Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2018, 05:49 AM

23,462 posts, read 44,090,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Atlanta is 1,000 feet plus above sea level. The humidity here isn't remotely like the Coastal South, and we get multiple breaks every Summer with cooler air 'wedges' that settle over the southern Appalachians.

It's very comfortable here the majority of the year.
Testify. What is really interesting is this time of year when you see 20-25 degree variables between north and south Georgia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2018, 08:59 AM

1,972 posts, read 1,280,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Be Proud View Post
As I stated before,I am a product of the South.I grew up with Church being very important in my life and that of my family.
I am no longer religious but consider myself spiritual.I live my life among good people.Not black but people.
That said as a black male I believe religion was and is to a lesser extent .key to African American existence.
So much of what we have today is due to the social structure of church in the black community.

No I never said its rude to accept any disrespect to individual freedom of religion or from religion.
I was referring to posters who were saying that's what they hate about the South when asked.Its been made abundantly clear that its not apart of PNW culture but if you are in the South,why get offended if you know this is just apart of the culture in the South?Or why think it was anything more than just someone being friendly?

Its also rude not to speak to someone when you enter a room.Its rude to not hold a door open for person behind you.
Its rude not address elders as Mr or Mrs or Mam or Sir.
All these things are common mainly on the South.Its no law but more of a lack of social norms or graces.

Because being asked if one goes to church or what church one goes to is a personal question.
It can be considered rude to ask personal questions to people one is not acquainted with.
Sure you could say, one should just accept when in the south but than we are back again at the argument why some people prefer the pacific northwest for example. Because the south is too conservative and religious.

Further more, and I have by no means been all over the US but have seen several places in the country north, east, west and south and never found a place where elders are not addressed as Man, Sir, Mr or Mrs. It is not exclusive to the south. Same goes with holding open a door for the person behind you. This is something that is common all over the western world. Again I'm not sure why you would think it is something special to the south.
Talking to somebody when entering a room.... well that might really be a southern thing. Although from my POV I would consider more appropriate and civil to mind ones business instead of engaging in meaningless chit chat unless I have actual business to state.

Old 11-26-2018, 09:25 AM

8,863 posts, read 6,869,333 times
You said that better than I did.

Old 11-26-2018, 11:01 AM

923 posts, read 665,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustermannBB View Post
Because being asked if one goes to church or what church one goes to is a personal question.
It can be considered rude to ask personal questions to people one is not acquainted with.
Sure you could say, one should just accept when in the south but than we are back again at the argument why some people prefer the pacific northwest for example. Because the south is too conservative and religious.

Further more, and I have by no means been all over the US but have seen several places in the country north, east, west and south and never found a place where elders are not addressed as Man, Sir, Mr or Mrs. It is not exclusive to the south. Same goes with holding open a door for the person behind you. This is something that is common all over the western world. Again I'm not sure why you would think it is something special to the south.
Talking to somebody when entering a room.... well that might really be a southern thing. Although from my POV I would consider more appropriate and civil to mind ones business instead of engaging in meaningless chit chat unless I have actual business to state.
WOW.
Then you should stay put.
Dont go South.
Amazing the arrogance.

Old 11-26-2018, 11:27 AM

1,972 posts, read 1,280,302 times
Quote:
WOW.
Dont go South.
Amazing the arrogance.

What arrogance?
I already have been in the south and I personally had no issue there, doesn't mean I can't see where others are coming from if they prefer other regions.

Where should I stay put?

So much for your southern civility I guess.

Old 11-26-2018, 12:02 PM

3,332 posts, read 3,697,576 times
Quote:
WOW.
Dont go South.
Amazing the arrogance.
Where is the arrogance you are seeing? I read it again and must've missed it. He is just stating the differences in how the question "what church do you go to" can be perceived. The question doesn't bother me personally but I can see how the perceived assumption that one does actually go to church can be annoying. I moved away from the South because I thought it felt insular and less wordly.

Also, you have to remember that religion lately is playing a huge divisional role and with the South being most the religious region, people are definitely going to relate seeing politicians professing their love of the church all the while trying to pass stupid laws like HB2 or other stupid religious liberty laws.

You need to look further then just the question of "what church do you go to" and look at how religion can play an impact on the lives of many and how the South is perceived. Especially if religion is being used as a tool to suppress the rights of others. Think about how "thoughts & prayers" has become a joke as of late.

Last edited by Ebck120; 11-26-2018 at 12:13 PM..

Old 11-26-2018, 06:54 PM

8,863 posts, read 6,869,333 times
"Be Proud" doesn't see his own hypocrisy or logic problems.

(I said I wouldn't respond, but he's back with the same insults.)

Old 11-29-2018, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustermannBB View Post
What arrogance?
I already have been in the south and I personally had no issue there, doesn't mean I can't see where others are coming from if they prefer other regions.

Where should I stay put?

So much for your southern civility I guess.
Right.Then why complain about a different culture in their own environment?You said you didnt like it.
ff thats the case why be somewhere you dont like how something is done?Sounds like you want to just tell other people how they should live.
Its already been explained to you this is a part of culture in some parts of the South.Mostly rural at that

Old 11-29-2018, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
"Be Proud" doesn't see his own hypocrisy or logic problems.

(I said I wouldn't respond, but he's back with the same insults.)
Bless your heart.....

Old 11-29-2018, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
Where is the arrogance you are seeing? I read it again and must've missed it. He is just stating the differences in how the question "what church do you go to" can be perceived. The question doesn't bother me personally but I can see how the perceived assumption that one does actually go to church can be annoying. I moved away from the South because I thought it felt insular and less wordly.

Also, you have to remember that religion lately is playing a huge divisional role and with the South being most the religious region, people are definitely going to relate seeing politicians professing their love of the church all the while trying to pass stupid laws like HB2 or other stupid religious liberty laws.

You need to look further then just the question of "what church do you go to" and look at how religion can play an impact on the lives of many and how the South is perceived. Especially if religion is being used as a tool to suppress the rights of others. Think about how "thoughts & prayers" has become a joke as of late.
I dont assume anything.This is what you are doing.Not everyone is trying to figure out your political association just by asking what church yo go to.
If you are African American as I am ,this question has nothing to do with politics as most blacks vote Democratic.

Again its not even that often this even happenes.Bu continuing this dialog it makes it seem like this is an every day occurrence simply is not.
Its an excuse and not a valid one at that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.