U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-11-2018, 04:47 PM
 
3,533 posts, read 1,513,328 times
Reputation: 2981

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
I'd rather be culturally expected to recycle than culturally expected to be religious.
Wow! Unfounded, baseless stereotypes do die hard. But I guess it depends on who's being stereotyped, right??? Ahhh, the sweet, sweet smell of religious bigotry, lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-11-2018, 04:50 PM
 
Location: Arvada, CO
13,237 posts, read 24,403,441 times
Reputation: 13004
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
I don't think an invitation to go to church is prying.

That's like saying somebody inviting you to a party on Friday night is prying.

You haven't explained how somebody inviting you to church 'awkward' or a 'religious discussion'.
Because it presumes that the invited is Christian, and/or because it presumes the invited is interested in sharing their religion (or even lack thereof) with the inviter.

In the South, no bones are made about how Christian the place is. I went to a public high school graduation in Lewis County, TN and they reminded us that they were a Christian school in a Christian town about every five minutes on average, with no less than four breaks to pray during the ceremony.....at a PUBLIC school.

I'm sorry, but as a lifelong Westerner, I found this to be pretty odd, because we are taught the complete opposite of ^that from a pretty early age; and our public schools are decidedly secular across the board. A Northwesterner would likely consider it pretty appalling, because it leaves no place (or at least a considerably less marked place) for those who are not Christian (or any religion at all).

Keep in mind, the Northwest is likely the most apathetic place towards religion in the country.
__________________
Moderator for Los Angeles, The Inland Empire, and the Washington state forums.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-11-2018, 04:51 PM
 
Location: Greenville SC 'Waterfall City'
7,580 posts, read 3,992,169 times
Reputation: 2906
Many people in the south recycle. There are recycling centers all over the place. Every company that I worked for has had recycling bins.

People in the south are no doubt less likely to virtue signal about recycling. It seems like a lot of these environmentalists in the PNW are tooting their horn a little to much about being 'green'. We need Randy Moss to give them a little 'toot toot'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-11-2018, 04:56 PM
 
3,553 posts, read 1,181,509 times
Reputation: 2324
Definitely the Southeast. No contest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-11-2018, 05:02 PM
 
Location: Greenville SC 'Waterfall City'
7,580 posts, read 3,992,169 times
Reputation: 2906
Quote:
Originally Posted by Count David View Post
Because it presumes that the invited is Christian, and/or because it presumes the invited is interested in sharing their religion (or even lack thereof) with the inviter.

In the South, no bones are made about how Christian the place is. I went to a public high school graduation in Lewis County, TN and they reminded us that they were a Christian school in a Christian town about every five minutes on average, with no less than four breaks to pray during the ceremony.....at a PUBLIC school.

I'm sorry, but as a lifelong Westerner, I found this to be pretty odd, because we are taught the complete opposite of ^that from a pretty early age; and our public schools are decidedly secular across the board. A Northwesterner would likely consider it pretty appalling, because it leaves no place (or at least a considerably less marked place) for those who are not Christian (or any religion at all).

Keep in mind, the Northwest is likely the most apathetic place towards religion in the country.
I don't recall religion coming up at school in my small hometown schools in SC in the 80's and 90's. There might have been some prayers but that would probably be if somebody at the school died or the day the Challenger exploded, etc.

The valedictorian of my class did decide to give her personal testimony during her graduation speech and that was awkward because it was long and not the right venue for that, and she also got really nervous. I remember some of my classmates mocking her for it. But she was far more religious than average person and works at a religious college now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-11-2018, 05:10 PM
 
