a lot of disturbing religious-type stuff happens.

Well, I've been to a lot of high school football games in the South and never heard an invocation before the kickoff. And while I've been asked where I attend church, it's more of a way to have a conversation rather than proselytizing.

In other words, stop getting your opinions from a Dukes of Hazzard marathon on Nick and Nite and realize that perhaps the truth is more complex that what you first assume.

Old 11-11-2018, 12:42 PM

1,826 posts, read 1,248,326 times
Being asked what church you go to isn't the same as expecting you to be religious. Same as how being asked what college you go to or what you study is not the same as expecting you to go to college.

Old 11-11-2018, 01:34 PM

4,477 posts, read 2,659,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
Well, I've been to a lot of high school football games in the South and never heard an invocation before the kickoff. And while I've been asked where I attend church, it's more of a way to have a conversation rather than proselytizing.

In other words, stop getting your opinions from a Dukes of Hazzard marathon on Nick and Nite and realize that perhaps the truth is more complex that what you first assume.
It's a "way to have a conversation"? That's a southern thing...it would be considered rude in the Northwest and it's generally not done. For example I don't have the slightest idea whether my closest coworkers are religious. The question would be viewed as prying, with the potential (perceived at least) to influence their opinion of you.

As for whether I'm aware that there's complexity, you're making some big assumptions off a pretty simple post...ironic eh?

Old 11-11-2018, 01:39 PM

5,449 posts, read 2,289,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
It's a "way to have a conversation"? That's a southern thing...it would be considered rude in the Northwest and it's generally not done. For example I don't have the slightest idea whether my closest coworkers are religious. The question would be viewed as prying, with the potential (perceived at least) to influence their opinion of you.

As for whether I'm aware that there's complexity, you're making some big assumptions off a pretty simple post...ironic eh?

Actually not, given your initial post. Holy smokes, so much stereotyping and laziness in a few short sentences.

Old 11-11-2018, 01:43 PM

13,237 posts, read 24,403,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logicist027 View Post
Problem is that the only nice areas are on the coasts

You don't think it's possible for there to be nice areas inland?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or