Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2018, 07:43 PM

8,605 posts, read 14,888,798 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parhe View Post
Texas is not part of the Southeast. You are so obsessed with hating Texas that you are desperate to, when unprovoked by others, inject it into conversations that have no connection to the state.

@Also, Shooting Stars, for future reference, and I do not mean this maliciously, it is drier, not dryer as in washer and dryer.
Lighten up, Francis. You by your own admission were born in DFW and have spent most, if not all, of your life there. It's great that it works for you, but stop pretending like it's infallible. In my opinion, DFW's climate, scenery, and outdoor recreation factors all suck. I'll continue to give my opinion on those things, and I couldn't give two craps if you disagree with me.

As far as the southeast discussion, the I-35/45 corridor from Gainesville to Houston east to the Louisiana border has more in common with the southeast than any other region. My remark was simply about how I found DFW to be uncomfortably hot and humid in spite of people in the Metroplex ridiculously asserting that DFW isn't humid. Further south and east are even more humid than DFW so if I didn't like DFW there isn't a snowball's chance in hell I'd like the climate of the southeast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2018, 07:46 PM

1,965 posts, read 1,266,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
The Seattle and Portland areas have NOTHING like the humidity of the South. It's like a different planet.
Exactly, the PNW is WAY more humid than the South, actually. All that moisture allows it to have large amounts of temperate rainforest, which is almost non-existent in the South.

Quote:
our air comes from the Pacific Ocean.
Which means it's humid, with lots of moisture that wrings out to produce your local rainfall, drizzle, overcast, etc.

Now I just need to wait for someone to pick up on some technicalities...

Old 12-11-2018, 09:49 PM

8,859 posts, read 6,859,567 times
You realize that rain isn't the result of ground-level conditions, right?

Also in the summer, the Northwest is less humid than in the winter. We don't have heat and humidity at the same time.

We have nothing remotely like my first visit to the South, stepping off a plane in Fort Lauderdale in April. My only experience with that was from the inside of a zoo exhibit.

Old 12-12-2018, 06:52 AM

1,965 posts, read 1,266,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
You realize that rain isn't the result of ground-level conditions, right?
You realize that ground-level conditions interact with atmospheric processes, right?

Quote:
Also in the summer, the Northwest is less humid than in the winter. We don't have heat and humidity at the same time.

We have nothing remotely like my first visit to the South, stepping off a plane in Fort Lauderdale in April. My only experience with that was from the inside of a zoo exhibit.
The term you guys are looking for is "dew point."

Old 12-12-2018, 07:00 AM

3,211 posts, read 2,242,132 times
I grew up in the Southeast and moved and lived most of my adult life in PNW...so I voted with my feet I guess. PNW has lower crime, better pay, smarter on average and better schools, is prettier, and I hate heat combined with humidity so I prefer the PNW climate. Southeast is cheaper, the people are much friendlier, and they're better football fans.

Old 12-12-2018, 11:39 AM

367 posts, read 420,804 times
More humid, less humid....the fact is:

while PNW got much nicer summer than Southeast,
the rest of the year (8-9 months) in PNW is the most miserable, endless cold rain and drizzle, no sun, mold/algae everywhere, everything rotting, depressing season. Ewww! Everyone there starts to look cranky by February!

Old 12-12-2018, 01:06 PM

2,217 posts, read 3,901,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Usrname View Post

the rest of the year (8-9 months) in PNW is the most miserable, endless cold rain and drizzle, no sun, mold/algae everywhere, everything rotting, depressing season. Ewww! Everyone there starts to look cranky by February!
The PNW has awful weather IMHO. Not enough sunshine for me.

Old 12-12-2018, 10:43 PM

8,859 posts, read 6,859,567 times
Those rainy Northwest winter days aren't quite that bad. My 10-minute walks to work result in getting really wet maybe 5 out of 435 trips per year. Even in the rainiest months it's usually not raining.

Seattle and Portland get fractions of the rainfall of our rainiest areas, and at around 36-38" per year, less than probably anywhere in the South. It's spread over much of the time, but it totals less time than the reputation suggests.

I think the Seahawks were in their third season at the current stadium when they had their first rainy game.

Old 12-13-2018, 12:18 AM

3,211 posts, read 2,242,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Usrname View Post

Right, it's a personal preference by individual. Wife and I grew up in New Orleans area and lived most of our adult lives in the PNW and we don't have a desire to return other than visiting family and enjoying the food and music culture in New Orleans. I agree that you have a prolonged depressing period in the PNW which I hate but I hate the heat and humidity so much that I would put up with the PNW winter rather than face the New Orleans summer.

Old 12-14-2018, 09:32 AM

2,387 posts, read 2,340,968 times
Hmm. Portland and Seattle have turned into absolute crapshows(literally), not the cities they once were. On the other hand the economy in Washington state is better than the southeast. Wages are definitely better, and while more expensive there's no state income tax. Just avoid Seattle proper if you want a better quality of life. Oregon has no sales tax.

If you have a problem with constant rain/leftism, Tennessee would be a better alternative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.