Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2018, 07:01 PM

58 posts, read 78,164 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Once again, that is your preference. Everyone's favorite color could be green, that wouldn't make it the best color.
I don't think you'll find a single person that loves severe humidity. You'll find people that find it manageable, but I doubt there is anyone that loves it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2018, 09:11 PM

1,965 posts, read 1,239,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStat View Post
There is no comparison between cloudy and severe humidity. One is manageable the other is unbearable.
Humidity is manageable, constant overcast is unbearable.

Quote:
Still, the PNW has little humidity, you can't argue that.
Yeah, it's almost like the Pacific Ocean doesn't exist...

Quote:
I don't think you'll find a single person that loves severe humidity. You'll find people that find it manageable, but I doubt there is anyone that loves it.
Hi!

Old 12-10-2018, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrappyJoe View Post
Humidity is manageable, constant overcast is unbearable.
What negative effect does overcast have on weather? Personally I enjoy overcast weather, and some people don't, but it has no effect on how you feel in the way that humidity would.

Old 12-11-2018, 10:08 AM

4,001 posts, read 3,218,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _OT View Post
Oh no, I agree with Portland and Seattle blowing the Southeast out of the water in terms of Urbanism. But that's the thing though, with my peers? they don't really care lol, trust me I've noticed it. COL, Housing, and Jobs are placed above Urbanism in the Southeast.

I just feel like there's more things to do in the South, and that's not mentioning the outdoor activities. Let's take away the Parks, and Mountains, does the PNW compare to the Southeast in Cultural Activities/Offerings? I think that's usually the question I make before making a decision in most of these debates.
It seems natural that your peers who live in the south prefer the benefits (COL) that the south offers. I'm sure if you lived in Portland or Seattle your peers would have different values, just based on their choice to live there over Atlanta.

I disagree there are more things to do in the South. You can't just say "Lets pretend there are no mountains or parks or skiing or hiking" Then compare regions. Weather, topography all of that matters when comparing places and having preferences.

Atlanta might have more "Stuff" than Seattle, but the format in which that stuff is presented (Weather, Walk-ability, layout of the city ) matters. Seattle is also cleaner and safer.

Culturally, it's super hard to Compare Seattle with Atlanta as far as offerings go since both are so different. It really just comes down to personal preference.

Old 12-11-2018, 10:17 AM

4,001 posts, read 3,218,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
I don't agree with this. I got a feeling you haven't spent much time in parks and mountain areas in the southeast.

Also, I think a majority of people would prefer to live in southern cities like Greenville, Charleston, Savannah, etc over Seattle and Portland.
Maybe they would, but that certainly isn't reflected in the COL which tends to indicate demand pretty well.

The South East has nice mountains and a few nice parks, but no, it isn't close to on par with the massive amount of public land the the NW, rugged coastline, actual rain-forests, clear unpolluted rivers, skiing, volcanoes, vast deserts etc.

It isn't just the SE, it also has superior outdoors activities to the Midwest and North East too.

Old 12-11-2018, 01:47 PM

Quote:
What negative effect does overcast have on weather? Personally I enjoy overcast weather, and some people don't, but it has no effect on how you feel in the way that humidity would.
Constant overcast puts people in a bad mood.
https://www.verywellmind.com/what-is...sorder-1065408

Old 12-11-2018, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Yes but what effect does it have that humidity does? Overcast doesn't make you feel icky nor does it make you feel "hot".

Old 12-11-2018, 06:21 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,319,152 times
Quote:
No, that only refers to some people, people who are prone to SAD. I’m not. I lived in the PNW for nearly forty year and the overcast skies never bothered me one bit. In the years I lived there, only one person I knew was bothered by it so severely she had to move back to Florida where she was originally from.

The point is, some people are bothered, some are not. I personally cannot handle continual sunny days. I find them enervating.

On the other hand, my sister loves the sun and humidity. The more humidity for her, the better.

Old 12-11-2018, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Overcast doesn't make you feel icky nor does it make you feel "hot".
Neither does humidity if you're acclimated and dress well for it. And again, the PNW is quite a humid place, it has to be to support all that rain and greenery.

Old 12-11-2018, 08:26 PM

8,758 posts, read 6,683,125 times
The Seattle and Portland areas have NOTHING like the humidity of the South. It's like a different planet.

Rain doesn't come from local humidity...our air comes from the Pacific Ocean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.