Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2018, 09:49 PM

4,255 posts, read 5,933,291 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by march2 View Post
But I have been to the Southeast and PNW enough (as has my wife's aunt and compared experiences) to know that, as of now, overall tolerance and live-let-live is more widespread in the South than in PNW. Go on Youtube and see how Portland is pretty much embraces Antifa as they openly abuse local citizens nearly unabade. It's unreal. I'm sure this post won't fly very well with many on here. But this is my experience. So the Southeast, hands down, for me.
This did cross my mind. There may be a point where I would feel "safer" in the South than in liberal bastions, considering how unhinged certain segments of the liberal or at least left population have become. (I know, cue references to Charlottesville. But if you take an honest look at what happened there, I don't think it fits the narrative.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2018, 09:52 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,392,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
That's all fine and dandy but clearly it's not the same experience for everyone. Even when I lived in Atlanta, I remember being asked about church pretty frequently and random talks of prayers etc.. and how so many conversations would involve God this or bless that. Noone was pushy or rude about it but it was definitely a presence.
Ok, I've lived in SC for about 37 years total. This notion that basically everybody in the south is super religious is not true.

Old 11-16-2018, 09:54 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,201,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
Ok, I've lived in SC for about 37 years total. This notion that basically everybody in the south is super religious is not true.
Are you trying to convince people that the south is not the most religious part of the country?

Old 11-16-2018, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
Are you trying to convince people that the south is not the most religious part of the country?
I'm expressing my opinions based on my own experiences.

You haven't explained how people are dominated by a religious culture in the south. People have the choice to be religious or not in the south.

You make it sound like a theocracy.

I Google mapped churches in Seattle... looks like a.lot of churches in Seattle.

Old 11-16-2018, 09:58 PM

3,332 posts, read 3,691,596 times
Quote:
I dont think anyone said that everyone is religious.. it's more the idea of the region as a whole being more religious thus religion being more prominent in daily dialogue and life..... you cant deny that the SE is the most religious region in the country, plus with the recent political climate and the Southern Baptist and Evagelical ties to the GOP, religion and the South are more intertwined as of late. Think about how many political leaders from the South have been on TV lately talking about God this or the bible that or even the Kim Davis debacle with refusing to issue marriage licenses to a gay couple based on her religious belief.

https://www.citylab.com/equity/2013/...ro-areas/5180/

Old 11-16-2018, 09:59 PM

Quote:
I dont think anyone said that everyone is religious.. it's more that idea of the region as a whole being more religious thus religion being more prominent in daily dialogue and life..... you cant deny that the SE is the most religious region in the country, plus with the recent political climate and the Southern Baptist and Evagelical ties to the GOP, religion and the South are more intertwined as of late.

https://cdn.citylab.com/media/img/ci...%20(1)web_.jpg
I think what you are doing is conflating GOP voters with Christianity. Most GOP stances on issues have nothing to do with religion.

Old 11-16-2018, 10:00 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,201,315 times
Quote:
I dont think anyone said that everyone is religious.. it's more that idea of the region as a whole being more religious thus religion being more prominent in daily dialogue and life..... you cant deny that the SE is the most religious region in the country, plus with the recent political climate and the Southern Baptist and Evagelical ties to the GOP, religion and the South are more intertwined as of late.

Thanks, always good to have data over personal anecdotes.

Old 11-16-2018, 10:01 PM

Personal experience over 37 years is data.

I'd very surprised if you know more people in the south than I do.

Old 11-16-2018, 10:01 PM

30,352 posts, read 19,128,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrishawke View Post
Wanted to get feedback on cost of living, economic opportunity and quality of life from now to the next decade.
I grew up in Louisiana and moved and lived my adult life mostly in PNW.

Cost of living - much cheaper in the south

Economic opportunity - Much better in the PNW

Quality of life....tough one....I will go with the PNW because you are dealing with an overall more intelligent and environmentally cautious populace. On the other hand, people in the south are much friendlier so you will miss that if you've experienced it....my son, who's lived his entire life in the PNW, recently went to visit relatives and a funeral in Louisiana and loved it so much he wants to move there.

p.s. My brother, who lives in a black majority city in Louisiana with a black mayor, Chief of police, etc. says that race relations have never been better and he has no desire to leave the black majority community he lives in partially because he enjoys the warm relations he has with the majority.

Old 11-16-2018, 10:05 PM

3,332 posts, read 3,691,596 times
Quote:
I think what you are doing is conflating GOP voters with Christianity. Most GOP stances on issues have nothing to do with religion.
Unfortunately these things weigh in on the psyche of the masses who are watching GOP political leaders from the South constantly referring to the bible and morals etc....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.