Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2018, 10:53 AM

88,567 posts, read 84,777,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Yeah, I see homes in NJ, 30 miles away in the 350 k range, nice ones too. That's inexpensive.
Not impossible, but not the usual for only 30 miles out.

Old 11-15-2018, 12:18 PM

5,016 posts, read 3,916,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Yeah, I'd assume homes 30 miles outside of NYC for $350k exist only in less than desirable areas. Also, to be fair, NYCs transportation options and 360 degree suburban sprawl makes for a TON of opportunity to live within 30-45 miles of the city. So, comparing the burbs to a place like Denver or Seattle gets pretty hairy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2018, 12:20 PM

32,932 posts, read 36,351,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I wonder if it's in an undesirable area?

Old 11-15-2018, 12:51 PM

12,837 posts, read 9,552,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
Yeah, I'd assume homes 30 miles outside of NYC for $350k exist only in less than desirable areas. Also, to be fair, NYCs transportation options and 360 degree suburban sprawl makes for a TON of opportunity to live within 30-45 miles of the city. So, comparing the burbs to a place like Denver or Seattle gets pretty hairy.
To be clear, I looked up Piscataway. I understand noone in their right mind would commute dailey from there to NYC.

Old 11-15-2018, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Of course, but very limited. You can find several $10k a month apts in every building in Manhattan. I think there is a shock when people from other areas of US hear that someone in Manhattan pays $3000 for an average studio.

I know this thread has taken a real estate approach, but COL goes beyond real estate. When I have friends visit me from Southern cities, they can not get over $20 for a cocktail, or $20 for a hamburger. And that doesn't even go into taxes, insurance, and other factors of living. New York (specifically Manhattan) is an extremely expensive place to live. One of the few US cities where someone makes $100K a year and has a roommate.

There was a funny viral FB video about a girl showing the world her tiny West Village studio that she rents for $2500 a month and it resulted in outrage from people who live in cities where people just don't understand that New York (and San Fran) are different.
In my opinion, you get what you pay for. NYC is the ultimate place to live.

Old 11-15-2018, 01:44 PM

9,379 posts, read 9,331,923 times
Quote:
Exactly, and a lot people can't get that simple logic through their heads.
I live in Manhattan because its amazing, lol. Not for everyone of course, but its expensive for a good reason.

Old 11-15-2018, 01:51 PM

3,416 posts, read 2,455,833 times
Quote:
I agree 100% with your first statement and can get behind your second statement if it wasn’t for the weather. I’m heading there tomorrow morning for 10 days and my wife said it’s currently snowing. I called it an early day today and just got done surfing where it’s currently 70 degrees in San Diego. I know they wouldn’t be what they are today, but imagine if NYC and LA switched locations. Regardless of the weather I am looking forward to it, I do love NYC.

Old 11-15-2018, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
I agree 100% with your first statement and can get behind your second statement if it wasn’t for the weather. I’m heading there tomorrow morning for 10 days and my wife said it’s currently snowing. I called it an early day today and just got done surfing where it’s currently 70 degrees in San Diego. I know they wouldn’t be what they are today, but imagine if NYC and LA switched locations. Regardless of the weather I am looking forward to it, I do love NYC.
There's this energy in the air that it has that other cities don't. I kind of feel the same with LA, but maybe that's coming from within. Love both cities even though they're different. Cursory research shows anywhere livable in southern California is very pricey.

Old 11-15-2018, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Exactly, and a lot people can't get that simple logic through their heads.
I live in Manhattan because its amazing, lol. Not for everyone of course, but its expensive for a good reason.
Yep. If you want a huge house in a nice subdivision for a good price, well, that's almost anytown in middle America. 1 isn't better than the other, it's a matter of fit and preference.

Old 11-15-2018, 02:36 PM

3,332 posts, read 3,696,789 times
Quote:
Yep. If you want a huge house in a nice subdivision for a good price, well, that's almost anytown in middle America. 1 isn't better than the other, it's a matter of fit and preference.
true story... I remember shelling out $1500 for a tiny studio in the East Village in my early 20's! I wouldn't trade that experience for anything and am so glad I did it. People just don't get it or they can't do it so they divert the story to something more in their favor. You have one Manahattan but you have 100s of suburban anywheres to experience the same thing. COL is living is high in certain places like NYC, DC, SF etc but people continue to move to these hubs not only for the jobs but for the experience and exposure to so many things that living anywhere, anywhere wouldn't provide. The best cities in the world, whether it's your cup of tea or not have a high COL whether they are geographically constrained i.e. SF, Vancouver or have room to expand i.e. Paris, Seoul, Sydney.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.