U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2018, 12:44 PM

3,754 posts, read 3,862,067 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post

People seem to think New York is affordable outside of Manhattan, that is not the case....
It is relatively affordable when you go outside city proper, but inside city limits its pretty expensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2018, 12:59 PM

4,876 posts, read 3,002,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
It is relatively affordable when you go outside city proper, but inside city limits its pretty expensive.
Yeah, I see homes in NJ, 30 miles away in the 350 k range, nice ones too. That's inexpensive.

Old 11-14-2018, 02:21 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,127,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
I am talking about New York City, no metro area.

The poster mentioned NYC being affordable outside of Manhattan when that is not the case. New York City as a whole is very expensive. It is not until you travel through the region where you find affordability.

The only person who make a claim that New York outside of Manhattan is equal to Seattle in COL has never lived in New York.

Old 11-14-2018, 02:58 PM

17,739 posts, read 4,100,476 times
San Francisco and New York

Old 11-14-2018, 03:11 PM

2,090 posts, read 1,111,446 times
Quote:
Always has to be someone.... That is not true. Measuring NYC (ALL 5 BOROUGHS), it is still number two. San Jose is almost equal.

I don't know where you are getting Seattle and San Diego from?? There is a huge drop off between real estate prices and general cost of living between New York and those two.

But yes, if you are measuring Manhattan, that would be number 1.

People seem to think New York is affordable outside of Manhattan, that is not the case....
Can I see some data on that? Realtor and Zillow analytics will show that, within city boundaries, San Jose and San Francisco is (literally) almost 100% more expensive than NYC. Unless taxes, groceries, cars, healthcare are infinitlely more expensive in NYC, i'm not sure how you come to that conclusion. I like research organizations that compile cumulative data. As seen above, I also like hard data that companies like Zillow, Realtor, Compass compile.

In my own experience, I didn't find living in NYC any different than living in Boston (as a non-owner). PPSQFT in San Francisco is the highest across the board by a pretty good margin, while NYC and Boston are pretty similar. San Francisco, to me, was absolutely the most expensive all around.

https://www.zillow.com/new-york-ny/home-values/

Via the same tool, NYCs current median sale price is $574k, Boston $625k, Seattle $694k, SF $1.3M, SJ $1M.

Last edited by mwj119; 11-14-2018 at 03:24 PM..

Old 11-14-2018, 03:13 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,127,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
Can I see some data on that? Realtor and Zillow analytics will show that, within city boundaries, San Jose is (literally) almost 100% more expensive than NYC. Unless taxes, groceries, cars, healthcare are infinitlely more expensive in NYC, i'm not sure how you come to that conclusion.

I like research organizations that compile cumulative data. As seen above, I also like hard data that companies like Zillow, Realtor, Compass compile.
That link you posted has Manhattan as number 1 and Brooklyn as number 3...

Old 11-14-2018, 03:25 PM

Quote:
That link you posted has Manhattan as number 1 and Brooklyn as number 3...
Correct that link has Manhattan at number one, Brooklyn was listed too. None of the other Burroughs were in the top 10, and upon further research, not even in the top 20. Imagine how far that pushes the data left?

Check the above numbers in Zillow market value. The delta is wild.

Old 11-14-2018, 03:28 PM

4,876 posts, read 3,002,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
Correct that link has Manhattan at number one, Brooklyn was listed too. None of the other Burroughs were in the top 10, and upon further research, not even in the top 20. Imagine how far that pushes the data left?

Check the above numbers in Zillow market value. The delta is wild.
Take a look at this:

https://photos.zillowstatic.com/p_h/...0000000000.jpg

Better value than what you would find in most western cities.

Old 11-14-2018, 05:00 PM

5,442 posts, read 8,164,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellside High View Post
For small cities, Aspen Colorado would be near, or at the top of the list.
Yes, Aspen has the highest real estate market in the country. The lowest priced house on the market was just under $600k (Last year). I really don't understand...

Old 11-14-2018, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
Yes, Aspen has the highest real estate market in the country. The lowest priced house on the market was just under $600k (Last year). I really don't understand...
The lowest priced house on the market in Brookline, MA is $1.1 extending up to $70M, and thatís a Boston suburb of 60k people. I canít even imagine what itís like in some of the large suburbs in the Bay Area..

Why do we think Aspen has the highest cost of real estate? A quick search tells me thatís not true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or