3,533 posts, read 1,513,328 times
Reputation: 2981
Southeast. I prefer the climate. Much prefer the warm/hot, even humid weather. Can swim without freezing. Much sunnier. I would die if I had the drizzly, damp, dank, muddy so often........Both areas have good economies, but the Southeast is much more affordable, so the Buying Power is way better. The growing tent cities and policies that drive home ownership out of reach for most people, I just couldn't live there.........With the rise of and growing influence of Antifa in the PNW, that is very troublesome. Diversity of Thought doesn't seem welcomed in a general sense. My wife's Aunt is very Liberal, gay, and lives just outside of Seattle. Even she says she has noticed and is very horrified at how views not Liberal are not tolerated very well at all. As a Classical Liberal, it is very concerning to her. I've lived in the South almost my whole life and Aunt Sue visits often and loves it here. So, the comment that mhays25 made out of nowhere sort of sums up some of the biases that so exist in the PNW. Clearly, that's not so in all cases. There are plenty of people there who are awesome. I've experienced it. But I have been to the Southeast and PNW enough (as has my wife's aunt and compared experiences) to know that, as of now, overall tolerance and live-let-live is more widespread in the South than in PNW. Go on Youtube and see how Portland is pretty much embraces Antifa as they openly abuse local citizens nearly unabade. It's unreal. I'm sure this post won't fly very well with many on here. But this is my experience. So the Southeast, hands down, for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-11-2018, 05:38 PM
 
Location: North Caroline
250 posts, read 127,923 times
Reputation: 368
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Interesting. I don't think of TN when I thing of the SE. I think of the coastal states. TN, due south of Indiana, is still the Midwest, to me.
Tennessee is part of the Midwest? Interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-11-2018, 05:55 PM
 
Location: Lakewood OH
21,699 posts, read 23,648,620 times
Reputation: 35449
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
So it makes you angry if somebody invites you to their church?

I'm not saying that anybody would invite you to their church. My point is the church invitations are probably extended more to people who are new to the area and don't know anybody. That doesn't mean every newcomer will get church invitations.

I'm still trying to figure how who is expecting me to go to church simply because I live in the south, as you framed it. What are they going to do about it if they find out I haven't been to church in a long time.
I get your point because I experienced it. I moved to this suburb of Cleveland knowing no one. Some neighbors asked what church I was going to and invited me to a lunch at theirs. They were very active socially in their church. I though it was a nice gesture and wasn't at all offended. And I am Jewish.

Subsequently, I have been asked to other lunches at other churches. The churches often have them for anyone in the area who would like to participate.

Living in the PNW for as long as I did, I found people to be very uptight about religion. People other places are so much more casual and relaxed about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-11-2018, 06:03 PM
 
3,553 posts, read 1,181,509 times
Reputation: 2324
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelTerritory View Post
Tennessee is part of the Midwest? Interesting.
Yeah, that's news to me as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-11-2018, 06:09 PM
 
Location: Lakewood OH
21,699 posts, read 23,648,620 times
Reputation: 35449
Quote:
Originally Posted by Count David View Post
Because it presumes that the invited is Christian, and/or because it presumes the invited is interested in sharing their religion (or even lack thereof) with the inviter.

In the South, no bones are made about how Christian the place is. I went to a public high school graduation in Lewis County, TN and they reminded us that they were a Christian school in a Christian town about every five minutes on average, with no less than four breaks to pray during the ceremony.....at a PUBLIC school.

I'm sorry, but as a lifelong Westerner, I found this to be pretty odd, because we are taught the complete opposite of ^that from a pretty early age; and our public schools are decidedly secular across the board. A Northwesterner would likely consider it pretty appalling, because it leaves no place (or at least a considerably less marked place) for those who are not Christian (or any religion at all).

Keep in mind, the Northwest is likely the most apathetic place towards religion in the country.
Yes it does assume the invited is Christian. But everyone in this country assumes that. I always get wished a "Merry Christmas" by people who don't know I'm Jewish and even by some who do but big deal, they're being nice. So I'm not complaining.

I never felt the people inviting me were trying to convert me. They wouldn't get very far if they tried. I'm not really observant of my own religion.

I don't believe religion has any place in public schools btw, but this isn't something that bothers me. I would not, however, like to live in any place like the one you describe in which religion is constantly being shoved down people's throats.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top