U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2018, 06:52 PM

1,231 posts, read 507,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
Yes, Aspen has the highest real estate market in the country. The lowest priced house on the market was just under $600k (Last year). I really don't understand...
Not even close. While itís the most expensive zip code in CO, itís was #37 in the nation last year. This is going off of sale price. You can hardly get a 1bd condo in many CA beach communities for $600K, and thatís not counting all the towns that donít even have inexpensive condos, or very few of them to bring down the median price.

https://www.propertyshark.com/Real-E...odes-in-the-us
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2018, 06:54 PM

2,086 posts, read 1,104,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Take a look at this:

https://photos.zillowstatic.com/p_h/...0000000000.jpg

Better value than what you would find in most western cities.
Yeah, itís kind of odd. In these conversations, people always have this idea of NYC that itís an untouchable reprieve for the ultra affluent. Itís certianly expensive, but there are plenty of areas that offer more affordable housing. If Manhattan was a city in a silo, this conversation would be very different.

I wouldnít be surprised if SFís real estate ends up at 150% more expensive than NYC in the next five years. Itís.... Wild..

Old 11-14-2018, 07:44 PM

5,859 posts, read 14,049,839 times
Are we talking about COL (as the OP specified) or real estate prices ? The two are not the same.

Old 11-14-2018, 08:44 PM

4,856 posts, read 2,984,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
Yeah, itís kind of odd. In these conversations, people always have this idea of NYC that itís an untouchable reprieve for the ultra affluent. Itís certianly expensive, but there are plenty of areas that offer more affordable housing. If Manhattan was a city in a silo, this conversation would be very different.

I wouldnít be surprised if SFís real estate ends up at 150% more expensive than NYC in the next five years. Itís.... Wild..
Growing up, I've always considered NYC hands down the most expensive, but from my research, Southern Cal is much more expensive than the New York burbs. Hell, 2300 square foot for under 400k? That would be hard to find in Denver.

Old 11-14-2018, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Take a look at this:

https://photos.zillowstatic.com/p_h/...0000000000.jpg

Better value than what you would find in most western cities.
That was just a photo. Here's another house:https://www.trulia.com/p/nj/piscataw...54--2008401248

Old 11-14-2018, 09:07 PM

2,086 posts, read 1,104,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
Are we talking about COL (as the OP specified) or real estate prices ? The two are not the same.
What is a bigger indicator of the COL of an area than real estate? Don’t you think it’s kind of an important part of the conversation? If homes are 100% more expensive in SF than NYC, the focus is going to be on real estate. I’m not sure saving $.25 on a gallon of milk is very notable..

What is notable is that income tax in CA is the highest in the country. As is gas I believe. Property taxes are significantly higher in NY. Other than that, everything else is probabaly comparable.

Old 11-14-2018, 10:01 PM

6,947 posts, read 6,558,057 times
Quote:
Growing up, I've always considered NYC hands down the most expensive, but from my research, Southern Cal is much more expensive than the New York burbs. Hell, 2300 square foot for under 400k? That would be hard to find in Denver.
I was just in Manhattan last weekend. My friend is renting an 1800 square foot apartment for $9500 a month and itís nothing fancy. They just managed to squeeze 4 bedrooms in it.

Old 11-15-2018, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
I was just in Manhattan last weekend. My friend is renting an 1800 square foot apartment for $9500 a month and itís nothing fancy. They just managed to squeeze 4 bedrooms in it.
Right I think Manhattan as a stand alone is probably more than SF. I'm sure there are 10k a month condos in Denver or any downtown though.

Old 11-15-2018, 08:35 AM

5,716 posts, read 5,108,901 times
Quote:
Right I think Manhattan as a stand alone is probably more than SF. I'm sure there are 10k a month condos in Denver or any downtown though.
Of course, but very limited. You can find several $10k a month apts in every building in Manhattan. I think there is a shock when people from other areas of US hear that someone in Manhattan pays $3000 for an average studio.

I know this thread has taken a real estate approach, but COL goes beyond real estate. When I have friends visit me from Southern cities, they can not get over $20 for a cocktail, or $20 for a hamburger. And that doesn't even go into taxes, insurance, and other factors of living. New York (specifically Manhattan) is an extremely expensive place to live. One of the few US cities where someone makes $100K a year and has a roommate.

There was a funny viral FB video about a girl showing the world her tiny West Village studio that she rents for $2500 a month and it resulted in outrage from people who live in cities where people just don't understand that New York (and San Fran) are different.

Old 11-15-2018, 08:57 AM

3,768 posts, read 2,558,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
Not even close. While itís the most expensive zip code in CO, itís was #37 in the nation last year. This is going off of sale price. You can hardly get a 1bd condo in many CA beach communities for $600K, and thatís not counting all the towns that donít even have inexpensive condos, or very few of them to bring down the median price.

https://www.propertyshark.com/Real-E...odes-in-the-us
MY town made the list, but yeah the entire west LA, but most of the homes are beaujtful, and the weather is beautful year round as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or