Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2018, 05:33 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,367,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv95 View Post

Hmm. Portland and Seattle have turned into absolute crap shows (literally), not the cities they once were. On the other hand the economy in Washington state is better than the southeast. Wages are definitely better, and while more expensive there's no state income tax. Just avoid Seattle proper if you want a better quality of life. Oregon has no sales tax.

If you have a problem with constant rain/leftism, Tennessee would be a better alternative.
Well, the good jobs center around Seattle, so if you want those higher wages, I think you'd have to be fairly close.

I used to follow a couple on YouTube who moved from California to Spokane. Spokane seems a little sleepy for a city, and like the wages wouldn't be very high. Judging from what the houses go for, Spokane is definitely cheaper to live in than Seattle.

The problem is that the higher Seattle wages don't buy much. People with really ordinary jobs in the southeast can live in nicer houses. I think you really have to love the natural environment/climate and/or job opportunities in the PNW to make up for the fact that your purchasing power doesn't go as far.

Of course if you are in tech, it's probably hard to turn down the opportunities there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2018, 05:57 PM

10,106 posts, read 7,313,019 times
Quote:
Hmm. Portland and Seattle have turned into absolute crapshows(literally), not the cities they once were. On the other hand the economy in Washington state is better than the southeast. Wages are definitely better

I think wages and the economy in the southeast are as good as Seattle.

There are physicians, engineers, pharmacists, scientists , etc living in the southeast.

Old 12-14-2018, 07:34 PM

29,791 posts, read 18,652,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post

There are physicians, engineers, pharmacists, scientists , etc living in the southeast.
Nowhere in the southeast has wages as good as Seattle (see the site below for wages by area). I looked at average wages in Seattle, Greenville, and Raleigh and it was:

Seattle - $65K
Raleigh - $51K
Greenville - $43K

https://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes_39580.htm#00-0000

I've lived in all 3 of these and Seattle has by far the highest wages. Now, when you factor in cost of living, the difference gets greatly mitigated by housing costs.

Old 12-14-2018, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Nowhere in the southeast has wages as good as Seattle (see the site below for wages by area). I looked at average wages in Seattle, Greenville, and Raleigh and it was:

Seattle - $65K
Raleigh - $51K
Greenville - $43K

https://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes_39580.htm#00-0000

I've lived in all 3 of these and Seattle has by far the highest wages. Now, when you factor in cost of living, the difference gets greatly mitigated by housing costs.
I was talking about disposable income.

I see nice affluent neighborhoods all over the south.

Old 12-14-2018, 09:01 PM

4,696 posts, read 5,794,440 times
Most of you will think this is frivolous but it's important to me...more so than common factors such as "good schools". One reason I might prefer the south is I prefer women who wear a lot of makeup. My impression is Southern women wear the most makeup and Northwestern women wear the least...usually none and it looks awful to me. Thankfully I live in a NW city that is 50% Hispanic and the latinas wear a ton of makeup. If it wasnt for the Hispanic population I would relocate because of this.

Old 12-14-2018, 11:27 PM

2,369 posts, read 2,316,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post

White collar maybe. A warehouse worker, basic machine operator, custodian or a similar blue collar worker wouldn't even start out a $10/hr in the southeast with some exceptions. The Seattle area many would start out at $14.

Old 12-14-2018, 11:40 PM

Quote:
White collar maybe. A warehouse worker, basic machine operator, custodian or a similar blue collar worker wouldn't even start out a $10/hr in the southeast with some exceptions. The Seattle area many would start out at $14.
what is 14 dollars/hr going to do for you if the housing costs and sales tax are so high.

i'm pretty sure a warehouse worker in SC can make 12-15 a hour

It is interesting Seattle is being compared against the entire southeast which has a lot more companies and jobs. I recommend focusing on employers and being flexible on location to maximize salary.

Old 12-15-2018, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
Most of you will think this is frivolous but it's important to me...more so than common factors such as "good schools". One reason I might prefer the south is I prefer women who wear a lot of makeup. My impression is Southern women wear the most makeup and Northwestern women wear the least...usually none and it looks awful to me. Thankfully I live in a NW city that is 50% Hispanic and the latinas wear a ton of makeup. If it wasnt for the Hispanic population I would relocate because of this.
dude, I love honesty but you know the PC religion would freak out over these type comments. I moved from Texas to Portland and was shocked at the Birkestock, no makeup, armpit women there...and was so glad my wife was from the South

My wife had to adjust to getting herself dolled up to go to work and not receiving any positive feedback from the men (scardy cats) like she did in Texas.

I think I'll listen to Hank Jr. song "Texas Women" whilst sipping mi vino tinto...hasta luego

Old 12-15-2018, 03:27 AM

5,126 posts, read 7,367,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post

dude, I love honesty but you know the PC religion would freak out over these type comments. I moved from Texas to Portland and was shocked at the Birkestock, no makeup, armpit women there...and was so glad my wife was from the South

My wife had to adjust to getting herself dolled up to go to work and not receiving any positive feedback from the men (scardy cats) like she did in Texas.

I think I'll listen to Hank Jr. song "Texas Women" whilst sipping mi vino tinto...hasta luego
I don't know if the PC crowd would freak out, because you're allowed to have preferences.

I don't think A LOT of makeup looks good. I prefer a reasonable amount - enough to highlight the features without drowning them. Most Southern women don't wear too much.

My father was a bit shocked by both the men and women the first time he went to the PNW in the 1990s. The grunge era was in full swing.

He couldn't get over the difference in clothing.

Old 12-15-2018, 04:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
I don't know if the PC crowd would freak out, because you're allowed to have preferences.

I don't think A LOT of makeup looks good. I prefer a reasonable amount - enough to highlight the features without drowning them. Most Southern women don't wear too much.

My father was a bit shocked by both the men and women the first time he went to the PNW in the 1990s. The grunge era was in full swing.

He couldn't get over the difference in clothing.
I agree too much makeup is not becoming either. It's the feminine look versus the Butch look...feminine wins it for me. To be fair, there are some hot women in Seattle also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.