U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2018, 08:39 AM

5,091 posts, read 2,143,556 times

Advertisements

Not to play up the blue vs. red states thing, but homelessness seems more visible in highly-blue areas, and less in red. I bet the actual homelessness numbers could be similar, but the visibility factor is different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2018, 10:33 AM

6,575 posts, read 3,667,513 times
Protecting these people is becoming an issue. We don't have a huge number of homeless but they are visible and vulnerable so it would be helpful to get them into some type of residential setting with some security and health services. Of course, the question of where to locate such a place will take forever to resolve.

Old 11-13-2018, 11:43 AM

1,507 posts, read 524,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parhe View Post
I am going to assume that it is difficult to measure homelessness but, according to the link below, of the 25 most populous metros, the five with the lowest rates of homelessness are Houston, the lowest, followed by Orlando, Detroit, Riverside-San Bernardino, and Dallas-Forth Worth.

https://endhomelessness.org/resource...teractive-map/
Huh? Detroit? Among the lowest rates of homelessness!

Old 11-13-2018, 12:04 PM

409 posts, read 246,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
But the numbers paint a different story! Minneapolis/St Paul, the coldest metro of the 25 largest, has a rate of 15/10k. Meanwhile, the much warmer metros of Phoenix, Atlanta, San Antonio, Miami, Charlotte, Riverside et al, Orlando and Houston all have lower rates of 14/14/13/13/12/7 in that order.
A lot has to do with how the police handle it. In Seattle, for example, there are homeless advocates who won't allow them to be moved along. Here the plan is "just let them do what they want and maybe it will go away".

We do have homeless organizations but they are all enmeshed with the city government, who is still spending money on many frivolous things. I just got a flyer asking for input on tarting up a one block alley for $1 million. They care VERY DEEPLY but you know, there's just no money for the homeless. Although we have declared an "emergency" and everyone is very busy hand wringing and hiring more consultants to study the problem!

Old 11-13-2018, 03:12 PM

2,480 posts, read 2,225,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by march2 View Post
Great list! I'd never seen this before. Looks like San Bernardino, St. Louis, Charlotte, Orlando, Houston, Austin, and Detroit have the least.
St. Louis' homeless population comes across larger than it is because many of them are clustered around downtown rather than out in many of the neighborhoods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
This.

Chicago and Minneapolis are good examples. Sure, you will see them during the warmer parts of the year, but the numbers pale in comparison to the west coast cities, and they are mostly seasonal homeless. Iíve seen very few homeless in Chicago during the winter months, because the climate keeps them in check.
Try looking under the LSD overpasses in Uptown. The city has been trying to stop them from setting up tent encampments by powering washing under the overpasses regularly, but Uptown still seems to be a big homeless destination in the city.

Old 11-13-2018, 05:11 PM

3,597 posts, read 1,529,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justabystander View Post
Chicago is has a lower rate than Charlotte, and one of the lowest in the U.S at 10 according to this. There are some downtown, but not really alot, and the same ones over and over again.
Yeah, I had noticed that too when I've visited Chicago. I love the city. I was just naming off some of the cities off of the top of my head that I had seen on the map with the dots. I live in the Charlotte area, so it caught my eye more I guess, lol. From what I've seen when I'm in downtown Charlotte day or night, like you said with Chicago, there are not that many homeless people relative to what I've seen in many other large cities I visit. I do use common sense in any large city I go to, but I've never felt unsafe or been harrassed in either Charlotte or Chicago. Not once. Both downtowns are also clean and inviting. I love them both.

Old 11-13-2018, 08:37 PM

2,970 posts, read 4,344,284 times
Homelessness in Dallas doesn't seem to be a big visible problem for a city this size. And the ones I've encountered haven't really been aggressive.

Old 11-18-2018, 05:20 PM

29,944 posts, read 27,375,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Not to play up the blue vs. red states thing, but homelessness seems more visible in highly-blue areas, and less in red. I bet the actual homelessness numbers could be similar, but the visibility factor is different.
Well generally, homelessness is more visible in large cities, all of which at least tend to lean blue. If you mean that homelessness is more visible in the most liberal cities, I don't think that's true across the board but it must be kept in mind that the most liberal cities are typically the most expensive. But I agree with you concerning the visibility factor and how it may impact the numbers.

Old 11-18-2018, 05:51 PM

5,612 posts, read 6,093,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerseusVeil View Post
St. Louis' homeless population comes across larger than it is because many of them are clustered around downtown rather than out in many of the neighborhoods
They are usually around the Biddle House and St. Patrick's Center.
Not really an over abundance of them DT (compared to larger cities)
after Larry Rice closed.

At one point St Louis had a huge homeless problem. I don't know where they went to.

Old 11-20-2018, 10:46 AM

21,193 posts, read 30,379,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by march2 View Post
Great list! I'd never seen this before. Looks like San Bernardino, St. Louis, Charlotte, Orlando, Houston, Austin, and Detroit have the least.
I find that difficult to believe unless the ratio is applied to the population of the MSA versus the city itself. Orlando has a very significant and visible homeless population in it's downtown area and is by no means minimal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or